collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Villan82
[Today at 09:32:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:32:20 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:28:43 PM]

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:12:29 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 09:11:32 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:54:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555501 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2160 on: November 02, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »
Alongside Chester he's better than anything we currently have even allowing for his years and his lack of pace. His added experience and know how will definitely add something. I don't think we'll be too guilty of the defence being 'all over the place' in games next season.

Having said all that, I don't really want him here and would rather as others have suggested opted for a younger player with potential.  If you're Steve Bruce with only this season to get the job done you're not going to take that risk if you can bring in Terry.

I’m not one to blow my own trumpet but I’ll make an exception here.
What, you predicted that one of the best defenders in the Premier League for the last 10 years and captain of a multiple trophy winning team and former England Captain would do ok in the Championship?

Take a bow Nostradamus.

He had his age..implying he was past it, his lack of pace, here for easy money, we could have got better for the money and whatever thrown at him when he first signed to add to the general dislike of the person. I don't know what your stance was from the start.  Did you sit on the fence perhaps?

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #2161 on: November 02, 2017, 02:55:41 PM »
Can't compare them, Mellberg and Laursen were coming up against top class strikers each week, whereas the number 26 isn't.

Of course JT hasn’t faced any top class strikers throughout his career

Offline manic-road

« Reply #2162 on: November 02, 2017, 02:56:32 PM »
I thought his reffing of the game last night was exemplary. He played well in defence as well.

He seems to ref a lot of the games at the moment which I don't mind.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2163 on: November 02, 2017, 03:01:13 PM »
Can't compare them, Mellberg and Laursen were coming up against top class strikers each week, whereas the number 26 isn't.

Nobody has said otherwise. Someone suggested that he was our best defender since Paul McGrath. For that you have to take into account his Villa form only, and for that you have to take into account the standard of the opposition.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2164 on: November 02, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »

Nobody has said otherwise. Someone suggested that he was our best defender since Paul McGrath. For that you have to take into account his Villa form only, and for that you have to take into account the standard of the opposition.

I agree with you but without reading back it’s a fairly pointless argument. The pertinent issue is that he is as close to a perfect fit for our current circumstances as you are going to get.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2165 on: November 02, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »

'JT'.

Also, not what I said.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2166 on: November 02, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »
Please. GA.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2167 on: November 02, 2017, 03:52:24 PM »
Quote from: Chris Smith
it’s a fairly pointless argument

😂

Are you new here?

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #2168 on: November 02, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »

'JT'.

See also JPA, MON, SGT, HDE. It’s just using initials to save writing the whole name. Nothing more intriguing than that.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2169 on: November 02, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
Fair enough, Xavier Xylophone Villa.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2170 on: November 02, 2017, 04:25:03 PM »
It should be BJTCLL. (Brave etc...)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2171 on: November 02, 2017, 04:31:42 PM »
Bastard John Terry, Chelsea loving lepidopterist?

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #2172 on: November 02, 2017, 04:54:38 PM »
Don't like him. Still don't think CB was a position we needed to spunk 60k per week on based on the effectiveness of the pair last season.

But after a ropey start, he has improved. The concern is that at that age, if the legs do go, it will be a pretty rapid decline.

But on recent form, he can't be classed in the Lescott,  Richards or countless other big-name-on-a-downward-spiral category; that is, Shitehawks who have rinsed the club dry recent years. That was my fear when we signed him.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2173 on: November 02, 2017, 05:16:36 PM »
Don't like him. Still don't think CB was a position we needed to spunk 60k per week on based on the effectiveness of the pair last season.

But after a ropey start, he has improved. The concern is that at that age, if the legs do go, it will be a pretty rapid decline.

But on recent form, he can't be classed in the Lescott,  Richards or countless other big-name-on-a-downward-spiral category; that is, Shitehawks who have rinsed the club dry recent years. That was my fear when we signed him.

I am not sure longevity is a factor if he is only going to be with us for a season. Eight clean sheets since the start of September demonstrates exactly why we needed him.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2174 on: November 02, 2017, 05:18:06 PM »
Alongside Chester he's better than anything we currently have even allowing for his years and his lack of pace. His added experience and know how will definitely add something. I don't think we'll be too guilty of the defence being 'all over the place' in games next season.

Having said all that, I don't really want him here and would rather as others have suggested opted for a younger player with potential.  If you're Steve Bruce with only this season to get the job done you're not going to take that risk if you can bring in Terry.

I’m not one to blow my own trumpet but I’ll make an exception here.
What, you predicted that one of the best defenders in the Premier League for the last 10 years and captain of a multiple trophy winning team and former England Captain would do ok in the Championship?

Take a bow Nostradamus.

He had his age..implying he was past it, his lack of pace, here for easy money, we could have got better for the money and whatever thrown at him when he first signed to add to the general dislike of the person. I don't know what your stance was from the start.  Did you sit on the fence perhaps?
No I said I thought he’d be an excellent signing.  Can’t recall if I posted or not but suspect I did.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal