collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PaulWinch again
[Today at 04:22:22 AM]

Champions League Contention by Rory
[Today at 03:07:22 AM]

Diego Carlos by VillaTim
[Today at 03:06:47 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by darren woolley
[Today at 02:45:39 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by darren woolley
[Today at 02:41:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by KevinGage
[Today at 01:57:17 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 01:29:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:22:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheff Wednesday 2-4 Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 28861 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Sheff Wednesday 2-4 Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2018, 11:24:20 PM »
We proper ground out that victory today, it was absolutely brilliant. These are the victories that’ll take us up!

Absolutely.

It was exactly the sort of smash and grab effort that successful sides do all the time.

How many times have we hosted Man United, for example, and played very well only to wind up with zero points?

Fuck all this "but they were unlucky not to be 12 up" nonsense. It counts for fuck all. We took the three points because we're one of the best sides in this league.

Fuck Sheffield Wednesday - they're a mostly likeable club but frankly their relevance to us ended at 4.45 this afternoon.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:26:10 PM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline Uknowthescore

« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2018, 11:32:53 PM »
Just seen a few clips on twitter of players after game  what a marvellous team spirit they all seem to have.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2018, 11:34:58 PM »
Saw the same thing. They really are a very close knit bunch. Nice shot of Terry at the end giving it large to the travelling fans.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2018, 11:48:09 PM »
I couldn't see us winning after an hour but we looked better once Onomah went off. He got a lot of stick from the fans today.

The decision to finally play an inswinging corner from the left led to the 3rd but our own defending from corners and set pieces is becoming a problem and Johnstone has recently looked less confident with them.
It could have finished about six or seven each, but on reflection it was an entertaining game and we finished much the stronger. 

Offline kippaxvilla2

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2018, 12:18:15 AM »
We proper ground out that victory today, it was absolutely brilliant. These are the victories that’ll take us up!

Absolutely.

It was exactly the sort of smash and grab effort that successful sides do all the time.

How many times have we hosted Man United, for example, and played very well only to wind up with zero points?

Fuck all this "but they were unlucky not to be 12 up" nonsense. It counts for fuck all. We took the three points because we're one of the best sides in this league.

Fuck Sheffield Wednesday - they're a mostly likeable club but frankly their relevance to us ended at 4.45 this afternoon.

Damn right!

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2018, 12:19:23 AM »
Only seen the highlights but from posts during the game I get the impression our once solid defence has become a little shaky what would be the reason for the drop off?

Online LukeJames

« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2018, 12:26:25 AM »
Ball retention I think, we keep it better when we have our better ball players out there (probably stating the obvious there), Were missing Grealish hugely in this aspect, we have tended to hoof it again over the past few games which is just not suited to Hogans game at all, meaning were losing the ball more quickly and putting more pressure on our defence, We only really have snodgrass at the minute who can carry the ball over any distance, the sooner we get Jack and Albert back the better from an attacking and defensive point of view the better.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2018, 12:38:22 AM »
There's only so much woulda, coulda, shoulda, the referre was bent! that you can talk about when you get 4 drilled past you on your own patch.

I remember Yorke diving for a free kick at Old Trafford which Beckham then sailed into the top corner from 25 yards. Football is about opportunity and who takes it with that moment of quality. Hourihane's lovely guided finish made the difference, the rest is just noise on the breeze.

So fuck off Wednesday, there's good chaps.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2018, 12:39:19 AM »
Extremely fucked off with players and Bruce pre match and expected a defeat. Once we went 1-0 down I’m downcast as autos is gone and the lottery of play offs. So hit Tesco’s with the wife.

Just about to leave and it’s 1-1, cue relief with the showing of some resilience.

Get to Tescos and its 2-1 to the owls. Fuck sake villa. Praying for equaliser. Checking bbc updates every turn and half way down each aisle.

Last aisle (bog roll), missus forgot cheese, I’ll wait here and check score.....2-2 Whelan!!!!

One of the reasons I was cheesed off was seeing him back in the xi. WTF do I know ?!!

Get in the car, roundabout and Hourihane makes it 3-2 - cue bedlam behind the wheel, euphoria, swearing, fist pumping.

Approach drive, pull in and penalty to villa. Singing, Dancing, jumping in the Remy household.

Great to be a Villa fan..as I wipe egg off my face, apology to Bruce and the boys.

I’d say in the context of our season that may prove to be one of the most important victories in our season or recent history.

I’m counting hours till I take my seat at VP for the hoops.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2018, 12:47:19 AM »
The very encouraging thing is we scored 4 times without Albert and Jack and without really providing any service to Hogan. He could have scored just before Grabban did but it wasn’t like we were very creative most of the game. But we found a way. And our midfield came through yet again.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2018, 01:20:12 AM »
Quality post Remy.

Hourihane's finish was an absolute beauty or a wonderful stroke of luck. I'm inclined to believe the former as he has form for those expertly guided shots. Love the way he almost celebrated it before hit the net, certainly before a mighty cheer came from the away end. His left foot is worth its weight in gold, one more and he's our first midfielder double figures since God knows who.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2018, 01:21:01 AM »
That MATCHFIXING thread is quite something. I’ve seen some headbangers on here over the years but it was three or four pages before the first ‘hang on a minute...’ post. I could just about get my head around it if they were suggesting that we’d lined some pockets but the general gist seemed to be that it’s an anti-Wednesday thing (that may go back to 1992, or even 1989). Let’s not stay in this division too long.

A further note: I thought I had the worst username in all of football message boards. The voice of reason there is called Vulva. Vulva!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2018, 01:39:29 AM »
Maybe it's someone with a great taste in sitcoms and a nod to David Walliams' character in Spaced.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal