collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:58:40 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:58:20 PM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 07:57:58 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AV84
[Today at 07:57:29 PM]

Champions League Contention by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 07:55:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:39:20 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 07:34:00 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 07:33:20 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1547538 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #1230 on: November 23, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »
Every fan of every club on the planet talks about old games, past managers, past players and so on. It's why we have a Memories section.

I can't think of a single manager we've had that people have stopped mentioning less than 2 months after they left.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1231 on: November 23, 2018, 07:59:11 PM »
Not every fan has a poultry farm of egg on thier face though.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1232 on: November 23, 2018, 08:11:21 PM »
I disagreed a lot with Clampy over Bruce but there's no need for comments like that.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1233 on: November 23, 2018, 08:41:58 PM »
I think the majority of people on here were of the opinion that he should have gone after the play of final, I was was one of them. I understood why he was kept on during the fiasco off the pitch during the summer and I got why the new owners kept him on whilst they got settled in and got their CEO in place. I don't have any regrets about getting behind him up until the final and I'm now happy to look forward to seeing what Smithy do. That seems to bother some people but there's not a lot I can do about that and I don't really care if I'm honest.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1234 on: November 23, 2018, 08:51:18 PM »
I'll also say that if you didn't care you wouldn't keep going on about him  :-* :-*

Online Clampy

« Reply #1235 on: November 23, 2018, 08:57:02 PM »
I'll also say that if you didn't care you wouldn't keep going on about him  :-* :-*

Haha, I meant more about what others think rather than Bruce to be honest.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #1236 on: November 23, 2018, 10:48:09 PM »
This is why Steve had to move on.... football has changed and he had not

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-axel-tuanzebe-news-15459036

"Dean Smith was named as the former United defender's replacement last month, with John Terry his assistant, and Tuanzebe says the former Brentford manager is aiding his progression.

"It's been good, he's had a positive impact on everyone," Tuanzebe told MUTV. "We love his philosophies, we love his way of football."

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #1237 on: November 23, 2018, 11:52:21 PM »
londonvilla, you only have to listen to an interview with Dean Smith and realise we had to move on. None of the bollocks that they are great and we will give it a go or we will be there or thereabouts. Loved his comment today that he is not obsessed with beating the noses, he is obsessed about winning every game. I recall someone having a little dig about him being at airport the monday before last and suggesting he was off for a holiday like last manager. He was off to a conference in Edinburgh for a motivational speaker re all blacks. He is always looking to improve and I have been a villa fan for many years but so excited by his comments

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #1238 on: November 24, 2018, 04:01:31 AM »
I can’t believe anyone would lament the loss of Steve Bruce. And as this is s Dean Smith thread I’m glad he’s his replacement.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1239 on: November 24, 2018, 08:57:30 AM »
My opinion is that the history of our football club is a proud one, not a carpet to have every mistake swept under.  The factual, statistical history of the club is that the past decade has been a managerial catastrophe culminating by the two years of one of the worst managers of the lot.  His departure and the scattering of his apologists made me very happy.

To comply with the intent of this thread, the appointment of Dean Smith has given me the joy of watching Villa again.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1240 on: November 24, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »
My opinion is that the history of our football club is a proud one, not a carpet to have every mistake swept under.  The factual, statistical history of the club is that the past decade has been a managerial catastrophe culminating by the two years of one of the worst managers of the lot.  His departure and the scattering of his apologists made me very happy.

To comply with the intent of this thread, the appointment of Dean Smith has given me the joy of watching Villa again.

In the last couple of months watching Villa has gone from being a chore to something I once again look forward to with a hint of excitement about what the future holds for us.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1241 on: November 24, 2018, 09:11:23 AM »
Doesn't he hold the highest win percentage of any Villa manager? If we're talking statistical history.

Tempered by being in this league of course and his run this season might well have changed that.

Anyway, Chicago Villa and his snidey remark aside we would be talking about old sleeves and boots. Nobody is sad he's gone and there's plenty to be cautiously excited about with Deano.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1242 on: November 24, 2018, 09:25:44 AM »
Doesn't he hold the highest win percentage of any Villa manager? If we're talking statistical history.

Tempered by being in this league of course and his run this season might well have changed that.

Anyway, Chicago Villa and his snidey remark aside we would be talking about old sleeves and boots. Nobody is sad he's gone and there's plenty to be cautiously excited about with Deano.

I found the 'egg on face' remark very funny actually bearing in mind the person who posted it once thought he was being threatened by a Basil Fawlty quote.

Yep, It's a shame it didn't work out with Bruce but I'm not sad he's gone. Like you say, there is genuine cause for optimism now.

Offline Pvb1968

« Reply #1243 on: November 24, 2018, 12:38:56 PM »
Bruce was a chancer and paid a fortune for the privelage. Never want someone of his ilk to get near villa Park again.

Online The Edge

« Reply #1244 on: November 24, 2018, 03:40:31 PM »
My mind is made up on Bruce. I don't think he was a chancer I think his past record earned him the extra time he was granted in the hope of us achieving our goal -promotion. However i do think he'd realised he wasn't going to achieve this in the early stages of this season and he slowly unravelled in front of our eyes. His ridiculous attack on the fans after the Rotherham game was the final straw for me. His team selections were as half- baked as his tactics. He got his massive pay off and swanned off into the sunset. For people like myself who grew increasingly pissed off with Bruce it's over now. We move on and I really think we've found a gem in Dean Smith. I love listening to him. Not a platitude in sight just thoughtful and intelligent pearls of wisdom. The era of the dinosaur is over. We're going into unchartered waters with the new owners and we have Deano at the helm. This is the dawn of the enlightenment at B6 and it's the most excited I've felt about the villa in a decade. Bring it on.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 03:44:37 PM by The Edge »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal