collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653904 times)

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
Re: John McGinn - signed (Captain 2022/23)
« Reply #3855 on: September 22, 2022, 09:49:23 AM »
We're clearly using him wrongly

He's a midfielder being played as an attacking midfielder. We just don't play against teams that are as poor as Israel or the Faroe Islands. If you want to play him further forward for Villa, are you going to use him there instead of Coutinho or Buendia? Because that would be utterly insane.

He's not really being used as an attacking midfielder though, is he? Often his 'average position' is behind the fullbacks - it wasn't against Southampton though, admittedly. As I said in another thread, I think he could have a role to play, but on current form I wouldn't be starting him every week - because that would be utterly insane...

I would love to be able to pick different players depending on form and the opposition, and against some teams having McGinn charging around high up the pitch, both in and out of possession, would be a benefit. It could create space for Coutinho and Buendia. I would have three behind a front man, and pick any three of Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Ramsey, McGinn. Or even Doug or Sanson. Assess the opposition's weaknesses and pick a team to exploit them.

For example, if I was playing against Villa, I would love a player like McGinn. I'd get him to harry our back 5 or 6 every time they were on the ball, and then just wait for them to cough it up.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3856 on: September 22, 2022, 10:06:20 AM »

He's not really being used as an attacking midfielder though, is he? Often his 'average position' is behind the fullbacks

Name one game this season where that's been true.

He's rubbish. If we're going to buy players based on their form for Scotland, then let's go for Dykes. One goal all season for QPR in the Championship, but two last night for Scotland. 95% of international football is absolute pish.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #3857 on: September 22, 2022, 10:13:19 AM »
I don't think he is rubbish - but he's not top 6 material either.

I also think there is an element of fatigue based on the amount of games he has played in the last couple of years, on top of the problems of playing him out of position.

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
« Reply #3858 on: September 22, 2022, 10:15:52 AM »
It feels to me that the captaincy is weighing too heavily on him. No Dennis Mortimer he. Hand it back to Tyrone

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #3859 on: September 22, 2022, 10:22:04 AM »

He's not really being used as an attacking midfielder though, is he? Often his 'average position' is behind the fullbacks

He's rubbish. If we're going to buy players based on their form for Scotland, then let's go for Dykes. One goal all season for QPR in the Championship, but two last night for Scotland. 95% of international football is absolute pish.

Isn't it just. I reckon Villa would qualify for every tournament final stages and would have more chance of winning them than the PL at the moment.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #3860 on: September 22, 2022, 10:24:45 AM »
John McGinn has now had 20 goal involvements in 35 international matches under Steve Clarke for Scotland. The only negatives for him at Villa is the manager who plays a narrow system and too far back......Good players begin to look poor under this manager. It's a common theme....

Offline boozey182

« Reply #3861 on: September 22, 2022, 10:27:51 AM »

Fortunately for you, I am a huge fan of procrastination, so I could look into this for you. The website I was using only went back to the Bolton game, but in that time it looked like there two matches - Man City where he was behind Digne, and Arsenal where he was behind Cash and alongside (slightly ahead of) Digne. This wasn't the 'Gotcha!' that I was hoping for, but I don't think it really suggests he's being used as an attacking midfielder either. Of course, these two games were against much better opposition, so it's likely that he was naturally going to play further back.

As a retort to "He's rubbish", may I offer: "Maybe, but I think we could be using him in way that would help him and the team better. And if we don't do that, we should drop him".

Also, just to clarify, I am not advocating buying McGinn. I think that would be a chronic waste of resources. In fact, I'll go further and say that I don't think we should be buying any of our players, no matter how well they perform during the international break. Sorry if that upsets people.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3862 on: September 22, 2022, 10:29:36 AM »
I noticed on the beeb that our set piece coach/roadie for Yes was getting some love from the Scottish players for the work he does.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3863 on: September 22, 2022, 10:59:52 AM »
There’s lots of mention about his position but in one sense, off the ball, he played very well against Southampton, he was bombing around, being a nuisance and winning the ball in midfield. His distribution was woeful though, one of the worst I’ve seen him on the ball. He also slowed the game down as he was slow to think and to move it on.

So his contribution to the match was more suited to playing deep. Would he have the touch, control and speed of thought to play further up the pitch against better opponents?

Why not give it a try?

I’d say because there’s better players than him in that role who are quicker thinking and more mobile and less careless with the ball and with all his faults he’s actually quite good at being a workhorse.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3864 on: September 22, 2022, 11:10:04 AM »
To be truthful Ukraine are best a championship standard team similar to Wales or NOR.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3865 on: September 22, 2022, 12:44:38 PM »
There’s lots of mention about his position but in one sense, off the ball, he played very well against Southampton, he was bombing around, being a nuisance and winning the ball in midfield. His distribution was woeful though, one of the worst I’ve seen him on the ball. He also slowed the game down as he was slow to think and to move it on.

So his contribution to the match was more suited to playing deep. Would he have the touch, control and speed of thought to play further up the pitch against better opponents?

The reason he's better higher up the pitch is that he gives the ball away trying to force things and that creates 2 problems if he's deeper, firstly it means he's giving the ball away in bad areas of the pitch and secondly if he succeeds it doesn't really amonut to anything because he's created space 40-50 yards from goal instead of on the edge of the box.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3866 on: September 22, 2022, 01:14:24 PM »

The reason he's better higher up the pitch is that he gives the ball away trying to force things and that creates 2 problems if he's deeper, firstly it means he's giving the ball away in bad areas of the pitch and secondly if he succeeds it doesn't really amonut to anything because he's created space 40-50 yards from goal instead of on the edge of the box.

I agree, however it goes back to maybe he’s a good player, but not better than who plays further upfield than him and we need better where he plays. I love him, he’s been a very good player for us but he definitely does have his limitations at this level.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #3867 on: September 22, 2022, 01:18:36 PM »
John McGinn - a bull in a china shop.

Try playing controlled football in that environment.

Great bloke but we will never have a decent footballing team with him in it.

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #3868 on: September 22, 2022, 01:18:55 PM »
An antagonist.  A willing runner. Combative with an eye for goal. He should be competing for the forward places in a different system.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3869 on: September 22, 2022, 01:24:17 PM »
I think McGinn would work ok at 10 in a 4-2-3-1.  It would just give us that extra bite and energy which can be useful when you have such an attacking line up.  With that said, if it was down to me Buendia would be the first name on the teamsheet every week.

I disagree with you Baldy.  I think a few top 8 teams would like him in their squad.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal