collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522273 times)

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #255 on: October 11, 2018, 08:31:41 AM »
So as he’s a local bloke what are all our tenuous links to Deano?

I met him at Boldmere St Michaels when he was Walsall manager. He was with a mate of mine who went to school with him and was watching their youth team play in the Bham Senior Cup. Nice fella, just seemed a straight up normal lad.
My mate plays golf in the fourball that goes off behind him and his most Sunday’s at Great Barr so chats to him pretty regularly. Speaks highly of him but no idea what his golf is like.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #256 on: October 11, 2018, 08:31:53 AM »
While he wasn't my first choice he does give us a coach manager rather than someone who just picks the side on match day. Credit must go to all at Villa for the way they have kept all happenings in-house and have given us a clear structure for the first time in many years. I will be waiting with anticipation to see the line up against Swansea hopefully we will have players playing in their natural positions. UTV.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #257 on: October 11, 2018, 08:32:29 AM »
No leaks in the media about the appointment prior to the announcement, that's how a club should act.
James Nursey was tweeting that Faria was about to sign for Villa just a few hours before Smith was announced, they just make it up for sales and clicks.
I think Kendrick tweeted a link to Dexy’s Geno an hour or so before the appointment

Offline nigel

« Reply #258 on: October 11, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »
Is this the first time we have had a manager who was a childhood fan of the club?

I can think of a few who adopted the club but no lifelong supporters.

Can’t help but think that the club have called the fans bluff on this one. We got what many asked for (shudders at Lambert memories).

Could be they've called everyones bluff.
Dean Smith could have been the n.o 1 all along but they allowed the media to speculate with the likes of Henry, Faria, Rodgers etc

To what end?

I think it's clear we talked to other managers, they weren't interested, but we were always working off of a shortlist and eventually got the man best suited for the role when he responded positively to an approach.

In other words, we did it right. For once.

Was it?

If you want to believe everything the media say that's fair enough. For me it was the media name dropping and then the persons (Henry, Rodgers) in question saying they hadn't been contacted, or, as with BFS and Yorke, they would if asked.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #259 on: October 11, 2018, 08:33:54 AM »
The speed at which it's happened suggests we were talking to a number of people at the same time, which is a world away from Fox's shortlist of 1.

Ł300k in compensation Percy is reporting. I doubt he's on Bruce's fat deal either.

I'd expect us to have been sounding out interest prior to Bruce's sacking or at the very latest, when he was sacked.

If the others (Henry & Faria) weren't interested and Rogers either wasn't interested or was too expensive to prise away then Smith would have been the leading contender from a very early stage.

Personally, I'm happy with the appointment, as most appear to be.  It's not perfect but no appointment is ever going to be.  After Henry, Smith would have been my choice and importantly (to me anyway) is the fact that decent football is going to be played.  I was at breaking point after 2 years of Bruce and couldn't have faced much more.

I posted it on another thread but if anyone has time, this 20 minute video of Smith on a Q&A session is v interesting:

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #260 on: October 11, 2018, 08:35:01 AM »
Brentford have been playing with a 20 year old centre back this season. So I imagine he'll be prepared to stick with tuanzebe there

Quite what he does about the left back and keeper situation in the short term, I've no idea

I think it's probably nyland and Taylor and try and build their confidence up. Maybe you say to them that they've got the shirt for a good run of games to help with that

Problem is they're both a bit of a liability

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #261 on: October 11, 2018, 08:40:09 AM »
Brentford have been playing with a 20 year old centre back this season. So I imagine he'll be prepared to stick with tuanzebe there

Quite what he does about the left back and keeper situation in the short term, I've no idea

I think it's probably nyland and Taylor and try and build their confidence up. Maybe you say to them that they've got the shirt for a good run of games to help with that

Problem is they're both a bit of a liability

Remember Terry played with most of our defence last season so knows exactly who is, and isn't, up to it. The keeper situation is the one area of concern but I'd soon expect that to get sorted with clear instructions.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #262 on: October 11, 2018, 08:41:29 AM »
Wasn't my 1st choice but i'm quite happy about it all the same. I just hope he gets the time to turn it round. After wasting 3 seasons on Bruce i think a lot of people won't be prepared to give Smith that leeway.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #263 on: October 11, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
Feeling really happy about this this morning. Henry was like the hot girl who’ll inevitably break your heart, Smith is like her ugly mate who can suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #264 on: October 11, 2018, 08:53:33 AM »
Feeling really happy about this this morning. Henry was like the hot girl who’ll inevitably break your heart, Smith is like her ugly mate who can suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

Haha

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #265 on: October 11, 2018, 08:58:41 AM »
Any news on whether Deano is bringing any of his backroom team?
 I think this is important.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #266 on: October 11, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »
Started warming to the idea of Smith being appointed a couple of days ago. It makes sense and I wish him and JT all the very best.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #267 on: October 11, 2018, 09:03:49 AM »
Great news. A man with a clue, finally! If Smith gets us back to where we belong, he'll be a hero forever. I for one, cannot wait to see Villa playing good football again.

On the march!

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #268 on: October 11, 2018, 09:09:45 AM »
Any news on whether Deano is bringing any of his backroom team?
 I think this is important.

Check out @MattHughesTimes’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MattHughesTimes/status/1050295836297580544?s=09

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #269 on: October 11, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »
Richard O'Kelly to join as his assistant.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal