collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 666121 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #1410 on: September 30, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »
We can't help ourselves can we?  As soon as any of our players start showing decent form they will be off in the next transfer window. I'm amazed that Grealish lasted at least 6 windows.

We don't have to sell anybody regardless of how much another club wants any of our players.

And we can't help ourselves adding a bit of drama to our posts either can we?

Nobody said he would be off - I said that if he continues in this form, it will be difficult to keep him.

It isn't a case of not needing to sell (we didn't need to sell Yorke, Young, Milner etc).  The issue is that if a top 4 club came knocking, the difficulty is standing in the players way, convincing him to stay for another year to see if we improve.  We got away with Jack because Spurs didn't put an acceptable offer in - Had one been received, the chances are that Jack would have gone.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1411 on: September 30, 2019, 11:03:22 AM »
We can't help ourselves can we?  As soon as any of our players start showing decent form they will be off in the next transfer window. I'm amazed that Grealish lasted at least 6 windows.

We don't have to sell anybody regardless of how much another club wants any of our players.

Nobody said he would be off - I said that if he continues in this form, it will be difficult to keep him.

It isn't a case of not needing to sell (we didn't need to sell Yorke, Young, Milner etc).  The issue is that if a top 4 club came knocking, the difficulty is standing in the players way, convincing him to stay for another year to see if we improve.  We got away with Jack because Spurs didn't put an acceptable offer in - Had one been received, the chances are that Jack would have gone.

Every player has a price.  Jack's was £35 Million.  We didn't get it so we didn't sell.  Now we're in a totally different position but it will still be difficult to keep the likes of McGinn  just because he plays great in every game? That doesn't make any sense at all.

And how come this only applies to us and not every club below Man City and Liverpool? 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1412 on: September 30, 2019, 11:14:11 AM »
I've no worries about McGinn leaving.  I can't see him fitting into a Liverpool or Man City team, and Spurs seem blessed with a few central midfielders.  Man U might fancy him, but seeing as they're struggling to reach the top 6, why would you bother.  We need to build the team around the spine of Mings, Grealish and McGinn, and make sure that as many of the other players as possible are on their level, especially up front.  McGinn's goals should be an added bonus, not our main hope of staying up.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1413 on: September 30, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »
I've no worries about McGinn leaving.  I can't see him fitting into a Liverpool or Man City team, and Spurs seem blessed with a few central midfielders.  Man U might fancy him, but seeing as they're struggling to reach the top 6, why would you bother.  We need to build the team around the spine of Mings, Grealish and McGinn, and make sure that as many of the other players as possible are on their level, especially up front.  McGinn's goals should be an added bonus, not our main hope of staying up.

I can't see him leaving either, but I'd contend that he would be brilliant in that Liverpool team.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1414 on: September 30, 2019, 12:08:06 PM »

Every player has a price.  Jack's was £35 Million.  We didn't get it so we didn't sell.  Now we're in a totally different position but it will still be difficult to keep the likes of McGinn  just because he plays great in every game? That doesn't make any sense at all.

And how come this only applies to us and not every club below Man City and Liverpool?

There you are being a drama queen again to add value to your argument.  I didn't say just because he plays well, it will be difficult to keep him.  I said if he carries on as he has in the past 7 games which is a damn sight better than just playing well.  With the same goals to game ratio, he'll finish with around 17 goals.  It makes perfect sense to me that better teams will be looking.

I didn't say it only applies to us either - That is just something else you added for value.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1415 on: September 30, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »
The improvement he's made in the past 12 months is quite remarkable.  He was a steal from Hibs once he became an established Championship player.  He's put 7 PL performances in on the bounce which have been to drawer with goals to boot.  If this carries on, it's going to be very hard to keep hold of him next summer, if not January.

Assuming (fingers crossed) we stay up, why will it be hard for us to keep hold of him?  We're not run by Doug or Randy any more.

It doesn't matter who you're run by - If a top 4 side come knocking, it's hard to keep a player.

Not under these owners, we turned down a 'top 4 club' when they came in for Grealish when we were a Championship team.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1416 on: September 30, 2019, 12:40:09 PM »
The improvement he's made in the past 12 months is quite remarkable.  He was a steal from Hibs once he became an established Championship player.  He's put 7 PL performances in on the bounce which have been to drawer with goals to boot.  If this carries on, it's going to be very hard to keep hold of him next summer, if not January.

Assuming (fingers crossed) we stay up, why will it be hard for us to keep hold of him?  We're not run by Doug or Randy any more.

It doesn't matter who you're run by - If a top 4 side come knocking, it's hard to keep a player.

Not under these owners, we turned down a 'top 4 club' when they came in for Grealish when we were a Championship team.

I think that was when they offered £3.50, some old Green Shield stamps and Onomah though.  When they realised how rich our new guys were they realised they couldn't afford him.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1417 on: September 30, 2019, 01:36:30 PM »

There you are being a drama queen again to add value to your argument.  I didn't say just because he plays well, it will be difficult to keep him.  I said if he carries on as he has in the past 7 games which is a damn sight better than just playing well.  With the same goals to game ratio, he'll finish with around 17 goals.  It makes perfect sense to me that better teams will be looking.

I didn't say it only applies to us either - That is just something else you added for value.

I'm the one saying he isn't going anywhere and your the one worrying about a possible hypothetical situation concerning one of our players and I'm the drama queen?  I'd leave it there if I were you.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1418 on: September 30, 2019, 01:42:34 PM »

Our owners don't need their money. Far richer than most of the Premier League owners! Interesting to see Fosun losing £1 billion through the collapse of Thomas Cook. Wolves might see a tightening of their spending power.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #1419 on: September 30, 2019, 01:48:24 PM »
My current favourite Villa player. The one player who has seamlessly fitted into the PL, having never played there before.

The only way he'd leave, any time soon, is if we got relegated.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1420 on: September 30, 2019, 03:56:33 PM »
What if someone rocked up with a pallet of full-sugar Irn Bru?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1421 on: September 30, 2019, 05:53:02 PM »

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #1422 on: September 30, 2019, 06:13:02 PM »
I don’t seem to remember the media linking any of Wolves best players last season with a potential move to a top 6 club, as the Guardian have done there.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #1423 on: September 30, 2019, 06:59:52 PM »
Tbf they were with Moutinho and Neves.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1424 on: October 01, 2019, 05:57:51 PM »
Our Franksy's stirring it on the radio at the moment about selling him.

Fcuk off!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal