collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by eamonn
[Today at 01:21:26 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by frank black
[Today at 01:19:41 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by eamonn
[Today at 01:18:48 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 01:17:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 01:17:12 PM]

Re: FFP by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:15:24 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 01:04:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 220274 times)

Offline lovejoy

Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #1320 on: July 13, 2020, 12:25:20 PM »
This was originally brought in to stop the English teams dominating the European cup, which we no longer do. Shortly after PSG got a sugar daddy so they whole dynamic changed. What you want to avoid is someone putting money in they pulling out making clubs go bust which you can manage by requiring them to gift the money rather than loaning it, or setting funds aside against future wage payments.

But as it stands FFP is defunct.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1321 on: July 13, 2020, 12:26:50 PM »
The liquidity measures in League 1 and League 2 seem a bit more sensible, where they effectively can only spend a proportion of their turnover on wages.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1322 on: July 13, 2020, 12:34:47 PM »
The liquidity measures in League 1 and League 2 seem a bit more sensible, where they effectively can only spend a proportion of their turnover on wages.

It depends what the objective is.

If it's to maintain the status quo, sure.

If it's to enhance competition then a cost cap of some description is much more effective.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1323 on: July 13, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »

It depends what the objective is.

If it's to maintain the status quo, sure.

If it's to enhance competition then a cost cap of some description is much more effective.

On the whole though, (but obviously not when you have the odd "big club" like Sunderland or Leeds down there for a couple of years), most of the clubs are much of a muchness in terms of size, and average crowd etc, so I think it probably doesn't make that much difference.  Certainly not as wide a differential between doing well in the Champions League etc.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1324 on: July 13, 2020, 01:38:20 PM »
FFP as it was is dead after the Man City ruling.

If the real aim is to stop clubs over-reaching then they need to replace it which allows owners to fund clubs but requires guarantees for those funds, some sort of escrow system would probably be the simplest way to handle it.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #1325 on: July 13, 2020, 02:10:57 PM »

If the real aim is to stop clubs over-reaching then they need to replace it which allows owners to fund clubs but requires guarantees for those funds, some sort of escrow system would probably be the simplest way to handle it.

Thats whereI'm at with this too.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1326 on: July 13, 2020, 02:25:41 PM »

Simple? Explain how that would work
Then how you could get agreement

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1327 on: July 13, 2020, 02:49:59 PM »

Simple? Explain how that would work
Then how you could get agreement

I never said simple, I said simplest. Something like you have a % of turnover that can be user for wages and anything over that has to be guaranteed in escrow by the owner for the length of the contract. It allows owners to put their own money in but stops them running away and leaving the club to suffer if it doesn't work. How you handle breeches, etc would need to be worked out but it removes the 'ladder pulling' aspect of the current solution without encouraging clubs to gamble with their future.

There's probably issues but I literally thought of it in 10minutes over lunch as I was reading the Man City story.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1328 on: July 13, 2020, 03:35:16 PM »
So a wage cap based on revenue and the owners have to put the equivelant of 1 years wages in escrow?
I still can not see how that can work, literally.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1329 on: July 13, 2020, 03:41:12 PM »
Shame this didn't happen yesterday before Leicester played.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1330 on: July 13, 2020, 03:50:57 PM »
I still think the basic idea of FFP is sound, stopping clubs spending money they don't have isn't a bad thing. But what about clubs/owners that do have the money, there has to be a way for them to invest the money. Whether it involves money going into escrow or what i'm not sure but stopping people spending their own money seems as bonkers as letting clubs spend money they didn't have.

I said similar at the beginning of the year, not allowing someone to spend their money on something they own remains a bonkers scenario.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1331 on: July 13, 2020, 03:53:23 PM »
The first the leagues can do is put in place a much more robust and effective "fit and proper person" model: too many clubs / fans get rolled over by wanky owners.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1332 on: July 13, 2020, 04:00:18 PM »
I still think the basic idea of FFP is sound, stopping clubs spending money they don't have isn't a bad thing. But what about clubs/owners that do have the money, there has to be a way for them to invest the money. Whether it involves money going into escrow or what i'm not sure but stopping people spending their own money seems as bonkers as letting clubs spend money they didn't have.

I said similar at the beginning of the year, not allowing someone to spend their money on something they own remains a bonkers scenario.

It's far from perfect but it is the best option I can see available that protects clubs without solidifying the top teams and encouraging dodgy workarounds.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1333 on: July 13, 2020, 06:06:25 PM »
At home though. They're alright at home. Away they're woeful.

Home and away makes little odds in these coviddays.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1334 on: July 15, 2020, 06:41:04 AM »
If Man Citeh have been exonerated why have they still been fined 10 million euros? FFP is a joke. Perhaps our owners can flex their financial muscle now?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal