collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522107 times)

Offline Villa75

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #300 on: October 11, 2018, 01:21:04 PM »
P!ease, PLEASE, play attacking football, Mr Smith!

We have the attacking capabilities to worry every single team in this division. Give the opposition plenty to worry about from the off. Sure, we'll concede here and there, but we do that anyway.

Go for it from the off, and the fans will back you all the way. 👍

Offline TonyD

« Reply #301 on: October 11, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
Attack, attack, attack....

Online simon ward 50

« Reply #302 on: October 11, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »
I wonder if we will start playing Dexys' "Geno" again?

We can hope!

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #303 on: October 11, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »
I didn't really have a first choice as there was never a standout candidate in my mind. There were unrealistic combinations I thought would be great but one or the other was probably never gettable.   In the end, after having satisfied me in getting rid of Bruce, I decided to just sit and await the decision of the club,  who after all are in the best position to see who meets the club's needs and direction.

Having seen how the whole structure is being put together, this probably pleases me more than the selection of manager. Having said that, Smith would appear to be a very good fit with that structure, with the extra strength of Terry. The appointment of Terry could be a very good decision as he could take some of the media focus off Smith, allowing him to get on and do what he does best.  The days of a single manager with a couple of coaches have gone. Today it is all about having a management team.

People need to give this time as it is a complete change in thinking, especially when you take into account the number of players that are here on loan and those that we probably not give new contracts to.

I fully support the approach taken by the Club and look forward with optimism for the first time in years.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #304 on: October 11, 2018, 02:15:24 PM »
A few more Brentford fans rang up Talksport this morning saying what to expect from Smith. "You'll enjoy watching football again, an attacking more expansive way of playing but do expect to concede sloppy goals because of the risk he takes going forward".

He'll love Jedinak then.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #305 on: October 11, 2018, 02:18:56 PM »
That’s where Terry becomes critical. Divide and conquer in terms of responsibility.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #306 on: October 11, 2018, 02:28:22 PM »
So as he’s a local bloke what are all our tenuous links to Deano?

I met him at Boldmere St Michaels when he was Walsall manager. He was with a mate of mine who went to school with him and was watching their youth team play in the Bham Senior Cup. Nice fella, just seemed a straight up normal lad.

He went to my old school, as people used to talk about him a few years later when I was there (and he was playing for Walsall) , so I've kept an eye out for him ever since.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #307 on: October 11, 2018, 02:35:02 PM »
A few more Brentford fans rang up Talksport this morning saying what to expect from Smith. "You'll enjoy watching football again, an attacking more expansive way of playing but do expect to concede sloppy goals because of the risk he takes going forward".

He'll love Jedinak then.

I reckon we've seen the last of Jed in central defence and not before time. 

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #308 on: October 11, 2018, 02:38:50 PM »
Impressive conduct from NSWE and delivered very neatly. I'm looking forward to seeing us push forward on the field and off.

Good luck to our new management team and can we have the round badge back please?

Offline ian c.

• GM : 19.06.2024
« Reply #309 on: October 11, 2018, 02:55:23 PM »

He'll love Jedinak then.

I think we might have to go the full Kevin Keegan until we can get another central defender and left back.

Offline davidb

« Reply #310 on: October 11, 2018, 03:07:51 PM »
Seems good on paper, I'll say it quietly, but Warburton looked good at Brentford and the wheels fell off once he left without the infrastucture brentford have in place to support him

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #311 on: October 11, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »
So as he’s a local bloke what are all our tenuous links to Deano?

I met him at Boldmere St Michaels when he was Walsall manager. He was with a mate of mine who went to school with him and was watching their youth team play in the Bham Senior Cup. Nice fella, just seemed a straight up normal lad.

He went to my old school, as people used to talk about him a few years later when I was there (and he was playing for Walsall) , so I've kept an eye out for him ever since.

What school did he go to? I grew up in Great Barr myself. A mate of mine used to drink with Smith’s brother in the Scott Arms.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #312 on: October 11, 2018, 03:25:26 PM »
Seems good on paper, I'll say it quietly, but Warburton looked good at Brentford and the wheels fell off once he left without the infrastucture brentford have in place to support him

Warburton had never made a single league appearance as a player. He played non-league with Enfield and Boreham Wood then was in charge of Watfrod's academy. Dean Smith made nearly 600 league appearances in a career that took in five clubs and has eight years of fairly successful management under his belt at Walsall and Brentford. Also Warburton always comes across to me as a self important twat.  As for a supportive infrastructure surely Purslow, Pitarch and Terry amongst others are there for that.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:27:49 PM by Damo70 »

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #313 on: October 11, 2018, 03:27:43 PM »

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #314 on: October 11, 2018, 03:34:39 PM »
Accurate article from The Metro.

Now that blokes knows his stuff, or reads this site regularly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal