collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 11:15:55 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:15:22 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ChicagoLion
[Today at 11:15:08 PM]

Diego Carlos by Risso
[Today at 11:15:08 PM]

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 11:13:26 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:10:50 PM]

Ollie Watkins by VillaTim
[Today at 11:09:30 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:00:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555619 times)

Online tomd2103

Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1470 on: July 06, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »
But why does it matter to you if he did or didn't watch an England game with Terry in it, especially as he isn't here to answer that as far as I know. It has zero impact on you, me or any of us whether he or anyone else that he is boycotting. Maybe his boycott is to do with giving the club money and it going towards Terry, but he'll be happy if we win, or happy to watch a game on TV. There's no set rules on what someone feels is right for them. Just respect they want to do their thing and carry on doing what is right for you regarding Villa.

I would just find it a bit hypocritical if he followed England when Terry played but then boycotts us, that is all.  As you say though, it has zero impact on anyone else and everyone is free to carry on as they please. 

Offline peter w

« Reply #1471 on: July 06, 2017, 05:46:00 PM »
Does it really matter? Why can't folks just say something like "that choice isn't for me and I disagree with it, but I respect your/their choice" instead of trying to pick holes in it? I really don't get why so many don't seem to want to do that.

It's something you do quite regularly, as do others, on lots of different issues across many different threads so not sure what your point is here. Its part and parcel of a discussion forum.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1472 on: July 06, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »
Does it really matter? Why can't folks just say something like "that choice isn't for me and I disagree with it, but I respect your/their choice" instead of trying to pick holes in it? I really don't get why so many don't seem to want to do that.

It's something you do quite regularly, as do others, on lots of different issues across many different threads so not sure what your point is here. Its part and parcel of a discussion forum.

Exactly.  If you don't like reading people commenting on stuff other people have said or done then a discussion forum's probably not the place for you.  And if we restricted comments on here to only things which have a direct impact on the poster it'd be a very quiet place.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1473 on: July 06, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »

I debate with people on here, I don't tell them they are wrong for what they choose to do with their lives or how they should support the Villa. And there's a difference between debating a point, and just criticising someone for their choice of going to games, or not.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:55:52 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1474 on: July 06, 2017, 05:59:24 PM »
People can withdraw their support for whatever reason they want. In the same way as people can turn up in full John Terry Chelsea kit and mask etc if they want to.

It doesn't mean boycotting the club stops them supporting Villa, it means they don't feel comfortable putting money into the club while Terry is employed by the club, or for any other reason they feel is appropriate for them. Seems weird to me that some folks just can't respect that things like that are right for some people.

Stu? ;)

Oh. My rather stupid Facebook deal. A man cannot welch out on a bet so I will go through with it. If he plays 30 games, and we get promoted, I will ditch my dignity for the last home game and wear a shirt with Terry and 26 on the back of it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1475 on: July 06, 2017, 06:01:36 PM »
Don't forget the Terry mask and inflatable blow up doll wearing a 'Bridge' shirt!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1476 on: July 06, 2017, 06:04:11 PM »
It would be like the photos of Damon doing fancy dress at a wedding when nobody else did. I can imagine now my poor little face as I was ridiculed. All bloody day.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1477 on: July 06, 2017, 06:06:01 PM »

I debate with people on here, I don't tell them they are wrong for what they choose to do with their lives or how they should support the Villa. And there's a difference between debating a point, and just criticising someone for their choice of going to games, or not.

but that's what you are doing. And more power to you. It's a discussion board after all.

Online The Charmer

« Reply #1478 on: July 06, 2017, 06:06:49 PM »
I like to think my club is not all about trophy hunting and silverware

Probably just as well.

I have to say that, in the midst of all the soul-searching and angst that this topic has generated, I love the one-liners like this one from Kieron.
Perfect throwaway riposte to the previous comment and made me chuckle.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1479 on: July 06, 2017, 06:10:02 PM »

but that's what you are doing. And more power to you. It's a discussion board after all.

I'm asking a few folks to show a bit more respect to other people's choices. I'm not saying they are wrong for disagreeing with those choices or anything.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1480 on: July 06, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »
Nearly at page 100 and he still hasn't signed, FFS! If only...

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1481 on: July 06, 2017, 07:09:58 PM »
I like to think my club is not all about trophy hunting and silverware

Probably just as well.

I have to say that, in the midst of all the soul-searching and angst that this topic has generated, I love the one-liners like this one from Kieron.
Perfect throwaway riposte to the previous comment and made me chuckle.

Got a chuckle out of me as well.

Aston Villa, no place for glory hunters.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1482 on: July 06, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »
I've said before that if it wasn't for my son I doubt I would go to any matches. He's asked if he can have a season ticket for Harrogate Town next season, whilst I always enjoy our days out at Villa Park if we do go next season I'll try to coincide it with Terry being injured or suspended, really don't like the thought of him in a Villa shirt.
Harrogate Town would be a good bet if they had a half-decent manager ....

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1483 on: July 06, 2017, 07:27:59 PM »
I've said before that if it wasn't for my son I doubt I would go to any matches. He's asked if he can have a season ticket for Harrogate Town next season, whilst I always enjoy our days out at Villa Park if we do go next season I'll try to coincide it with Terry being injured or suspended, really don't like the thought of him in a Villa shirt.

So would the Villa..

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1484 on: July 06, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »

So would the Villa..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal