collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by dcdavecollett
[Today at 02:12:29 AM]

Reserves and Academy 2023/24 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:46:40 AM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by eamonn
[Today at 12:45:22 AM]

Happy Rotterdam Day by purpletrousers
[Today at 12:15:29 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[May 28, 2024, 11:51:54 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by PeterWithesShin
[May 28, 2024, 11:48:00 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by edgysatsuma89
[May 28, 2024, 11:15:26 PM]

Tennis 2024 by Monty
[May 28, 2024, 10:51:23 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 683175 times)

Offline RamboandBruno

Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #3150 on: February 15, 2022, 08:45:57 PM »
Christ somebody make it stop.
Literally laughing hysterically 😂😂

I know when I'm under appreciated. If people don't want to take in some astute observations and potential happenings  I won't give such in depth views  next time as you two being immature trying trying ridicule ny work well Good day sirs!
Just because you think it's 'astute observations', it dosent mean it actually is. That said, McGinn does seem to be this weeks scapegoat when he wasn't really any worse than any of the others.
Footy, i wasnt laughing at you, I was laughing at Risso’s reaction.

On the subject of McGinn, I’ve got a huge sentimental soft spot for him and i think he’s also a very good player, who has some off days. Sunday was a really big off day. Id keep him in the team for Saturday and take Luiz out.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3151 on: February 15, 2022, 08:55:06 PM »
Well we can see what happens  and how my theories work out makes sense to me.
Is your keyboard broken or do you have finger numbaitis?

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #3152 on: February 15, 2022, 10:40:56 PM »
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:01:40 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3153 on: February 16, 2022, 12:29:46 AM »

I know when I'm under appreciated. If people don't want to take in some astute observations and potential happenings  I won't give such in depth views  next time as you two being immature trying trying ridicule ny work well Good day sirs!
Just because you think it's 'astute observations', it dosent mean it actually is. That said, McGinn does seem to be this weeks scapegoat when he wasn't really any worse than any of the others.

On the subject of McGinn, I’ve got a huge sentimental soft spot for him and i think he’s also a very good player, who has some off days. Sunday was a really big off day. Id keep him in the team for Saturday and take Luiz out.

What would it take for you to drop him? He's being shown-up by Ramsey, that's how an attacking modern midfielder plays.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #3154 on: February 16, 2022, 06:14:45 AM »

What would it take for you to drop him? He's being shown-up by Ramsey, that's how an attacking modern midfielder plays.

I think the issue is that you could quite conceivably drop him and Luiz and Watkins, but i just dont think we have the strength in depth to take those three out in one go. It might also seem a bit panicky from the management to take 3 relatively big hitters out of the team in one go. With that, if there was a choice between McGinn and Luiz to come out of the team on Saturday, i’d personally choose Luiz, as i think at least McGinn adds a bit of aggression even when playing badly.
He was really bad on Sunday ill admit and half invisible against Leeds, so he must be close to being benched for a bit.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3155 on: February 16, 2022, 09:14:10 AM »
If the centre mid goes missing then that puts stress on the centre backs and the other midfielders.
So you have to solve that problem first.
It is pivotal.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #3156 on: February 16, 2022, 12:30:24 PM »
In all honesty i think Wolves at Home was the last game where i felt he stood out with his performance.

He has been out of sorts for a long time and should of been dropped before now

Same for Luiz and lately Watkins

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3157 on: February 16, 2022, 12:57:59 PM »
It’s become very apparent that in this system Gerrard favours we can not afford to have any passengers or dips in form in midfield, especially with Doug, McGinn and Ramsey. Gerrard needs to more ruthless in either dragging them off quickly or starting with someone else.

I think it was the Everton match and Ramsey said he was giving a rollicking at half time and that helped make the difference to his game. It obviously didn’t work at the weekend with SJM or Luiz.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3158 on: February 16, 2022, 01:40:57 PM »
It’s become very apparent that in this system Gerrard favours we can not afford to have any passengers or dips in form in midfield, especially with Doug, McGinn and Ramsey. Gerrard needs to more ruthless in either dragging them off quickly or starting with someone else.

I think it was the Everton match and Ramsey said he was giving a rollicking at half time and that helped make the difference to his game. It obviously didn’t work at the weekend with SJM or Luiz.

Maybe it's the midfield setup that's the problem. Someone shared a link to one of those anorak analysis sites post Leeds which highlighted McGinn and Ramsey being dragged wide to cover the full backs leaving Luiz to be overran in the middle. In that scenario we should have been forcing Leeds down the flanks. Gerrard was routed tactically by Bielsa really that day. But nothing explains the capitulation against a dreadful Newcastle team last week. Bar a few exceptions we were rubbish v Everton too.

Ramsey is having an excellent season but I don't think he contributes all that much without the ball in terms of winning back possession nor general midfield play either. McGinn and Luiz haven't contributed anything in last two games. I thought Luiz was having a decent season before then. McGinn has been poor for ages.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 01:53:12 PM by brontebilly »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3159 on: February 16, 2022, 01:47:35 PM »
His weakness for giving the ball away is going to hold him back and us by consequence.

I'd don't by the system excuse. Ramsey looks like prime Gerrard at times going forwards playing in the same roll.

Defensively, he is not getting tight to his man and lunges in too readily. He was close to being sent off on Sunday and got lucky.

I really like McGinn and his personality, what he can bring to the side. But he's been dire for weeks now. A stint out the side will do him good.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3160 on: February 16, 2022, 04:42:30 PM »
I like the system it’s exciting in full flow, we just need to be more rigid with two naturally like minded players, a bit like how West Ham set up.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3161 on: February 16, 2022, 05:14:43 PM »
His weakness for giving the ball away is going to hold him back and us by consequence.

I'd don't by the system excuse. Ramsey looks like prime Gerrard at times going forwards playing in the same roll.

Defensively, he is not getting tight to his man and lunges in too readily. He was close to being sent off on Sunday and got lucky.

I really like McGinn and his personality, what he can bring to the side. But he's been dire for weeks now. A stint out the side will do him good.

It's McGinn who needs to put down the rolls.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #3162 on: February 17, 2022, 01:49:45 AM »
The main problem with McGinn is him playing alongside Luiz and vice versa. They play on top of each other all the damn time which leaves the midfield toothless. If anyone has got some spare time watch the Everton match back and just focus on them. You won't be impressed.

Another awful performance glossed over by the result. For £47m+ profit manure or plôp can have him. McGinn is 28 soon, so financially it's a good time to cash in.

I would then spend around half the McGinn dosh to buy Koopmeiners from Atalanta.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #3163 on: February 17, 2022, 08:29:53 AM »
McGinn is good enough. He’s just knackered. Gets picked every week without ever really being rested.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3164 on: February 17, 2022, 08:31:37 AM »
McGinn is good enough. He’s just knackered. Gets picked every week without ever really being rested.

They just had 3 weeks off.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal