collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 01:04:38 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653756 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #1800 on: February 23, 2020, 08:56:36 PM »
We need McGinn, Luiz and Nakamba in the middle. Grealish off the striker. Fuck the wide shite like AEG and Trez off. They're not up for it.

This for me as well.  The 2 wing backs need to cover the entire width.

I also think you should play to your strengths.  For me, this is to start Jack in his best position and build the team around it.  Invairiably this would mean him cutting in from the left but it also frees him to get involved if we're coming down the right.

On Saturdsy, I looked at our right hand side and wondered why Southampton bothered defending when we got the ball ther - It was noticeably less serious than when we attacked down the left with Jack.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #1801 on: February 23, 2020, 09:49:23 PM »
We need McGinn, Luiz and Nakamba in the middle. Grealish off the striker. Fuck the wide shite like AEG and Trez off. They're not up for it.

If I could bring in two players from days gone by to beef up our team it would be Milner and Young. Wide players who could provide a decent service but who worked like trojans when out of possession. A big contrast to our current wide men.

Interestingly on the interminable bus journey after the game we were chatting to a lovely Southampton fan and his son. They were amazed at how shit we were, but thought Samatta “showed promise” and Trezeguet was the only one who looked dangerous in the 2nd half. They reckoned he was robbed on one occasion when going past the left sided defender (Stevens?) he was clearly pulled back for what should have been a yellow and the ref waved play on.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1802 on: February 23, 2020, 11:00:58 PM »
His form was a worry before he got injured and I put that down to the fact he was playing a more defensive role when he is more valuable further forward, thought Smith was to blame for that.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #1803 on: February 23, 2020, 11:10:33 PM »
His form was a worry before he got injured and I put that down to the fact he was playing a more defensive role when he is more valuable further forward, thought Smith was to blame for that.

Was carrying an injury as well

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #1804 on: February 23, 2020, 11:19:14 PM »
He’s not going to make one jot of difference to our absurdly shit defensive record. But he will give us a better chance of outscoring teams. Him and jack getting up the pitch with Samatta should cause some damage.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #1805 on: February 24, 2020, 08:49:23 AM »
He’s not going to make one jot of difference to our absurdly shit defensive record. But he will give us a better chance of outscoring teams. Him and jack getting up the pitch with Samatta should cause some damage.

He will if we revert back to four at the back. Im sorry but this five at the back has been a utter failure. Why smith still persists with this garbage formation he will relegate us.

We look even worse. My opinion is lets go back to when enegls and mings were at cb with targett and guilbert at rb.

Nakamba luiz and mcginn in cm with jack behind the striker.

Dump bloody trez and aeg both utter shit and should be sold in the summer. Between them and jota what terrible business them three hav ebeen

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #1806 on: February 24, 2020, 08:58:11 AM »

He will if we revert back to four at the back. Im sorry but this five at the back has been a utter failure. Why smith still persists with this garbage formation he will relegate us.

We look even worse. My opinion is lets go back to when enegls and mings were at cb with targett and guilbert at rb.

Dump bloody trez and aeg both utter shit and should be sold in the summer. Between them and jota what terrible business them three hav ebeen

Who's your other player in this system mate ?

Offline Taylor

« Reply #1807 on: February 24, 2020, 09:12:50 AM »
I noticed that Gomez came on for Everton yesterday. Didn’t he get a similar (or even worse) injury than SJM? Sky said that he got injured in mid November. By my reckoning Mcginn should be back a month later.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #1808 on: February 24, 2020, 09:24:31 AM »
My guess is that SJM might make the bench at Leicester then be ready to start vs Chelsea.

It was pretty incredible last season how Jack hit the ground running after a long lay off, with no requirement for him to be ‘eased in’. We pretty much need John to do the same.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #1809 on: February 24, 2020, 09:54:37 AM »

Who's your other player in this system mate ?

Id maybe consider hourihane or lansbury. Both have given much less game time than trez and AEG.  Both tend to perform better as subs.

If davis was fight id start him onbthe shoulder. I mean other ootion is play 4-4-2. If baston is cup tied give vassilev a go. He looked very good on his fww appearances he made.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1810 on: February 24, 2020, 09:59:59 AM »

And no width whatsoever?  Interesting idea.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #1811 on: February 24, 2020, 10:21:50 AM »

So basicalky same tactics when aeg and trez are there

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1812 on: February 24, 2020, 10:36:12 AM »

That's hardly a defence of an unworkable formation.  At least with 3 at the back there's more chance for the fullbacks to get forward and provide some width.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #1813 on: February 24, 2020, 11:09:21 AM »

That's hardly a defence of an unworkable formation.  At least with 3 at the back there's more chance for the fullbacks to get forward and provide some width.

Width is over rated.   Conor can drift in and out on the left as well. Targett and guikbert like to get forward so you have width.

Our width is absolutely non existent anyway

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1814 on: February 24, 2020, 11:23:30 AM »
Its interesting that in a post about McGinn you talk about us having no width, yet 2 of his 3 goals this season have come directly from width.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal