collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by LeeB
[Today at 11:26:15 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[Today at 11:25:33 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Lsvilla
[Today at 11:22:37 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:18 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:18:13 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by Nev
[Today at 11:16:38 AM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

Ollie Watkins by andyh
[Today at 10:53:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheff Wednesday 2-4 Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 28877 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Sheff Wednesday 2-4 Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »
Just back, rode our luck in the 15 mins before half time. We were second best for an hour. But we somehow ran out winners.

Pleased for Whelan, gets a lot of stick, much of it unjustified. 

Spent half time trying to reason with some bloke who was adamant that the end of our run of 7 wins coincided with Whelan' s return to the team. He couldn't grasp that he hadn't been on the pitch.

It's key we get Jack & Albert back in place of Hogan & that tart from spurs.
No way would I take Hogan out. His energy and enthusiasm in chasing the ball was exemplary.  Grealish for onomah and grabban on the left

No Albert?

I may be biased as I was first (and only?) poster to suggest Grabban’s signing, but he’s twice the centre-forward Hogan is. Hogan runs all day but hardly touches the ball outside the box.

Completely agree.  Grabban looks like a proper striker, and one who can also play wide if needs be.  When Jack and Albert are fit, I'd play:

Johnstone
Elmo Chester Terry Hutton
Jedinak/Whelan/Bjarnason [depending on whether physicality or a bit more athleticism is called for]
Hourihane Grealish
Snodgrass Grabban Adomah

I reckon that team would see us over the line into 2nd no danger.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2018, 09:37:15 AM »
Fucked it off just before half time when they took the lead again, and went up in the loft to try and sort the long standing issue out with my bathroom extractor, telling myself not to check again until after the final whistle.

Then, the dustbins and the wife were using all digital devices, so I checked via Final Score on the beeb. The Championship scores were coming out on the yellow tape bit, so I had a couple of seconds seeing Forest's 5-2 win at QPR and thinking "why can't we do that" before our score rolled on. It was a brilliant way to find out.

The extractor is still bollocksed, but I don't give a shit. Up the Villa.
My conclusion to your post is that you need a new extractor fan. UTV

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2018, 09:53:41 AM »
Superb result scoring 4 away from home without our 2 most creative players is some achievement. I'm one of Conor's biggest critics, but fair play to him, 9 goals from a midfielder is impressive.

Looking at the Wednesday fans website, the referee had a shocker. I wasn't at the match but certainly can't see how they can have any complaints about our goals, but to have only 1 foul awarded against is an amazing stat. I would be interested to hear from those who were there of their opinion of the ref.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »
Superb result scoring 4 away from home without our 2 most creative players is some achievement. I'm one of Conor's biggest critics, but fair play to him, 9 goals from a midfielder is impressive.

Looking at the Wednesday fans website, the referee had a shocker. I wasn't at the match but certainly can't see how they can have any complaints about our goals, but to have only 1 foul awarded against is an amazing stat. I would be interested to hear from those who were there of their opinion of the ref.
The ref was magnificent.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »
Just back, rode our luck in the 15 mins before half time. We were second best for an hour. But we somehow ran out winners.

Pleased for Whelan, gets a lot of stick, much of it unjustified. 

Spent half time trying to reason with some bloke who was adamant that the end of our run of 7 wins coincided with Whelan' s return to the team. He couldn't grasp that he hadn't been on the pitch.

It's key we get Jack & Albert back in place of Hogan & that tart from spurs.
No way would I take Hogan out. His energy and enthusiasm in chasing the ball was exemplary.  Grealish for onomah and grabban on the left

No Albert?

I may be biased as I was first (and only?) poster to suggest Grabban’s signing, but he’s twice the centre-forward Hogan is. Hogan runs all day but hardly touches the ball outside the box.

Completely agree.  Grabban looks like a proper striker, and one who can also play wide if needs be.  When Jack and Albert are fit, I'd play:

Johnstone
Elmo Chester Terry Hutton
Jedinak/Whelan/Bjarnason [depending on whether physicality or a bit more athleticism is called for]
Hourihane Grealish
Snodgrass Grabban Adomah

I reckon that team would see us over the line into 2nd no danger.

This would be my side. It would be tough on Hogan but Grabban does seem to offer us more

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2018, 10:06:11 AM »
Fucked it off just before half time when they took the lead again, and went up in the loft to try and sort the long standing issue out with my bathroom extractor, telling myself not to check again until after the final whistle.

Then, the dustbins and the wife were using all digital devices, so I checked via Final Score on the beeb. The Championship scores were coming out on the yellow tape bit, so I had a couple of seconds seeing Forest's 5-2 win at QPR and thinking "why can't we do that" before our score rolled on. It was a brilliant way to find out.

The extractor is still bollocksed, but I don't give a shit. Up the Villa.
My conclusion to your post is that you need a new extractor fan. UTV
I agree but I think, Lee, don't do anything about it till our next away match. So get back up in the loft on Tuesday evening 6th March.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2018, 10:07:44 AM »
I think Elmo/Snoddy is a much better combination on the right hand side than any other options.

Online Clampy

« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2018, 10:09:32 AM »
I think Elmo/Snoddy is a much better combination on the right hand side than any other options.

I agree. They played together at Hull I believe so they know each other very well. A good move by Bruce.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »
On the tram at the end of the game these Wendy fans were slagging the ref but why?  Their team were cheating and hacking throughout

Offline olaftab

« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »
These are the victories that’ll take us up!

I said that on the way back yesterday. Wins like that do give you the feeling we can do it.
Victories in any form will take us up but know what you mean :) Rescuing a point against Preston was good and masked the disappointment of not winning and today coming back twice away from home and winning it shows there is character in the side.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2018, 10:19:38 AM »
They’ve obviously got history with Snodgrass as he seemed to be the one getting pelters. I thought the ref was fine to be honest, Wednesday we’re just niggling the whole time, committing petty fouls. More fool them to be honest, for the first 60-70 mins they created much the better opportunities and always looked likely to score. Once Whelan equalised we looked stronger, fitter and they faded badly.

Online Clampy

« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »
I think what cost them the game was not converting that mad scramble in the second half. If that goes in which it should have, then it's 3-1 and probably game over.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2018, 10:22:05 AM »
On the tram at the end of the game these Wendy fans were slagging the ref but why?  Their team were cheating and hacking throughout

It doesn't come as any great surprise to me - since I've found them to be an arrogant, deluded bunch for as long as I can remember. I see one of the paranoid juveniles on their website has now sent an email to the FA about the Ref's performance yesterday! It's a toss-up who they're aggrieved with most tbf: the officials or Snoddy...  ::)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »
I remember them being a bunch of niggly, cheating bastards when we played there last year, so fuck them, what goes around and all that.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2018, 10:27:17 AM »
They're just a poor man's Leeds United.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal