collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Christian Purslow - Resigned  (Read 229110 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: New CEO appointed - Christian Purslow
« Reply #855 on: November 25, 2021, 04:04:35 PM »
Like it or not, football is a special case. For a start, it's not a business in the conventional sense, there's a direct link between the biggest and the smallest clubs via the pyramid and without roots the healthiest plant will die. Purslow isn't looking good on this at all.

Exactly Dave. Ordinary businesses do not generally require around 20 other almost identical businesses to exist to have a product to sell.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #856 on: November 25, 2021, 04:10:39 PM »
Tricky one. Should badly run lower league clubs get cash grants just because they’ve overspent? A club like Norwich never seems to overstretch itself, whereas clubs like Derby have, massively. I’d have no problem with money from the Premier League going to grass roots infrastructure, but not if it was just say, player salaries at a League 1 club.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #857 on: November 25, 2021, 04:15:32 PM »
And haven’t we helped out smethwick and blues enough over the years?!

Offline villa for life

« Reply #858 on: November 25, 2021, 04:18:05 PM »
Speaks so well. Obviously very global. We are lucky to have him.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #859 on: November 25, 2021, 04:18:42 PM »
A lot of what he is saying here smacks me of being all too reminiscent of the justifications of the Scum 6 for wanting a Super League - the big clubs generate the revenue, so why should we share it?  He might be a clever man, but saying things like this won't exactly do anything for our arguments the next time Liverpool, Man Utd etc. want a bigger slice of the pie.

Offline go on the dog

« Reply #860 on: November 25, 2021, 04:25:07 PM »
Every team is only one poor season away from the EFL, everyone thought our trip their would be only for a year, it wasn't.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #861 on: November 25, 2021, 04:41:47 PM »
At the very least there needs to be a more well thought out safety net than parachute payments to offset the current imbalance between the top division and the Championship. 

Getting relegated means you've had a shit season (or a couple, in our case). 

It shouldn't mean the very existence of the club is under threat. Realistically, outside of the top 6/7, the other clubs (including ourselves) face a very real threat of the drop.  That's 13 other clubs who could potentially be looking at a Derby scenario.

In the case of Derby - and a few other clubs who've over extended themselves in the hunt for promotion - I don't recall many of them playing Fantasy Football and spending ridiculous money to sign top players. Rooney as player (then manager) maybe, but 32 Red were supposedly financing that. And he's not on the sort of wages he was on at Yanited or in MLS. 

I can understand if it's a Leeds scenario, where the whole thing is built on sand with high interest loans. But if the owners have the capital, the clubs - and the fans - shouldn't be punished with Financial Unfair Play or any similar variation of.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #862 on: November 25, 2021, 05:31:14 PM »
Financial governance  needs to be transparent and regulated.
If resources is going to be pooled in some way.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #863 on: November 25, 2021, 06:12:16 PM »
He’s not the sort of person I naturally warm too and I haven’t, But that’s just a personal thing
Not that he will lose any sleep over that

He seems very professional in his spangly suit and glass smile
And I thought his statement after Grealish left was superb and just what was needed
I’d rather him than that all bald headed clown we had before

But for me the pyramid system in football is its greatest asset and needs to be protected
I’m not sure he sees it the same way

Offline Risso

« Reply #864 on: November 25, 2021, 06:42:13 PM »
At the very least there needs to be a more well thought out safety net than parachute payments to offset the current imbalance between the top division and the Championship. 

It shouldn't mean the very existence of the club is under threat. Realistically, outside of the top 6/7, the other clubs (including ourselves) face a very real threat of the drop.  That's 13 other clubs who could potentially be looking at a Derby scenario.

In the case of Derby - and a few other clubs who've over extended themselves in the hunt for promotion - I don't recall many of them playing Fantasy Football and spending ridiculous money to sign top players. Rooney as player (then manager) maybe, but 32 Red were supposedly financing that. And he's not on the sort of wages he was on at Yanited or in MLS. 

I can understand if it's a Leeds scenario, where the whole thing is built on sand with high interest loans. But if the owners have the capital, the clubs - and the fans - shouldn't be punished with Financial Unfair Play or any similar variation of.

32 Red weren't financing the Rooney deal at all. And Derby owe the tax man £30m, so it suggests very strongly they've been living wildly beyond their means.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #865 on: November 25, 2021, 06:45:13 PM »

32 Red weren't financing the Rooney deal at all. And Derby owe the tax man £30m, so it suggests very strongly they've been living wildly beyond their means.

We were the same though weren’t we after the playoff final
Only difference being we were saved by a couple of billionaires

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #866 on: November 25, 2021, 06:48:34 PM »

Clubs like Derby are allowed to bet the farm on promotion by extending the credit on transfers and not paying HMRC.
The EFL are pretty useless at understanding Finance.

Offline Risso

« Reply #867 on: November 25, 2021, 06:48:38 PM »
I think we owed a good bit less than that. Not that it matters if you can't afford to pay it though. But anyway, if NSWE hadn't ridden to our rescue, should we have expected the rest of the Premier League to bail us out?

Offline LeonW

« Reply #868 on: November 25, 2021, 07:30:38 PM »
There needs to be an independent regulator in football for all clubs. Right now, you’ve got the Premier League and EFL regulating themselves and agreeing deals between each other with one of them holding all the power. The EFL do not have the resources to manager the number of clubs they are required to. This is where you get situations that have been allowed to develop at clubs like Oldham, Derby, Bury, etc. Intervention comes too late. The EFL obviously gives itself a clean bill of health when self-reviewing.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #869 on: November 25, 2021, 09:01:41 PM »
Like it or not, football is a special case. For a start, it's not a business in the conventional sense, there's a direct link between the biggest and the smallest clubs via the pyramid and without roots the healthiest plant will die. Purslow isn't looking good on this at all.
100%. You don't have to look too deep - Neil Baldwin of Stoke City (which the BBC's film "Marvellous" was about) or Woody (Ollie Watkins' mate) at Brentford to see that there's a bit more to it than "just another business".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal