collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654414 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #3045 on: January 18, 2022, 12:41:07 PM »
The bottom line is that people are suggesting we should sell him. The rumour is that Man Utd want him. We shouldn't sell because there's no need, they are our competitorbthese days, and he is a brilliant player. The only side he wouldn't get in right now is Man City, and potentially Chelsea, but other than that, he'd get in any team.

We should keep him.

Every player loses the ball, every player tries stuff that doesn't work, we sold the one who does it the least, we should be keeping our next best at it. He also wins lots of free kicks and keeps the tempo going.

If really silly money is offered, then I suppose every player has his price, but in reality, his value to us is higher than the numbers quoted. £40m? You're joking, £60m? No thanks, hes not for sale.

Each to his own, but I think you're wildly overstating his ability. No way does he get into Liverpool's team, or even West Ham's ahead of Soucek and Rice, or Leicester ahead of Ndidi, Tielemans, Barnes or Maddison. I don't think it's the trying positive stuff that doesn't work that's the main problem with him, it's the number of times he'll do something daft in a dangerous position and just give it away quite often leading to a chance for the opposition.

From the weekend he'd get into those teams.

He's better than Jones, Oxlade Chamberlain and could arguably get in ahead of Henderson at Liverpool.

Lanzini, Vlasic at West Ham?

Leicester haven't played but I'd say he'd get in their side. They aren't settled and have chopped and changed a lot recently Tielemens, Dewsbury-Hall, Perez, Lookman all playing in the last few games. I'd argue he'd be ahead of them but get your point.

It's funny how there's always someone in our team who all of sudden isn't good enough. I guess we'll know we're the finished article when none of our current lot are left, barring Martinez, though even he chucked one in his own net on Saturday.

I know we have to grow and evolve but sometimes we need to let players do that too.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3046 on: January 18, 2022, 12:42:38 PM »
If John McGinn could be split up, would you sell his arse to Manchester United or keep it and sell them the other bits?

Well, his arse is worth about £45m on its own.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3047 on: January 18, 2022, 12:45:12 PM »

He's better than Jones, Oxlade Chamberlain and could arguably get in ahead of Henderson at Liverpool.

Leicester haven't played but I'd say he'd get in their side. They aren't settled and have chopped and changed a lot recently Tielemens, Dewsbury-Hall, Perez, Lookman all playing in the last few games. I'd argue he'd be ahead of them but get your point.

It's funny how there's always someone in our team who all of sudden isn't good enough. I guess we'll know we're the finished article when none of our current lot are left, barring Martinez, though even he chucked one in his own net on Saturday.

I know we have to grow and evolve but sometimes we need to let players do that too.

So we're judging the strength of players on one particular weekend?! OK, so Martinez wouldn't get into a single one of those teams!

And nobody said "McGinn isn't good enough". He's fine for where we are now, trying to crack the top half. If we're going to be top 6 regulars, then I'd argue we need better, but then that probably applies to 3 or 4 players.

Online Drummond

« Reply #3048 on: January 18, 2022, 12:52:01 PM »

So we're judging the strength of players on one particular weekend?! OK, so Martinez wouldn't get into a single one of those teams!

And nobody said "McGinn isn't good enough". He's fine for where we are now, trying to crack the top half. If we're going to be top 6 regulars, then I'd argue we need better, but then that probably applies to 3 or 4 players.

Nah, I just couldn't be arsed trawling through every team for the last few weeks, barring Leicester, because they haven't played, and the players you mentioned hadn't played much for them.

Liverpool, but more frequently Man Utd have been linked with signing him. They are the established Top 6 sides, and if they think he'll improve them, I'm pretty sure that's another reason to keep him. I happen to think he could play for any team in the League, I'm just not sure Man City or Chelsea would pick him.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3049 on: January 18, 2022, 02:02:25 PM »
If McGinn, Watkins and Mings, three players who it has been suggested we should upgrade, went on the market tomorrow they'd all end up in better teams than we are right now.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #3050 on: January 18, 2022, 02:11:18 PM »
If McGinn, Watkins and Mings, three players who it has been suggested we should upgrade, went on the market tomorrow they'd all end up in better teams than we are right now.
100%

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #3051 on: January 18, 2022, 03:13:52 PM »
He makes mistakes, and he has his off days, but I find it a joy to watch McGinn giving his all in a Villa shirt, the epitome of the player willing to run through the proverbial brick wall, and capable of individual brilliance too.  He's a special player, and special to Villa - 'upgrade' my arse. 

Online Drummond

« Reply #3052 on: January 18, 2022, 03:51:41 PM »
He makes mistakes, and he has his off days, but I find it a joy to watch McGinn giving his all in a Villa shirt, the epitome of the player willing to run through the proverbial brick wall, and capable of individual brilliance too.  He's a special player, and special to Villa - 'upgrade' my arse.

Hi, I'd like a bit more pert and definitely less hairy please, especially around the sphincter.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3053 on: January 18, 2022, 04:35:32 PM »
Why would he want to go to that Vipers Nest right now?
They don't even know who the manager is next season, so he could end up with a manager that does not rate him. Its classic Manure crisis management, appease the fans by buying a player that they don't know what to do with.
McGinn will do well to avoid that shit show.

Offline Cliftonville Villlain

« Reply #3054 on: January 18, 2022, 05:08:45 PM »
Why on earth would he leave Villa Park? He's found his home and we love him. Have a horrible feeling Grealish will be back within two years to re-establish the pairing though.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #3055 on: January 18, 2022, 05:25:54 PM »
Why on earth would he leave Villa Park? He's found his home and we love him. Have a horrible feeling Grealish will be back within two years to re-establish the pairing though.

If Man U qualify for the Champions League, he's away. I think you are right about Grealish, I think it would be a mistake to bring him back. Since Gerrard cam in we look a much better team without him. Dean just couldn't find a way to play in his absence which cost him his job.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3056 on: January 18, 2022, 05:55:31 PM »

If Man U qualify for the Champions League, he's away.

I'm not sure what you are basing that on. He's been linked with them before and he's still here and besides, the next manager up there might not want him.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #3057 on: January 18, 2022, 05:55:55 PM »
Simple. Regular European football.

Its a lure we will continue to battle against until we get there. And when we do, other clubs will complain because we will do what others did to us. Its a cycle. 

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #3058 on: January 18, 2022, 06:04:43 PM »
Simple. Regular European football.

Its a lure we will continue to battle against until we get there. And when we do, other clubs will complain because we will do what others did to us. Its a cycle. 

Totally agree, I think Watkins would be at risk because of this if he was scoring more goals. But I think the Arsenal rumours are rubbish because of his low goal return this season.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3059 on: January 18, 2022, 06:07:33 PM »
We don’t need to upgrade McGinn
He’s already a top six rated player in my view

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal