collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653892 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2685 on: September 13, 2021, 09:39:15 PM »
These days, if you say you're up to your knees in Fenian blood, they throw you in jail.

Do they? What, just for saying you’re up to your knees in Fenian blood? They arrest you and throw you in jail?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2686 on: September 13, 2021, 09:41:13 PM »
When did this come in?

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2687 on: September 13, 2021, 09:46:41 PM »
When did this come in?

After my cousin, whose Dad is Irish and Mom is black, was called a 'cheating n*gger IRA fucking ******' on a football pitch. The parent who shouted that wasn't reprimanded or anything. My cousin was 13.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #2688 on: September 13, 2021, 09:47:06 PM »
At the recent old firm game the Rangers fans were referencing that Celtic fans should go home because the famine was over.
This is vent occurred 170 years ago and pre dates the clubs.
And there was no away fans.
It’s a societal problem and until it’s taken seriously it will always be there.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #2689 on: September 13, 2021, 09:54:06 PM »
These days, if you say you're up to your knees in Fenian blood, they throw you in jail.

Do they? What, just for saying you’re up to your knees in Fenian blood? They arrest you and throw you in jail?

You honestly can't say anything. These days, if you say 'bollocks', free speech activists throw you in jail.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #2690 on: September 13, 2021, 09:59:33 PM »

You honestly can't say anything. These days, if you say 'bollocks', free speech activists throw you in jail.

These days, you can’t even quote Fawlty Towers without them warning the authorities that you’re a  trans-atlantic hitman, these days.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #2691 on: September 13, 2021, 10:01:48 PM »
Hahaha!

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #2692 on: September 13, 2021, 10:14:43 PM »
Wonder if the attitude would be different if it was n***ers blood or Jewish blood or Muslim blood

Offline Rory

« Reply #2693 on: September 13, 2021, 10:28:01 PM »
At the recent old firm game the Rangers fans were referencing that Celtic fans should go home because the famine was over.

Yep. As an English guy from an Irish background, I had a very strange experience in Glasgow. I visited Ibrox just to have a look and I was intimidated, followed, suffered sectarian abuse, spat at in the street. It was like they smelled the cabbage and white pudding in my genes.

I thought 'oh great, I got shit around Ibrox for having an Irish-looking head, I'll get shit around Parkhead for having an English accent' but everyone was really nice.

Our hotel receptionist, who was a Hearts fan, said they get more tourists and half/half scarf types at Celtic Park, so it's a bit more relaxed around there.

Don't know if that's true or not, but I was 16 when I went, and I was far more worried about getting anti-English crap from Celtic fans than anti-Irish stuff from Rangers fans.

Can't say I'll be going back in a hurry.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2694 on: September 13, 2021, 10:28:08 PM »
Wonder if the attitude would be different if it was n***ers blood or Jewish blood or Muslim blood

Eh? Everyone's agreeing it's bad.

Offline Rory

« Reply #2695 on: September 13, 2021, 10:32:10 PM »

Eh? Everyone's agreeing it's bad.

Yeah, it's been called out and condemned. I just don't think somebody saying 'fenian bastard' is as emotive as somebody saying 'black bastard' or whatever.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #2696 on: September 13, 2021, 11:10:48 PM »

Yep. As an English guy from an Irish background, I had a very strange experience in Glasgow. I visited Ibrox just to have a look and I was intimidated, followed, suffered sectarian abuse, spat at in the street. It was like they smelled the cabbage and white pudding in my genes.

I thought 'oh great, I got shit around Ibrox for having an Irish-looking head, I'll get shit around Parkhead for having an English accent' but everyone was really nice.

Mirrors almost exactly my experience, except I’m English with no other background and mine was in the pubs in Glasgow. I thought I’d be fine with Rangers fans and hated by Celtic, but it was wrong on both counts. It’s why the ignorant ‘bigot brothers’ jibes wind me up. It’s like saying the blacks and whites in the Deep South USA are all as bad as each other, especially when taking into account the history of Irish persecution in Scotland..

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2697 on: September 13, 2021, 11:24:10 PM »
I reckon this thread is going to end up in an argument soon.

It's the law, any discussion touching on Rangers - Celtic always does.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #2698 on: September 13, 2021, 11:29:22 PM »
No it’s not, I tell you.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #2699 on: September 13, 2021, 11:37:00 PM »
It's not about Celtic or Rangers, it's about sectarianism in Scotland

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal