collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 670914 times)

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2910 on: December 05, 2021, 01:53:17 PM »
I have to admit to not understanding financial (un)fair play at all.

But we're loaded, just like Man City and Chelsea and richer in owners net worth (but obviously not turnover) than Man U, who've been able to spunk as much money as they like over the years. Why can't we?

And if we're now apparently not allowed to blow the budget, why can't we just hire better lawyers than the league?

This might seem a bit entitled, but we are genuinely loaded. We have a great set up from youth through to first team. A really big fan base and a rich history. We should be blowing nearly every other club in the league out of the water.

I realise I'm being blinkered, but I want us to properly properly go for it. We should be shopping in Waitrose not Tesco.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 02:04:13 PM by markeeeebeeee2005 »

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #2911 on: December 05, 2021, 01:56:28 PM »
Mid-table at best? Why?
I probably should have said mid to upper mid, Ads. My point is that the system is self limiting. If we get a good enough collection of players to threaten to ‘break through’ into the very top group of clubs one of them will inevitably come knocking as they did with Grealish , and for all the talk of replacing top players with players of similar quality, we and other clubs hardly ever do e.g. Barry, Young mk1, Milner, Benteke, etc. Although they have bought or developed good players, I would argue that Leicester also haven’t replaced the likes of Kante, Maguire, Mahrez and Chilwell with the same level of quality.
Obviously we all (me included) like to dream that we may be the exception that proves the rule, but the harsh reality is that ‘it is what it is’ and we probably are what we are. Still a great club, but not one of the plastic Sky three or however many it is.
Sorry to be such a killjoy or Buzz Killington for any Family Guy aficionados out there  :)

However we do have ambitions to break that mold and I'm sure that's the vision the owners have sold Gerrard. Also remember, that "Sky Plastic 3" are by no means set in stone. Just ask Arsenal.
The owners and the management are the only ones that can change that narrative.  We will lose players the challenge is making sure we reinvest well - and ahead of time - for all the talk of planning for joe’s leaving the money we spent isn’t looking great at the moment.

As some said above all clubs lose players - The big difference with Liverpool etc is they have other players of similar quality.  We simply don’t - we have three very good players - SJM, Emi1 and Watkins - they have all been linked with moves to bigger clubs in Jan or next summer.  We shouldn’t lose any of those - and if we lose more than 1 then I think we’ll never get back into Europe.  Losing Joe set us back at least a year. 

Online astonvilla82

« Reply #2912 on: December 05, 2021, 02:21:54 PM »
Kris Boyd, Scotland answer to Danny Murphy

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2913 on: December 05, 2021, 02:25:00 PM »
I have to admit to not understanding financial (un)fair play at all.

But we're loaded, just like Man City and Chelsea and richer in owners net worth (but obviously not turnover) than Man U, who've been able to spunk as much money as they like over the years. Why can't we?

And if we're now apparently not allowed to blow the budget, why can't we just hire better lawyers than the league?

This might seem a bit entitled, but we are genuinely loaded. We have a great set up from youth through to first team. A really big fan base and a rich history. We should be blowing nearly every other club in the league out of the water.

I realise I'm being blinkered, but I want us to properly properly go for it. We should be shopping in Waitrose not Tesco.

You are not alone.  The question should be, 'can John McGinn hold down a place in the Villa midfield?'.  Not 'can Villa keep hold of John McGinn?'.  I don't think that is entitled at all, it's just a hope that we will progress from perennial also-rans to proper challengers. 

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2914 on: December 05, 2021, 02:49:53 PM »
FFP was introduced specifically to stop clubs like Villa getting minted owners and just buying success.

If we're going to comply, success takes time.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2915 on: December 05, 2021, 02:52:29 PM »
I wouldn't want him to go but every player has his price.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #2916 on: December 05, 2021, 02:56:51 PM »
FFP was introduced specifically to stop clubs like Villa getting minted owners and just buying success.

Is it currently suspended? If it is, then isn't this a good time to go hard.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2917 on: December 05, 2021, 03:29:37 PM »

Afraid not. There is a slight easing of the rules to allow for the effects of covid, but it doesn't allow us to go crazy.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #2918 on: December 05, 2021, 03:33:36 PM »

Afraid not. There is a slight easing of the rules to allow for the effects of covid, but it doesn't allow us to go crazy.
How do we know what we are / aren’t allowed?  How is it worked out?

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2919 on: December 05, 2021, 03:35:30 PM »
If they want him he will go. If we got £70m I'd consider that a fair deal.

Spurs sold a lot of good players on their rise to the 'top six'.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2920 on: December 05, 2021, 03:42:33 PM »
£65-70m is about his market value. Scores a few goals more it goes up.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2921 on: December 05, 2021, 03:54:55 PM »
Can't see SJM wanting to go to a half arsed club like Man Utd.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2922 on: December 05, 2021, 07:54:08 PM »
SJM’s dribble today was pure McGinn fifth.  Just bouncing off players and running straight into them.  I’m not convinced it was a foul too.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2923 on: December 05, 2021, 08:43:26 PM »
He was fucking awesome today, absolutely unplayable.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2924 on: December 05, 2021, 08:54:39 PM »
SJM’s dribble today was pure McGinn fifth.  Just bouncing off players and running straight into them.  I’m not convinced it was a foul too.

Not a chance , the guy dived ,  he could have gone all the way

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal