collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522308 times)

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7620 on: May 30, 2020, 10:08:55 PM »
One of my unexpected tasks at work last week was researching providing some kind of assistance for an employee who is terminally ill and feeling totally neglected due to Corona Virus. Until then, I'd never heard of Anticipatory Grief.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #7621 on: May 30, 2020, 10:50:56 PM »
Sad news. I watched the episode of After Life last night where the character playing Gervais' dad (a Villa fan in real life too) died. Dementia is heartbreaking.

On a selfish level I wonder if Dean will be in the right headspace for the Sheffield United game.
As harsh as it sounds I would imagine the dementia has led to Dean Smith grieving for his dad long before he died.
[/quote s
Sad news. I watched the episode of After Life last night where the character playing Gervais' dad (a Villa fan in real life too) died. Dementia is heartbreaking.

On a selfish level I wonder if Dean will be in the right headspace for the Sheffield United game.
As harsh as it sounds I would imagine the dementia has led to Dean Smith grieving for his dad long before he died.
Your probably right. My Nan died 17 years or so after being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and now my mom has it, diagnosed about 3 years ago. It’s an awful disease. This lockdown has really messed with my mom’s routine and her husband is really struggling. We’ve broken a few rules just to help him out. So yep, I’d say Smith has been grieving already.
RIP Smith senior, sad times.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7622 on: June 01, 2020, 09:18:14 PM »
Been busy with family things recently, so catching up with the forum.

It's so particularly sad that this happened on the anniversary of the play-off win.

RIP Dean's Dad & condolences to family & friends.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #7623 on: June 03, 2020, 03:19:32 AM »
Let's be fair to Deano he brought Grealish game on heaps and bounds since he's been here . The high performance levels achieved by Jack are a result of Dean Smith as coach.
Smith and his way of coaching has undoubtedly really developed Grealish on field game.

Grealish confirms what I said
"The manager has been a massive influence on me,” he says. “I couldn’t give him enough credit. I see him as like a father figure to me, I can go and speak to him about anything. I feel that’s the same with him a bit; he can ask me about what I’m feeling about training, matches. For me, I could speak to him about anything, on or off the field. Since he has come in he has been brilliant. I have played the best football of my career since he got appointed.”

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:39:10 AM by Vill I An »

Offline mike

« Reply #7624 on: June 04, 2020, 08:52:21 PM »

Yes. It isn’t harsh, it’s true. By the time my dad died, I had said goodbye to him years since. He died between the semi against Albion (me and my sister watching the thread while holding his hand) and the final.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #7625 on: June 18, 2020, 12:48:33 AM »
Dean Smith was saying "we're out to prove people wrong " and "everyone has written us off "
I fully support him however cant help thinking a live crowd at the match today some may have shown a discontent.
And I can't totally disagree if some would have been moaning at the lack of urgency.
Context removed of course.
And leaving out perspective of first game back.
Wins are what we need and giving comments about appraisal and putting things right on the pitch he needs to follow up with all his good coaching , motivating and leadership skills and get these players winning matches.
Sheffield Utd weren't up to much in an attacking sense and so Villa seemed solid enough.
It's another ball game against an attack minded Chelsea so despite a pleasing clean sheet in first match back it's going to be a real test to see if players have learned during the break and training last few weeks what to do.
Let's hope can get the vibrancy back and would like to see Smith even more vocal and urging players for the win

Come on Dean . Still with you !
Up the villa!

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #7626 on: June 20, 2020, 12:53:44 AM »
Dean Smith trying to be honest and upbeat after our first game at least.

"I said after the game there was no form leading into the game and I think we have shown that our form is growing," Smith said.

"I thought we were the aggressors, I think the fact that Sheffield United only had one shot on target all game showed that defensively we were very good.

"When you come out of a game like that disappointed it shows that you're on a good thing."

Come on Deano
Up the villa! 

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #7627 on: June 20, 2020, 06:42:36 AM »
Talks a good game.  Says all the right things, sadly, the execution isn't there with these players.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #7628 on: June 20, 2020, 12:14:00 PM »
More nice words from Dean.
Let's hope players have learnt !

Smith has been talking about improvements:

"We’ve all taken a little bit of stick and rightly so with the goals we’ve conceded – coaches and players,” said Smith.

“Our defensive organisation hasn’t been what we’ve been working on the training ground and we’ve managed over the last 12 to 14 weeks to put that right.

“We’ve got to do it now against some real top drawer players in Chelsea. My centre-halves know too well how good Tammy can be so we’ve got to be even better now on Sunday.”
It is not just the defenders,” he added. “It is a team game, you score from defenders sometimes playing a ball through but you have to defend as a team as well.

“There are certain things we have worked on with the back four but it is more the group chats we have been having.

“There are lots of different things we have shown them but certainly the video work during the lockdown, allowing them to talk about it freely and what they have seen and what they think we can do.

We are guiding them in that direction and the players have picked up an awful lot. We have taken away grey areas and made it very black and white."

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #7629 on: June 21, 2020, 06:14:44 PM »
Good bye. Adios. Arrivederci. Take a taxi - don't care where its headed so long its out of B6. And take the fuckwit with you (Terry).   

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #7630 on: June 21, 2020, 06:16:01 PM »
time's up Dean and it should have been so months ago.

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #7631 on: June 21, 2020, 06:18:10 PM »
Should have gone in January. He’s taking us down with zero fight. An awful manager.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7632 on: June 21, 2020, 06:21:17 PM »
Today was really poor. So lacking in energy, intensity, and most importantly any clear plan of attack.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #7633 on: June 21, 2020, 06:22:56 PM »
Massively out of his depth, next job will be at a Middlesbrough/Reading kind of club, unfortunately we will be playing against him next season.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #7634 on: June 21, 2020, 06:30:05 PM »
Sorry Dean if you are true supporter resign tonight and let someone else save the team from relegation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal