collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1547925 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #1215 on: November 22, 2018, 05:47:54 PM »
Now we have a real manager, it beggars belief why so many defended Bruce for so long.

He's gone. Why not look forward instead of griping?

Offline glinch

« Reply #1216 on: November 22, 2018, 06:14:29 PM »
Now we have a real manager, it beggars belief why so many defended Bruce for so long.

His track record of promotions, possibly, earned him the right of having a crack a couple of times. Was always going to be short term Bruce, at best, and it didn't work out - unfortunately.

Buy yeah, you're right Clampy. Onwards and upwards!

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1217 on: November 22, 2018, 06:58:58 PM »
Searching for perfection.  I like it.  The beauty of this squad is, with this coaching set up, we have no idea how good we are yet. Very exciting.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #1218 on: November 22, 2018, 09:17:18 PM »
Watching Harry Redknapp reminiscing on IACGMOOH (I know it was just on the tele) and talking about watching the racing with SAF just before the game starts, you might as well have been listening to SB

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1219 on: November 23, 2018, 07:30:20 AM »
Just listened to his interview.

Interesting that the used Mondeo Salesman at B9 was trying to do his Fergie mind games impression about pressure on us being top 2 and Smith contrasting that by candidly saying how it's the aim.

He fills you with confidence listening to him speak. Rest defence is a new one for me.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1220 on: November 23, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »

i'm sure you would like us to forget about Bruce
your the one who backed him to the hilt for the last two years with a 10 minute window after the play off final before reverting to type and backing him yet again

we are now seeing the damage he has done by him while you were saying he was worth sticking with month after month day after day defending him to the death

its obvious now that the man was useless and we've wasted two years with him,
we will move on time will fade the memory of just how bad he was,
but for some it will take a bit more time than you his biggest fan

Offline Clampy

« Reply #1221 on: November 23, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »

your the one who backed him to the hilt for the last two years with a 10 minute window after the play off final before reverting to type and backing him yet again

we are now seeing the damage he has done by him while you were saying he was worth sticking with month after month day after day defending him to the death

You OK hun?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1222 on: November 23, 2018, 01:59:16 PM »

You OK hun?

I am now pet

Offline Pvb1968

« Reply #1223 on: November 23, 2018, 03:09:27 PM »

Must admit I feel the same about Bruce and that he was a chancer, Dean Smith is in a different league and it's so refreshing.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1224 on: November 23, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
He wasn't a chancer, it's just that his style of management has had its day.  You are seeing the same thing with MO'N, McCarthy et al.  Even Woy to an extent.  Up and at them with a bit of magic from a star player every now and then used to work.  Now it doesn't so much. 

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1225 on: November 23, 2018, 03:57:24 PM »

Brilliant.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1226 on: November 23, 2018, 05:32:28 PM »
I think comments about Bruce will carry on for the next few months because a lot of people will see good performances under Smith, with the same squad, as evidence that they were right to want Bruce out 12-18 months ago and replaced with a manager that does tactics.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1227 on: November 23, 2018, 05:44:54 PM »
He wasn't a chancer, it's just that his style of management has had its day.  You are seeing the same thing with MO'N, McCarthy et al.  Even Woy to an extent.  Up and at them with a bit of magic from a star player every now and then used to work.  Now it doesn't so much.

Quite right. One is a manager living off his reputation as a player and limited success as a manager and the other is trying to build a reputation as a manager by wanting to learn.  Style of management has a shelf life unless you move with the times. Football has moved on tremendously from Bruce's early days in management but I'm afraid he hasn't.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #1228 on: November 23, 2018, 06:15:56 PM »
The don’t look back thing, while I understand the sentiment, is a bit daft. A lot (most?) of what is on this site goes back beyond current players and management. Plus, it’s pretty natural to talk about the last manager when he’s helped shape this season so far and when he happens to be so starkly different in approach to the current one.

In fact the best way of analysing Smith’s qualities, right now, is to look at what he’s doing with the same squad Bruce couldn’t get a song out of.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:25:32 PM by themossman »

Offline Clampy

« Reply #1229 on: November 23, 2018, 07:10:05 PM »
It's early days with Smith but so far it does seem to be a very good fit and the Derby second half especially was extremely encouraging. In regards to Bruce, what's gone is gone, for me anyway. Onwards and upwards.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:11:53 PM by Clampy »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal