collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522549 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #285 on: October 11, 2018, 10:15:12 AM »
We have a very strong squad of attacking players, who the last coaches weren't getting anywhere near enough out of.  So, we've appointed a strong coach with attacking tendencies.  Perfectly logical.  Not the Villa way (thank fuck).

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #286 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:39 AM »
Smithy has pedigree in team play and nurtuing players to be moved on.

I take the first bit but the second is less necessary right now it's a case of having the developed players and getting them consistently performing .

Already the villa score every game it's just having the right cohesion in team play.

It can just be a matter of how much the players adapt as much as how Smithy adapts to the club.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #287 on: October 11, 2018, 10:34:37 AM »
I went out to the cinema as part of our work do with free beer which was really nice so I didn't find out until after 12 O Clock about Dean Smith which I'm really pleased about and I was tipsy so now I can say welcome to Aston Villa Dean Smith and welcome back JT.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #288 on: October 11, 2018, 10:42:18 AM »
brentford fans raving bout him on TS

It was the start of something special and they will be in for 2/3 of our players , the football was so exciting , you will look forward to going down on a Saturday , Villa could be top 2 now.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #289 on: October 11, 2018, 10:49:58 AM »
Richard O'Kelly to join as his assistant.
Is this now confirmed anywhere ?

This guy is 61 so it's good have a mixture of youth , the recent retired JT , and O'Kelly who works well with Smith and has a wise old head and great experience in football assisting Smithy as part of coaching team

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #290 on: October 11, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »
He'll do. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but he's got lots of promise. And although it shouldn't be a factor, the fact he's one of us is undeniably a nice bonus.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #291 on: October 11, 2018, 11:16:20 AM »
Cometh the hour,cometh the man
Haven't felt this excited at a managerial appointment since BFR.New era beckons.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #292 on: October 11, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »
I am guessing no press conference/unveiling today, especially considering the news about Doug?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #293 on: October 11, 2018, 12:02:29 PM »
I'd imagine he will have some words to say about Doug at his unveiling. I'd also assume that all the new appointees will be at a joint press conference, either today or in the near future.

Offline supertom

« Reply #294 on: October 11, 2018, 12:13:47 PM »
Of all the choices that were realistic, he's actually the safest bet I think. Henry would have been a big gamble. Faria too. Rodgers was never going to happen.
He plays the right way. He's taking a step up, but he's a Villa fan. He gets the club. He's got JT with him, and that will ease the connection to the squad.

Keeping Brentford as a top half fixture was no mean feet, particularly given their best players were always getting pilfered (including by ourselves.). He has a good squad at his disposal. He has time to sign another CH from the free agents if he wants to. But what I suspect, is that we'll finally see our attacking players excelling.

Give him time. A top 6 push is the target. Automatic is unrealistic now to be honest. He'll need 10 games at least to really implement what he wants. If that happens in conjunction with 'new manager bounce' then great, but you can't always rely on that. He's got so much drab negativity to drain out of our playing style. It goes right back to Randy's era. Our predominant go to, for decades now, has been defence minded, negative football. The last manager who actually looked liked they were attempting to change our footballing philosophy with any fore-thinking was probably Houllier (and he of course wasn't entirely successful). I think Smith will look to play the right way, and stick by that ethos, rather than retracting to a negative mindset. With our current squad, attack is the best form of defence.

This is also potentially good news for Scott Hogan too.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #295 on: October 11, 2018, 12:38:49 PM »
Good appointment on the face of it. Terry likewise. Should make a good team. The whole structure is starting to look really good, but you know when we've been shit for eight years and everything we've tried has turned to shit, I'm finding it very difficult to get excited and to have the belief that we're going to turn it around. I certainly hope this is the turning point though.

Online Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #296 on: October 11, 2018, 12:50:49 PM »
Richard O'Kelly to join as his assistant.
Is this now confirmed anywhere ?

This guy is 61 so it's good have a mixture of youth , the recent retired JT , and O'Kelly who works well with Smith and has a wise old head and great experience in football assisting Smithy as part of coaching team
Sky sources saying it's happened. So that's two Great Barr  guys at the helm. Just needs Craig Shakespeare to join as well and John Terry will be talking like a Peaky Blinder within a week!  :)

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #297 on: October 11, 2018, 12:51:13 PM »
At last it looks like there's a serious bit of thinking behind the appointment(s).

Smith has been part of a very co-ordinated set up at Brentford and The Villa will be a very different prospect....that's why I think that Pitarch is also a key appointment, and that Smith's role is "coach".
More background staff to come but I feel optimistic at last, where I felt despair over the last 6 months!

Come on you Villa boys!

Offline achilles

« Reply #298 on: October 11, 2018, 12:53:52 PM »
Let's all be positive as this is the start of a new era, with a coach that actually knows what he is doing and has proved it!

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #299 on: October 11, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »
Totally behind this appointment.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal