collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Christian Purslow - Resigned  (Read 226786 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: New CEO appointed - Christian Purslow
« Reply #870 on: November 25, 2021, 09:06:53 PM »
I'd like the game to be entirely rigged in our favour, at every possible level. As do you.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #871 on: November 25, 2021, 11:07:03 PM »
I'd like Purslow and co to look at the ticket buying arrangements we have in place.

Just chatting to my brother about getting to a match. I've had a season ticket most of the last 20 years but not this year. Thought I'd go on and see if i can get a couple of tickets for the Man City match. I can only buy one, despite there being several hundred unsold.

I assume my brother would have to get a membership himself to buy one or for me to buy him one, but really, is this more complicated than it needs to be?

I've no idea why I have put this in the Purslow thread. I guess he's ultimately in charge of this shit.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #872 on: November 25, 2021, 11:22:28 PM »
Same at other clubs really.

More surprised Burnley a week before xmas is being priced at generally 29 quid in most areas of the ground, would've thought that would be a Villa value game if they still do those.

If we get over 40k for that probably shows it's time to extend the ground (transport infrastructure pending of course).

Online charlatan

« Reply #873 on: November 26, 2021, 12:33:25 AM »
The additional 10% that would be added on to transfer fees would be a massive cost to clubs

And when Premier League clubs buy from the Championship they'll reduce fees accordingly.

Yes, looks much like stamp duty in a housing market with major supply constraints. Seller ends up paying the tax effectively (even though buyer pays it nominally) since buyers have a fixed amount of money to invest in the scarce housing.

Online charlatan

« Reply #874 on: November 26, 2021, 12:38:52 AM »
Meanwhile, extra funding for lower league (or non-league) teams would likely be spent on higher players' wages in the absence of salary caps.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #875 on: November 26, 2021, 06:25:04 AM »
Not sure where to post this but heard on the radio last night that the idea for a 25 minute half time break has been turned down by FIFA

You may have got a drink at half time, but on a freezing night in January it would not have been much fun standing around for 25 minutes waiting for the teams to re-appear!

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #876 on: November 26, 2021, 09:57:39 AM »
I suggested many years ago that our game is slowly following the American sports model

Analysis by pundits in studio and during game
Video refs
Constant talk of removing relegation
Super Sunday games
Monday night football
Half of the prem owned / co owned by American interests

Now looking at half time entertainment  - all very NFL

Gabby on Talk Shite said it was a terrible idea as players don't like the 15 mins they have now as they can start to sieze  / stiffen up (hence the little routines on remerging after HT)

I thought during the pandemic shit down that when they introduced drink breaks that was a move towards implementing quarters into the game

The more downtime the more advertising revenue they could generate

All very USA >:(

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #877 on: November 26, 2021, 10:07:38 AM »
Yeah, what happens when you sell your culture to people who don't understand your culture. When the ESL was launched there was a massive divide between the fans of the clubs involved. Their "new fans" round the world were all for it and didn't see anything wrong, while their "legacy" (spit) fans were violent opposed to it for the most part. It's not surprising that someone from an American culture thinks ownership means they can do what they like with the idea of Association Football. You see it when they buy the rights to films/books/music - they've paid for it, they can alter it anyway they see fit as far as they're concerned.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #878 on: November 26, 2021, 10:25:06 AM »
Films/Books/Music is not just an American thing, it's universal.

And once you buy those rights you can do what you want with them, that's the whole idea. Most novelists etc. understand this.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #879 on: November 26, 2021, 11:03:53 AM »
Films/Books/Music is not just an American thing, it's universal.

And once you buy those rights you can do what you want with them, that's the whole idea. Most novelists etc. understand this.

Not if its cultural. No-one "owns" the idea of Association football even if they think they do.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #880 on: November 26, 2021, 11:38:39 AM »
I have noticed a lot of old villa content removed from youtube this past year or so. It just occurred to me that there is meant to be a BT sport documentary on villa coming out next year so that may be the reason. Then again, the club probably would prefer to have us use Villa TV so they may be behind it also? I think it's a real pity if I am honest as youtube is available to everybody.

Offline dubont

« Reply #881 on: November 26, 2021, 12:03:59 PM »
I suggested many years ago that our game is slowly following the American sports model

Analysis by pundits in studio and during game
Video refs
Constant talk of removing relegation
Super Sunday games
Monday night football
Half of the prem owned / co owned by American interests

Now looking at half time entertainment  - all very NFL

Gabby on Talk Shite said it was a terrible idea as players don't like the 15 mins they have now as they can start to sieze  / stiffen up (hence the little routines on remerging after HT)

I thought during the pandemic shit down that when they introduced drink breaks that was a move towards implementing quarters into the game

The more downtime the more advertising revenue they could generate

All very USA >:(

NFL half-times are 12 minutes.

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #882 on: November 26, 2021, 12:18:07 PM »
I used to teacher around this topic. US sport is all about commercialization. Yes, the NFL have 12min HT, but they also have breaks between quarters, possession change, injuries etc.
Two other examples are T20 cricket and the remodeling of Rugby League.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #883 on: November 26, 2021, 12:20:33 PM »
Aye. T20 cricket. Horrendous shit. Why I don't do cricket anymore.

Offline garyellis

« Reply #884 on: November 26, 2021, 01:57:51 PM »
Purslow will be in the majority of PL reactions like it or lump it

More from Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish on the fan-led review by Tracey Crouch MP: "We are the envy of the world, make no mistake. We emerged from the Covid crisis, the English game, as the most healthy game in the world, without a doubt. Everybody looks on us and at this report, across Europe particularly, somewhat comedically, thinking we are about to create a huge act of self harm. Everybody in Europe moves to copy our and what makes us successful.

"The Championship is far and away the richest second league in world football. The concept of the lower leagues being starved of finances is not true. Could we look at distribution? Could we look at parachute payments? Are there elements of this report that have got some merit? Absolutely.

"But an Owners and Directors Test which looks at business acquittances and friends and sees if they've got integrity, I think would be very difficult to enforce. Tracey knows only full well that the Newcastle takeover, which has been highlighted for the Owners and Directors Test, would have gone through under any regulatory regime that would have been imposed.

"I fear for the government somewhat. All football fans tend to want different things. The fact of the matter was the Newcastle takeover was unstoppable; in any court, we'd have lost that action to try and stop it. I don't think it should have been stopped, (Saudi Arabia) is a country we do business with in a very open way, if they want to buy to buy a business asset in the UK they would be allowed to and I don't see how a football club is particularly different. The fans of that club welcome it because they get the investment. There are a lot of sledgehammers to crack nuts in this report."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal