collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555587 times)

Offline supertom

Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2145 on: November 02, 2017, 09:51:32 AM »
My biggest worry about Terry was whether he'd have the desire after leaving Chelsea and dropping a tier. Whether he'd coast. Say what you will about the guy off the pitch (and occasionally on it) but what he's proved is, whether he's 28 and in the Champions League, or he's playing away days in Preston in the Championship at 52 (or however old he is now), he gives nothing less than 100%.
Sod it, I'm fickle, and if he carries this on there's the distinct possibility I may even (sicks in his mouth a little) refer to him as "JT."

I'm glad he's here. We've had big names come in at the back in recent years like Lescott and Richards. It's quite clear why they failed where JT (oh shit...) is succeeding. Attitude and desire. They treated us like an easy ride and a cash dispensing machine and little more.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2146 on: November 02, 2017, 11:55:25 AM »
I was glad we signed him at the time and even more so now we can see the positive impact he's having on the pitch.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2147 on: November 02, 2017, 01:06:22 PM »
I'm still in the 'hate the bloke and can't wait for him to bugger off at the end of the season' camp.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #2148 on: November 02, 2017, 01:10:19 PM »
I'm still in the 'hate the bloke and can't wait for him to b*gger off at the end of the season' camp.

Will you cheer when he lifts the FA Cup for us in May? That would be the ultimate dilemma.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #2149 on: November 02, 2017, 01:12:12 PM »
I'm still in the 'hate the bloke and can't wait for him to b*gger off at the end of the season' camp.

Will you cheer when he lifts the FA Cup for us in May? That would be the ultimate dilemma.

I thought more likely scores last minute winner in play-offs final.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2150 on: November 02, 2017, 01:14:40 PM »
Alongside Chester he's better than anything we currently have even allowing for his years and his lack of pace. His added experience and know how will definitely add something. I don't think we'll be too guilty of the defence being 'all over the place' in games next season.

Having said all that, I don't really want him here and would rather as others have suggested opted for a younger player with potential.  If you're Steve Bruce with only this season to get the job done you're not going to take that risk if you can bring in Terry.

I’m not one to blow my own trumpet but I’ll make an exception here.
What, you predicted that one of the best defenders in the Premier League for the last 10 years and captain of a multiple trophy winning team and former England Captain would do ok in the Championship?

Take a bow Nostradamus.

Offline exigo

« Reply #2151 on: November 02, 2017, 01:15:20 PM »

I thought more likely scores last minute winner in play-offs final.

More likely sits on the bench suspended, and still changes into his full kit for the trophy presentation.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2152 on: November 02, 2017, 01:46:17 PM »
I certainly do not look to him to be a role model off the pitch and never have.

Once settled after a dodgy start he has become clearly the best CH we have had since God. The class he shows in doing his job whilst looking like not breaking sweat is a joy to watch. I noticed more last night in the first half (as I was close to the pitch) how much he controls what others do also and he reads a through ball before the guy actually hits it - he really should win championship player of the year. I think Chester must love playing with him.

I criticise Bruce for many things, justifiably so in my mind, but the Terry signing could well be a stroke of genius

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #2153 on: November 02, 2017, 01:54:33 PM »

With my track record watching football on TV, I'll be fast asleep before half time.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #2154 on: November 02, 2017, 01:57:14 PM »
I thought his reffing of the game last night was exemplary. He played well in defence as well.

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #2155 on: November 02, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »
I certainly do not look to him to be a role model off the pitch and never have.

Once settled after a dodgy start he has become clearly the best CH we have had since God. The class he shows in doing his job whilst looking like not breaking sweat is a joy to watch. I noticed more last night in the first half (as I was close to the pitch) how much he controls what others do also and he reads a through ball before the guy actually hits it - he really should win championship player of the year. I think Chester must love playing with him.

I criticise Bruce for many things, justifiably so in my mind, but the Terry signing could well be a stroke of genius

Poor old Laursen and Mellberg.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #2156 on: November 02, 2017, 02:22:21 PM »
Better than both but not necessarily as popular.

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #2157 on: November 02, 2017, 02:27:45 PM »
Poor old Laursen and Mellberg.

I like Mellberg, but I doubt even his gran thinks he is the same class as Terry. Best centre back we have had in a long time.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #2158 on: November 02, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »
Can't compare them, Mellberg and Laursen were coming up against top class strikers each week, whereas the number 26 isn't.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2159 on: November 02, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »
Terry at his best was undoubtedly better than either at their peak. I wouldn't necessarily say the Second Division version we have now is better than the top-flight Mellberg or Laursen.

That's not to belittle Terry's performances at all. Since an awkward first month he's been, generally, excellent.

I still don't like him, though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal