collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 670758 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: John McGinn - signed (Captain 2022/23)
« Reply #4785 on: April 02, 2023, 12:36:36 AM »
I'll agree too, I was wrong.

A proper manager is now getting the best out of him.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #4786 on: April 02, 2023, 12:43:37 AM »
He admitted himself on Sky that his form was rubbish earlier in the season. Now he’s back to his best.
Did you notice Ollie’s body language when McGinn talked about Gerrard.
Very telling.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #4787 on: April 02, 2023, 12:54:09 AM »
He admitted himself on Sky that his form was rubbish earlier in the season. Now he’s back to his best.
Did you notice Ollie’s body language when McGinn talked about Gerrard.
Very telling.

Deffo innit.

Stroked his right gonad while rasing the left eyebrow. As Lady Gaga pointed out in her seminal song "Poker Face", this is a clear tell denoting a Full Flush, whatever that is.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #4788 on: April 02, 2023, 02:42:47 AM »
Beautiful strike and another great all round performance. He’s had a very fine week.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4789 on: April 02, 2023, 08:52:23 AM »
I said a while back when he was going though his slump that we'd get £20m for him if we sold him which got laughed at by some. We'd get more than that now. Cracking player who has never hid. Well done Meatball.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4790 on: April 03, 2023, 10:25:31 AM »
It was great to see the return of his terrible Mr Magoo, I'm coming for you, goal-celebration.

I also like that he actually shows some of his personality in his interviews, unlike most players. You can only media-train those with Gaelic blood, so much, after all. The bit in bold at the end, is telling:

“It’s been a long time coming,” he said.

“It’s obviously been bothering me a wee bit and it was in the back of my mind after I scored with Scotland after 19 minutes. I was thinking ‘ah, typical’.

“So, I just thought I’d keep my head down, the amount of times I’ve had shots blocked from the edge of the box trying to lace it.

“I’ve just given it the side-foot, got enough power and thankfully it’s gone in the back of the net, so I’m delighted.”

“It’s a tough place to come,” he said.

“Since I’ve been here (at Villa), we’ve not won here, but we’ve always played pretty well. So, we were due one.

“We probably didn’t play as well as we can in the first half, but we scored a great goal, and could have scored a couple of others.

We’re running hard, we’re working hard, we’re sticking together as a team. And even in those bad moments, you don’t really feel anyone is going to let you down. And that’s an amazing feeling.

“We’re on a brilliant run and you just never know what can happen.”

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #4791 on: April 03, 2023, 10:29:44 AM »
I turned the page on my Villa calingder on Satruday morning to find SJM the poster boy for April and hoped.

He was already having a great game so when he scored I ran down the living room and almost threw myself through the window.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #4792 on: April 03, 2023, 10:44:21 AM »
I said a while back when he was going though his slump that we'd get £20m for him if we sold him which got laughed at by some. We'd get more than that now. Cracking player who has never hid. Well done Meatball.

I mentioned this on the 2022 transfer thread.  Emery might yet decide McGinn is not in his long term plans but at least if he does we will be selling for near his ceiling price. If we’d signed someone else McGinn its likely he’d have stayed on the bench for the remainder of the season and we’d be selling for £20m max. 

That’s not me advocating selling him, just stressing another good thing about Emery. He’s sweating the existing assets rather than trying to buy a squad of players that suit his system (completely the opposite of Gerrard who suggested our players were too limited to understand his system).

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4793 on: April 03, 2023, 11:47:34 AM »
He was brilliant against Chelsea he's being playing really well since coming back from his injury.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4794 on: April 03, 2023, 11:56:38 AM »
He has never changed as a player since the day he joined. He just needs a good gaffer.

I don't think this is true. For one thing he's obviously a lot leaner and fitter now. Even my missus who doesn't follow football much said when she saw him on the telly "God, McGinn's lost weight."

Offline ez

« Reply #4795 on: April 03, 2023, 03:44:35 PM »
Beautiful strike and another great all round performance. He’s had a very fine week.

The set piece coach is claiming that move 😉

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #4796 on: April 03, 2023, 03:55:17 PM »
I am still eating humble pie - and loving every minute of it

Add to my stance on SJM the fact i clearly thought Mings and Watkins were also ready to be binned

Could I of been any more wrong?  Selling Ings and giving Watkins the responsibility for leading our line has made him explode back into the form of his life.

Mings i am sure appreciates that UE will not be asking to "look him in the eyes" or any other bollocks - just coaching and moulding him into one of the best defenders in the league - even better by making Mouthgate look the mug he is for sticking with Slabhead and co

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #4797 on: April 03, 2023, 08:36:36 PM »
I am still eating humble pie - and loving every minute of it

Add to my stance on SJM the fact i clearly thought Mings and Watkins were also ready to be binned

Could I of been any more wrong?  Selling Ings and giving Watkins the responsibility for leading our line has made him explode back into the form of his life.

Mings i am sure appreciates that UE will not be asking to "look him in the eyes" or any other bollocks - just coaching and moulding him into one of the best defenders in the league - even better by making Mouthgate look the mug he is for sticking with Slabhead and co
that's what happened,knobhead hypnotized Mings
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 10:25:10 PM by astonvilla82 »

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4798 on: April 03, 2023, 10:49:42 PM »
In one of his post-match interviews (I think the Pravda one) he described Watkins' goal as "Larssonesque" with a cheeky glint in his eye, knowing it would mean nothing to the interviewer. He was right.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #4799 on: April 04, 2023, 12:12:39 AM »
I reckon Footy knew Bruce Willis was a ghost straight away.

I did. But to be fair, my mate who recommended watching it told me there was a twist so I was on alert.

I definitely clocked but not straight away. Your mate sounds annoying :D... "Watch this film, I swear you won't believe who Keyser Soze is!!!"

He is annoying actually, but for reasons that are irrelevant on the football part of the site.

One of your Danny Dyer mates, Percy? 😉

I don’t find my Danny Dyer mates annoying unless they’ve got dodgy politics. This one is not a DD, but he has got dodgy politics.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal