collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: DirtyLeeds vs Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 18518 times)

Offline Villa75

Re: DirtyLeeds vs Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
A few words of caution regarding Grealish.

He often looks very good when coming on late, and fresh, against a tiring team. We've seen it before. Then, when fully fit and starting games, people are calling for him to show more and getting frustrated with his lack of influence on the game.

He might best be used as an 'impact sub'.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2017, 11:54:56 AM »
For what my opinion is worth (!): Thought we were only poor for about the last 15 minutes of the first half. The rest of the first half was not as bad as some made out. The second half was a lot better from the kick off, both teams looked a lot better with the ball in the opponents half. Bruce made the right call and we could have won the game, ref was not great and helped to slow the game down and encourage more fouling tactics. Fans were as good as ever. Whelan surprised me again with how he managed to influence defence and attack. I thought samba was pretty good overall-and having watched the Leeds goal a few times, Although Samba should have got goal side, I am convinced the real error was that the space in front of him was completely vacated by the rest of the defence and left a huge gap to run into.
All in all, this is an improvement on last year and getting closer to what we need, although we will have to keep improving to the end of the season.
I agree with this. Jack and Angela coming off the bench and looking really good has given me renewed confidence that we have the strength in depth that our rivals don't possess. Wolverhampton Madrid might not be so cocky if they pick up the kind of injury list that we are currently coping with.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2017, 12:27:50 PM »
Good noise in the away end, especially second half. Leeds the best home atmosphere I've seen two seasons running, noisy and passionate, it puts our home support to shame.

Always look forward to Quinton's reviews of the atmosphere and the opportunity to criticise those who attend the games at Villa Park.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2017, 12:54:17 PM »
I'm quiet when I go to Villa. I set there usually in a state of deep concentration. I sometimes talk to the people I am with as I enjoy their company. Watching Leeds fans last night, I felt thoroughly ashamed of my actions and will be much louder and enthusiastic next time I go to Villa Park.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2017, 12:57:13 PM »
Good noise in the away end, especially second half. Leeds the best home atmosphere I've seen two seasons running, noisy and passionate, it puts our home support to shame.

Always look forward to Quinton's reviews of the atmosphere and the opportunity to criticise those who attend the games at Villa Park.

He's been known to criticise the away support as well if they're not loud enough for him.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2017, 01:38:11 PM »
I think Q.V. should review his own contributions to supporting the team. To include songs started, songs joined in with plus general noise made. It should include length of time and approximate decibel level. After all it’s only fair when he appoints himself judge and jury on everyone else that we in turn get to return the compliment.  If he could video them for us it would act as an example for everyone to follow.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
I don't dislike him, but he isnt a great footballer, first division is his level.

There aren't too many in our squad that would be capable of stepping up imo, not that it matters this season

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2017, 01:51:08 PM »
I don't dislike him, but he isnt a great footballer, first division is his level.

Yes..........in Scotland!!!!

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
Can't believe people writing off Davis! Ffs he's only 19! He shouldn't be playing at the moment, but Bruce simply can't rest him - there's no one else! I think he'll be great in 2 years time.
Precisely.
He’s a rookie being asked to lead the line, pretty much on his own.

Sure, the goals aren’t coming, but bloody hell, let’s support a kid trying to do a mans job and making a fecking good show of it.

Totally agree, I personally think he will be a magnificent forward for us, for many years to come!!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 01:57:45 PM by eddiemunster »

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2017, 01:58:45 PM »
Think the turning point was just after the whistle at the end of the first half as the players were trudging off the field and the fans first all galvanised the team with their encouragement.  Of course Steve Bruce did his part in the changing room.  But it was really a collective effort.

Thought we gave everything second half yesterday. 

PS What a crap hole Elland Road has become.

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2017, 01:59:22 PM »
A few words of caution regarding Grealish.

He often looks very good when coming on late, and fresh, against a tiring team. We've seen it before. Then, when fully fit and starting games, people are calling for him to show more and getting frustrated with his lack of influence on the game.

He might best be used as an 'impact sub'.

Precisely, not a full game player by any means, at this or premiership level!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »
This isn’t to diminish the fact that we started very poorly but one thing that we should come to expect is that every team wants our scalp and will play above themselves to beat us. Now, we have to rise to that challenge every time and given our resources over an entire season we really should have enough to succeed vs most in this division but it’s definitely a real challenge for the club to week after week to be in that position. When key players get injured it will wear on the squad.

What is encouraging is we have found ways to not just fold and come back into games. That shows that there is belief within the players something that has been sorely lacking for many years. We still need help in January and we need some players back and healthy for the final push. But at least we are on the right track. It’s not going to be pretty under Bruce, mostly functional, even agricultural. But I still think by May we will get one of those top two spots.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »
Good result and good to see we're showing character after going 1-0 down away from home these days.

Proper old school game under the lights between two big clubs. Good noise in the away end, especially second half. Leeds the best home atmosphere I've seen two seasons running, noisy and passionate, it puts our home support to shame.

Despite the good result Cardiff won and we find ourselves 7 points off 2nd place. We need to find a win sooner or later in one of these tough away games.

I think we’ve played all the top teams away now (barring Sheff Utd). They’ve all still got to come to Villa Park which I’m sure they’re all looking forward to. It’s these games that’ll decide if we go up automatic or not (in my opinion).

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2017, 02:05:07 PM »
For all Leeds’ possession first half they created very little from what can remember. If that was us at Villa Park Bruce would be getting criticised for it.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2017, 02:58:59 PM »
For all Leeds’ possession first half they created very little from what can remember. If that was us at Villa Park Bruce would be getting criticised for it.

Ha! Chance would be a fine thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal