collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653925 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2018, 06:11:03 PM »
It was nice to have someone hit the ground running. Well played, son.

I saw the Deano likeness, but somewhat alarmingly later in the game, I caught a glimpse and my brain went, "shit, Westwood's back". It was the way he was standing, probably. He wasn't pointing or anything.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2018, 06:13:12 PM »
Sounds like a belter.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #197 on: August 11, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
Sounds like his set plays were great. Seems to be the midfielder I thought Hourihane was going to be.

Let’s see him score double figures in goals before we compare them. Hourihane has plenty of positives in his game the McGinn might not have. They are very different players.

Indeed, one of them isn't anonymous if he doesn't score.

My point remains though. Two entirely different types of player. We need to find someone to replace those goals as we can’t keep relying on defenders, defensive midfielders and own goals. I’m not saying at all I’d prefer Hourihane over McGinn. The opposite on the evidence of today. I’m just saying it’s great we have both but if McGinn plays more he has chip in too and as he did today create for others.

He had that absolute blast of a shot from about 30 yards in the first half, that had it been a few inches to the right would have flown past the keeper and into the net.  I think this lad will chip in with his fair share.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »
Reminded me a little of Houghton.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #199 on: August 11, 2018, 07:15:45 PM »
My new favourite player.

Online itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #200 on: August 11, 2018, 07:20:29 PM »
Reminded me of Steve McMahon a bit

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #201 on: August 11, 2018, 07:25:18 PM »
The only person he can possibly remind you of is Des Bremner!!! In my eyes anyway.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2018, 07:25:42 PM »
Great set pieces, plus a gorgeous cross for Kodjia (who completely muffed it) just before Wigan's second.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #203 on: August 11, 2018, 07:30:20 PM »
The only person he can possibly remind you of is Des Bremner!!! In my eyes anyway.

I remember in Holman's first few games people were saying he played like Des Bremner so important to keep calm as we've seen many players look amazing on their debut and then fade into obscurity.

Looking forward to watching McGinn though, he sounds like everything I expect Hourihane to be.

Offline achilles

« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2018, 07:30:42 PM »
Great set pieces, plus a gorgeous cross for Kodjia (who completely muffed it) just before Wigan's second.

He also put in a superb whipped low cross in the first half but surprise, surprise nobody was there (Hogan would love him).
This guy is going to be awesome, premier quality already, absolutely superb debut!
Hope Hibs have a sell on clause because he will eventually go for big money!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2018, 07:35:59 PM »

I remember in Holman's first few games people were saying he played like Des Bremner so important to keep calm as we've seen many players look amazing on their debut and then fade into obscurity.

Looking forward to watching McGinn though, he sounds like everything I expect Hourihane to be.

I don’t recall anybody saying that Holman was anything other than total garbage, which he was.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2018, 07:46:17 PM »

I don’t recall anybody saying that Holman was anything other than total garbage, which he was.

Holman was o.k first few games away to Newcastle and West Brom although that was more due to him running around like a maniac than any quality on the ball as we saw later!

One of best villa debuts I can remember was Baros, looked like a world class striker but he quickly declined.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2018, 07:47:39 PM »
Very promising, I felt like we were going to score every time he shaped up to cross it in.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2018, 07:55:32 PM »
Reminded me of Steve McMahon a bit

Steve McMahon was one of my favourite Villa players in his couple of years with us when I was a kid. A few years later I was engaged to a girl who's younger brother was a youngster at Swindon and met McMahon, who was Swindon manager at the time at an end of season awards presentation. He was a right miserable c**t.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2018, 08:12:41 PM »
I'm just excited our central midfield will be Xacki and McGinniesta

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal