collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 672793 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: John McGinn - signed (Captain 2022/23)
« Reply #3825 on: September 06, 2022, 04:26:09 PM »

Agree. I know a different level and f opposition but id just like to see the 2019 version that never ever stopped running. Anyway, needs to be dropped now, hopefully the big calls Getard made on Saturday are the start of him being braver in his team selections.

He's dropped Mings, dropped Coutinho and Buendia, now he needs to complete his "I'm the boss" Top Trumps by dropping the one player who really deserves it.

There's no pleasing you is there?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3826 on: September 06, 2022, 04:33:08 PM »

Agree. I know a different level and f opposition but id just like to see the 2019 version that never ever stopped running. Anyway, needs to be dropped now, hopefully the big calls Getard made on Saturday are the start of him being braver in his team selections.

He's dropped Mings, dropped Coutinho and Buendia, now he needs to complete his "I'm the boss" Top Trumps by dropping the one player who really deserves it.

It is fair comment, though, isn't it?

McGinn hasn't been the player he was for a long time, but SG has put himself in an awkward position by making him captain and then feeling like he had to say that doesn't make him undroppable, when, based on matches until that point, he'd looked entirely undroppable.

I hope Gerrard puts it all right, but it's hard not to look at what has gone on and reflect that he's brought a lot of unnecessary extra stress on himself.

The bizarre way he handled Mings was even more troubling than the constant McGinn selection.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3827 on: September 06, 2022, 04:37:58 PM »
Yes I suspect, hope, that his recent subbing of McGinn is a gradual move away from him being a guaranteed starter. As you say he must be aware he got the Mings stuff wrong, so hopefully he’s realised that and this a more measured approach to ushering McGinn out.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3828 on: September 06, 2022, 04:44:01 PM »
Yep.

There’s nothing wrong with McGinn if he’s playing well week in, week it, then of course put him in.

It is just that when he doesn’t even have the occasional good game but keeps his place anyway, then we have to organise the whole midfield around him being there (when midfield is the part of the pitch where we have most problems).

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #3829 on: September 06, 2022, 05:27:51 PM »
Damming stats’ the sort of which you’d expect from a youth player being introduced to first team action. You’d then be thinking that player isn’t quite ready. For a captain who has been poor for all opening games it’s proof he needs taking out of the team for now. Super John should not be considered as undroppable because he’s captain or because he’s been very good some time in the past. I can’t even remember his last good game. If he continues to play him and we don’t start winning games then it will be Gerrard who gets the chop. A decision has to be made by Gerrard, not a big one either, an obvious one.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #3830 on: September 06, 2022, 05:32:12 PM »
Yes I suspect, hope, that his recent subbing of McGinn is a gradual move away from him being a guaranteed starter. As you say he must be aware he got the Mings stuff wrong, so hopefully he’s realised that and this a more measured approach to ushering McGinn out.

Curious as to what people think he got wrong with Mings?  He might have picked the wrong person to succeed him as captain, but taking the captaincy away was done with the right intentions as far as I can see.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3831 on: September 06, 2022, 05:45:30 PM »
The test will be the next game. We played so much better with McGinn off the pitch and could have won the game at the end because we were better in possession, quicker and far less hesitant with the ball. Something he is huge contributor towards why we are so slow in transition and in attack. Gerrard needs top play one of Coutinho or Buendia in a midfield with JJ, Kamara, Luiz and Bailey. I would have Dendoncker for JJ if we played a better side. But we have to go at this lot from the off and McGinn starting won't help our cause.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3832 on: September 06, 2022, 05:50:11 PM »

I don't follow. I think he was right to drop Coutinho and Buendia as they've both been below par. I've been supportive of Gerrard so don't really know what you're talking about to be honest.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3833 on: September 06, 2022, 08:08:40 PM »

Curious as to what people think he got wrong with Mings?  He might have picked the wrong person to succeed him as captain, but taking the captaincy away was done with the right intentions as far as I can see.

It was taking the captaincy away and then dropping him. I don’t know if they were related, but the perception was they were and it basically created a story and noise when it wasn’t needed.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3834 on: September 06, 2022, 08:49:16 PM »
Think Clamps was being light-hearted.

Offline Aldridge Villa

« Reply #3835 on: September 06, 2022, 08:53:26 PM »
I’m backing McGinn to find some form but right now needs benching. With regards dropping the captain, not headline news as far as I’m concerned.  All part and parcel of the modern game.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3836 on: September 06, 2022, 09:43:40 PM »

Making his replacement vice captain without playing a game was ridiculous. Lage handled a similar situation with Coady a lot better and with respect. Gerrard seemed to create a situation with Mings to demonstrate his authority and unsurprisingly it blew up in his face. Now he is completely reliant on him as our only LCB option.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3837 on: September 06, 2022, 09:55:10 PM »
Celtic couldn't afford him but maybe it's best for all concerned. He'll get Champions League fitba and be close to his kin.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #3838 on: September 06, 2022, 11:04:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/Total_Villa/status/1566823477797130240?t=UjCAz7IvGB5BICQ_wIsekA&s=19

As I said after the game in response to someone somehow praising his performance, he was terrible.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3839 on: September 07, 2022, 03:01:31 AM »
https://twitter.com/Total_Villa/status/1566823477797130240?t=UjCAz7IvGB5BICQ_wIsekA&s=19

As I said after the game in response to someone somehow praising his performance, he was terrible.

He hasn't played well for...a long time. This season he hasn't played well at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal