collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654260 times)

Offline Fred Crump

Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #990 on: May 06, 2019, 10:52:51 PM »
🎵 Footy come back 🎵

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #991 on: May 06, 2019, 10:55:22 PM »
As Bryn from Gavin and Stacey would say , joking I am ...

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #992 on: May 11, 2019, 06:37:59 PM »
Worst game he’s had for us today I think. Hopefully out of his system now and he’ll be back to normal levels on Tuesday.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #993 on: May 17, 2019, 06:12:05 PM »
Rather classy effort from this Hibs fan (Fellow Fan on twitter) wishing John, and us, all the best for Wembley.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #994 on: May 18, 2019, 09:03:00 AM »
Rather classy effort from this Hibs fan (Fellow Fan on twitter) wishing John, and us, all the best for Wembley.

When I was on the phone to Sky recently I got talking to a Rangers fan who raved about SJM. It’s source of amusement for them that Celtic missed out by missing out on SJM because they wouldn’t pay another Ł500k to match our bid

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #995 on: May 18, 2019, 07:32:03 PM »
I've found a link to that link with Hibs wishing us all the best for the Final.

Class.

https://twitter.com/thetremontipick/status/1129747858738098182?s=21

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #996 on: May 18, 2019, 08:08:39 PM »
Worst game he’s had for us today I think. Hopefully out of his system now and he’ll be back to normal levels on Tuesday.

I thought he was better but still some way off his best

Hopefully Derby just won't be able to block him and grealish off in the way the baggies did

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #997 on: May 18, 2019, 08:29:31 PM »

Class.

I fucking love this!

Offline Eckybloke

• GM : 06.06.2019
« Reply #998 on: May 18, 2019, 08:59:18 PM »

Class.

I think this is my favourite tweet ever. ❤️
😂😂

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #999 on: May 25, 2019, 11:28:20 PM »
Torygraph

Aston Villa's season has been a disappointment even if we win play-off final, admits John McGinn

John Percy

25 May 2019 • 10:30pm

In a break with tradition, John McGinn and Jack Grealish missed their Thursday meal together this week, a ritual that has developed this year and cemented the relationship between the two players at the heart of Aston Villa's renaissance.

Grealish, the local hero, and McGinn, the Ł2.5million bargain, have made it a regular fixture since March, and on Monday they will attempt the final step towards returning the club to the Premier League in the play-off final that can change careers, and the lives of clubs.

Family came first for McGinn on Thursday, as he sat glued to the TV to watch his older brothers Stephen and Paul play for St. Mirren in their Scottish Premiership play-off first leg against Dundee United, but it is his bromance with Grealish that has so far defined Villa's resurgence.

“During the unbeaten spell [Villa won a club record ten games in a row] we always went for food on a Thursday,” McGinn said. “We’ve got similar interests and we’re similar ages. A lot of the lads have got kids and their Thursday nights are taken up. But we go out and get some food and it just started being a wee superstition and it’s carried on.

“Jack is one of the best players I’ve played with. He’s comfortably the best in the league. 

“He just glides with the ball, he’s comfortable with both feet and he gets kicked about all the time but I’ve got no doubt in my mind he will be an England player one day.

“Everyone gets the perception that he’s some sort of bad boy but he’s a hard worker and he’s been a great leader for us over the past months or ten weeks.”

The respect is mutual - in March when Villa's official Twitter account asked fans to sum up McGinn in one word, Grealish replied with 'Wonderful'.

Known as 'Ginny' around Villa's Bodymoor Heath training base, McGinn has also captured the imagination of supporters.

Signed from Hibernian by former manager Steve Bruce last August, he is a cult hero, a relentlessly energetic midfielder with a penchant for a spectacular goal – such as his stunning volley against Sheffield Wednesday in front of the Holte End. His goal against Wednesday at Hillsborough in April wasn’t too shabby, either.

Expect to hear multiple renditions of the “Walking with McGinn” chant at Wembley on Monday afternoon.

“I know I’m only 24 but when you’ve won things and been relegated you know what football is like,” he says. “If you get too high it comes back to bite you on the backside so I was always aware in spells before when I’ve done well in a season, eventually there was a wee dip. I feel this season I’ve managed to keep that consistency over long periods and I’m delighted with that.

“If you’ve not got the doubts to go and prove people wrong, that’s when you get into that comfort zone and stop progressing. You will always have people to prove wrong. I always have done and I always will. I use that to spur me on and stay hungry and that’s the big aim.”

By his own admission, McGinn’s first season in English football has proved a “rollercoaster”. He had the option of joining Celtic, then managed by Brendan Rodgers, but signed for Bruce who was then sacked two months later.

Inevitably there was some doubt over where he would fit into Dean Smith’s plans, but he was pulled aside weeks after his appointment and told: “I don’t think you realise how good you can be.”

McGinn has since emerged as a crucial weapon in Smith’s promotion mission, scoring six goals and contributing nine assists (and, ahem, 14 yellow cards). He was named as Villa’s Player's Player of the Year and Supporter's Player of the Year earlier this month and will be a big player for new Scotland manager Steve Clarke.

Yet when McGinn assesses the campaign with Villa, there is a clear sense of disappointment whatever the outcome of Monday’s final.

“The season has been a failure because with the size of this club, the target is to be in the top two. But we have given ourselves the chance through another avenue to achieve what we set out to do,” he says.

“We have managed to do it the hard way because were 13th or 14th at Christmas. The reason we are delighted to be in this final is because that is an achievement in itself. We rolled our sleeves up and went on an unbelievable run to get to the final.

“It doesn’t matter how we’ve done it. We are there.

“It is definitely the biggest game of my career. l have loved every minute of it so far and if we are a Premier League club at the end of it, it will top it off."

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #1000 on: May 26, 2019, 12:09:24 AM »
This guy has been so brilliant for us this season and I really think he can be a top 4 player, hopefully with Villa and Jack

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1001 on: May 26, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »
[quote

Inevitably there was some doubt over where he would fit into Dean Smith’s plans, but he was pulled aside weeks after his appointment and told: “I don’t think you realise how good you can be"

[/quote]
[/quote]
Great example of the positive approach Smith and his management team have bought to the club.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1002 on: May 26, 2019, 09:35:20 AM »
He's been superb this season but I hope he gets more involved in the game tomorrow than he was in the Semi Finals. That may have been because he didn't want to get booked though.

Offline Holte132

« Reply #1003 on: May 26, 2019, 09:36:45 AM »
'Expect to hear multiple renditions of the “Walking with McGinn” chant at Wembley on Monday afternoon.'

Have I missed something? What's this? I've only heard the 'achy. breaky heart' chant for McGinn.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1004 on: May 26, 2019, 09:41:57 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal