collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1538652 times)

Offline rougegorge

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7650 on: June 21, 2020, 07:03:40 PM »
I am beginning to wish the season had ended on PPG if we are going to stick with this and go down with a whimper...actually without a whimper based on that today.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7651 on: June 21, 2020, 07:08:47 PM »
Have I imagined it or did Smith say something earlier in the season that essentially suggested he didn’t expect to get anything against the games against the bigger clubs? If so our performances against reek of having zero confidence and an expectation of failure.

Think it was after Spurs in February he said along lines of these results wouldn't define our season. Pretty odd considering all the shock results our relegation rivals had at that point v top 6/7.

Always liked Dean due to first watching him manage Walsall in 2011 so always great to see managers rise up the leagues and get chance in premier league through hard work. And he did get us promoted.

I worry if we get crowds back in things would get pretty ugly early next season if we had a poor start to the season. Wouldn't want that so better to let him go the day after West Ham game.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #7652 on: June 21, 2020, 07:09:20 PM »
Has to go after today. Our only hope of surviving now is a new manager bounce like what we had when Sherwood came in. Like Dean, we all do, but miles out of his depth at this level unfortunately.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #7653 on: June 21, 2020, 07:10:46 PM »
He wont go today no point in sacking him now. Stay up thank him and get rid, go down thank him and get rid

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7654 on: June 21, 2020, 07:11:36 PM »
I have a worrying feeling that we’ll keep him on irrespective of what happens.

Even if we lose every single game left?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #7655 on: June 21, 2020, 07:15:44 PM »
Given that this was the game that Dean was supposedly needing to win to save his job, according to the press, before the lockdown, it will be interesting to see if he survives.  I think he will but we are fresh out of ideas, quality and invention.  We are docile in our efforts to try to win games.  As I said in the post match thread, surely the owners cannot be happy with this shit?

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #7656 on: June 21, 2020, 07:21:56 PM »
Have I imagined it or did Smith say something earlier in the season that essentially suggested he didn’t expect to get anything against the games against the bigger clubs? If so our performances against reek of having zero confidence and an expectation of failure.

Think it was after Spurs in February he said along lines of these results wouldn't define our season. Pretty odd considering all the shock results our relegation rivals had at that point v top 6/7.

Always liked Dean due to first watching him manage Walsall in 2011 so always great to see managers rise up the leagues and get chance in premier league through hard work. And he did get us promoted.

I worry if we get crowds back in things would get pretty ugly early next season if we had a poor start to the season. Wouldn't want that so better to let him go the day after West Ham game.

That’s a valid argument when you’re not throwing 3 points to Bournemouth.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #7657 on: June 21, 2020, 07:24:10 PM »

Well he was right in his indication about not accruing points against the top teams.

Just 2 points out of a possible 45 against the top 10!!

However, I know we had a long break, but I think he may be wrong on this statement, made after beating Watford:
 "I have said teams of mine usually finish the season better and I am expecting a better points haul over the second half of the season..."

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #7658 on: June 21, 2020, 07:25:50 PM »

That’s a valid argument when you’re not throwing 3 points to Bournemouth.
Exactly he put all his eggs in one basket and then dropped points anyway.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7659 on: June 21, 2020, 07:32:34 PM »
Dean Smith, like Paul Lambert has been reduced to precisely the opposite of the confident, progressive manager he arrived at our club as. Shrivelled to the size and complexion of an old man’s nut sack.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7660 on: June 21, 2020, 07:34:57 PM »
I have a worrying feeling that we’ll keep him on irrespective of what happens.

Even if we lose every single game left?

Quite possibly, because I fear the narrative would shift to, “well he’s got experience in the Championship and he’s got us promoted before.”

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #7661 on: June 21, 2020, 07:40:50 PM »
Covid 19 will probably save him his Job

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #7662 on: June 21, 2020, 07:42:12 PM »
‘Our season won’t be defined by these games against teams above, below or in roughly the same bit of the league as us’

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #7663 on: June 21, 2020, 07:53:25 PM »
Dean Smith, like Paul Lambert has been reduced to precisely the opposite of the confident, progressive manager he arrived at our club as. Shrivelled to the size and complexion of an old man’s nut sack.

Villa Park has been long established as a managerial graveyard. But that clown Suso has to go too.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #7664 on: June 21, 2020, 07:59:29 PM »
Employ a bang average Championship manager and what can you expect - he/we got lucky last season
I am disappointed with the owners - I thought they would have been more savvy - extending his contract was a poor move .
He certainly appears to give other teams far too much respect - no wonder the players aren't up to the fight when the manager gives up prior to kick off

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal