collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 01:49:22 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by dave.woodhall
[April 17, 2024, 11:28:11 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 221699 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #1230 on: December 20, 2019, 12:14:25 AM »
Why are we the only club that seem to be haunted by the rules?

For example, how do Bournemouth, with a ground 25% smaller than the Holte End, yet a bigger wage bill, well exist outside anywhere but League 2 and your imagination?

Nobody gives a fuck about nonsense teams like Bournemouth, Fulham or Wolves. A club our size generates clicks.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #1231 on: December 23, 2019, 04:44:41 PM »
In reply to what someone posted here;

Corbyn has certainly exploded labour membership -the biggest party in Europe.

Some will choose, no doubt, to sneer at the election result -the fact remains that in the last six general elections, the two leaders with the largest Labour votes are Corbyn and, er, Corbyn!!

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1232 on: December 23, 2019, 04:57:10 PM »

Some will choose, no doubt, to sneer at the election result -the fact remains that in the last six general elections, the two leaders with the largest Labour votes are Corbyn and, er, Corbyn!!

Have you heard something re Dean's replacement Dave?!

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1233 on: December 23, 2019, 05:20:09 PM »

Yes, the most popular and least successful. He could cost us a fortune.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #1234 on: December 23, 2019, 06:51:33 PM »
Except for those votey-things.

And no, SE, I wasn't advocating JC for new Villa boss.

Imagine all those left-wing attacks, though!

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1235 on: January 12, 2020, 11:00:52 PM »
Do any of our legal eagles know whether Edens and Sawiris would have a restraint of trade case against the PL for this FFP nonsense? Surely the owner of a business has a legal right to invest as much as he/she/they want(s) in order to make it a success?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1236 on: January 12, 2020, 11:03:26 PM »
Do any of our legal eagles know whether Edens and Sawiris would have a restraint of trade case against the PL for this FFP nonsense? Surely the owner of a business has a legal right to invest as much as he/she/they want(s) in order to make it a success?

I've mentioned that point a few times.  I'm surprised that none of the rich clubs in Europe haven't take a case to the EU.  I can't think of another industry where such restraint would be permitted.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1237 on: January 12, 2020, 11:12:56 PM »

I've mentioned that point a few times.  I'm surprised that none of the rich clubs in Europe haven't take a case to the EU.  I can't think of another industry where such restraint would be permitted.

Sorry mister, hadn't seen it mentioned before. I can't see (as a wise gentleman with no knowledge of the law) how these restrictions wouldn't break a free trade regulation or two.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1238 on: January 12, 2020, 11:15:57 PM »

I think there have been a couple of cases thrown out, one Italian club.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1239 on: January 12, 2020, 11:16:32 PM »

Sorry mister, hadn't seen it mentioned before. I can't see (as a wise gentleman with no knowledge of the law) how these restrictions wouldn't break a free trade regulation or two.

Nothing to apologise for, just a way of saying I agree with you.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1240 on: January 12, 2020, 11:19:35 PM »

I may be way off beam, but aren't UEFA and FA FFP regs different? If so, couldn't we challenge on a UK-only basis? (Not necessarily a question specifically to you, CL). We have, after all, got are cuntry back.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1241 on: January 12, 2020, 11:41:05 PM »

I may be way off beam, but aren't UEFA and FA FFP regs different? If so, couldn't we challenge on a UK-only basis? (Not necessarily a question specifically to you, CL). We have, after all, got are cuntry back.
Interesting point SE and not one that has been widely discussed, the impact of Brexit on football. It’s the ECJ that has so far held up FFP, this could obviously change.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1242 on: January 12, 2020, 11:51:49 PM »
I still think the basic idea of FFP is sound, stopping clubs spending money they don't have isn't a bad thing. But what about clubs/owners that do have the money, there has to be a way for them to invest the money. Whether it involves money going into escrow or what i'm not sure but stopping people spending their own money seems as bonkers as letting clubs spend money they didn't have.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1243 on: January 13, 2020, 05:35:34 AM »
I still think the basic idea of FFP is sound, stopping clubs spending money they don't have isn't a bad thing. But what about clubs/owners that do have the money, there has to be a way for them to invest the money. Whether it involves money going into escrow or what i'm not sure but stopping people spending their own money seems as bonkers as letting clubs spend money they didn't have.
Agree, it’s the method they have chosen that is fucked up.
Using a trading ratio as opposed to a Balance Sheet / Cash flow  covenant is where it all goes wrong.
A bank for example is not concerned if a business is loss making as long as it has enough cash to sustain operations. It’s also reactive, a club could operate for 3 years until it breaches FFP and run out of cash and go out of business. FFP does not stop clubs over spending until it is too late.

Online KRS

« Reply #1244 on: January 13, 2020, 05:44:34 AM »
We had this discussion a couple of years ago and I’m pretty sure someone stated that FFP for PL
clubs only applied to those teams that qualify for European tournaments?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal