collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Christian Purslow - Resigned  (Read 228796 times)

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
Re: New CEO appointed - Christian Purslow
« Reply #840 on: November 25, 2021, 10:11:16 AM »
Purslow on Talksport at some point before 1pm today.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #841 on: November 25, 2021, 10:12:12 AM »
He was interviewed on radio 4 this morning, being asked about the proposed independent regulator for English football. Based on nothing other than interviews with him that I’ve heard,  there’s something about him that I don’t like. Anyone who starts their reply to a question with “look…”

Look, it looks to me like you are looking for things that look dodgy.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #842 on: November 25, 2021, 10:20:39 AM »
He's slick, there's no doubt. But it's clear to me he knows his stuff. And I've no doubt that NSWE wouldn't have him on board unless he did.

It's his job to know the rules and to know how things should work for the benefit of the Villa.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #843 on: November 25, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
He's on talksport very soon

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #844 on: November 25, 2021, 10:24:00 AM »
It is no more than a linguistic tic that has taken root in those having a microphone put in front of them.  If you watch the horse racing on television just about every jockey when asked about his or her ride begins the reply with "look" or "listen".  Often several times in one sentence.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #845 on: November 25, 2021, 10:32:33 AM »
Aussie cricketers started the trend, I think.

Although it was also the stuff Purslow said after “look” that made me suspicious

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #846 on: November 25, 2021, 10:57:57 AM »
He was interviewed on radio 4 this morning, being asked about the proposed independent regulator for English football. Based on nothing other than interviews with him that I’ve heard,  there’s something about him that I don’t like. Anyone who starts their reply to a question with “look…”

If he wasn't our CEO he'd be a Tory cabinet minister.

The only trouble with this analogy is that he’d probably be vaguely competent at the role compared to the cavalcade of clowns currently occupying positions of power.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #847 on: November 25, 2021, 12:07:28 PM »
This isn't a great look for us, even if he is saying it the way it is. As reported in the Grauniad.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #848 on: November 25, 2021, 02:56:08 PM »
I can't say I agree with him but I don't see much difference in what he's saying to the justification used to give CEOs huge wages or to let bankers have annual bonuses that vastly exceed the lifetime earnings of half the population. It's clearly wrong but it's not a football problem, it's an economy one.

From that point why is football a special case? Should companies like capita and g4s have to pay an extra tax on the government contrcts they get to support smaller companies? Should mcdonalds and burger king give a share of their profits to people who run chip shops? There's plenty of examples of where the government doesn't give a fuck that big companies are driving small competitors out of business so why have they decided hat football is the place to draw the line? The simple fact is that they see it as an 'easy win' on regulation that shows the public that they're doing something.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #849 on: November 25, 2021, 03:07:08 PM »
The additional 10% that would be added on to transfer fees would be a massive cost to clubs

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #850 on: November 25, 2021, 03:10:21 PM »
The additional 10% that would be added on to transfer fees would be a massive cost to clubs

And when Premier League clubs buy from the Championship they'll reduce fees accordingly.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #851 on: November 25, 2021, 03:20:45 PM »
They've no issues with handing that over to 'intermediaries' as it stands, have they?

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #852 on: November 25, 2021, 03:35:45 PM »
Have no fear, I have every trust in our Secretary of State for Cultural affairs to intervene by telling a football that the Government will pull backing in future.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #853 on: November 25, 2021, 03:50:25 PM »
Like it or not, football is a special case. For a start, it's not a business in the conventional sense, there's a direct link between the biggest and the smallest clubs via the pyramid and without roots the healthiest plant will die. Purslow isn't looking good on this at all.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #854 on: November 25, 2021, 03:51:04 PM »
Have no fear, I have every trust in our Secretary of State for Cultural affairs to intervene by telling a football that the Government will pull backing in future.

As long as the football doesn't appear on ch4, I don't want tax payers paying for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal