collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by LeonW
[Today at 10:04:51 PM]

Diego Carlos by Steve67
[Today at 10:04:25 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:04:00 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:51:55 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555534 times)

Offline Lucky Eddie

Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1455 on: July 06, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »
Some people of a certain age are just looking for a reason 'never to step foot in the place again'.

Our owner, our Manager and now Terry - truth is you just don't love the Villa like you did when you were younger.

Football as you knew it has gone - never to return, adapt or get yourself an allotment, but stop looking for a scapegoat.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1456 on: July 06, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »
Following a sports team isn't like dating a girl you just met. You can't just walk away because you dislike something however much you think you can. You might threaten it. You might even avoid it for a bit but it is so ingrained in your life that it will suck you back in. And if Terry's arrival churns your stomach but he helps to win games, we get promoted and then leaves you'll forget he ever existed.

Of course you can walk away. Thousands already have.

Walking away, means precisely that. I don't mean not buying a ticket or a new shirt when it comes out. I mean stopping caring altogether. Never talking about Villa, never looking for the score, taking up another hobby. It's not that easy given that many people will have their social circles built around it.

You mean it would be difficult for you. It probably would be for me, too. Not everyone though. I've known plenty of people who have been regular attendees at Villa (or down the road) who lose all interest and couldn't tell you if or who their team are playing on a weekly basis.

You've stayed that "you can't just walk away". Lots of people do, all the time.

And they never look at Villa results again, or talk about the club with friends? Something that they might have done previously for 20 years. You have to have some resolve to completely detach yourself from something you were so passionate about.

I'd imagine the author will check results and discuss it with his friends, if it gets brought up, he just won't be a Villa fan, as he said.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1457 on: July 06, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »
Some people of a certain age are just looking for a reason 'never to step foot in the place again'.

Our owner, our Manager and now Terry - truth is you just don't love the Villa like you did when you were younger.

Football as you knew it has gone - never to return, adapt or get yourself an allotment, but stop looking for a scapegoat.

Or maybe they just don't like Terry. Or in the case of Blackpool, Oyston. Or Worcester, Lee Hughes. And so on.

Surprises me how so many people don't respect someone else's views and feel to rubbish them, even though that person's views have zero impact on anyone that is rubbishing them.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #1458 on: July 06, 2017, 03:45:24 PM »
I'd imagine the majority that are boycotting are doing so knowing it won't change anything, so it's not to achieve anything apart from doing what they feel is right for them.

Which is fair enough.  What he didn't say in the piece though was whether he boycotted or stopped watching England games when Terry was in the side. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1459 on: July 06, 2017, 03:51:05 PM »
Does it really matter? Why can't folks just say something like "that choice isn't for me and I disagree with it, but I respect your/their choice" instead of trying to pick holes in it? I really don't get why so many don't seem to want to do that.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1460 on: July 06, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »
I've said before that if it wasn't for my son I doubt I would go to any matches. He's asked if he can have a season ticket for Harrogate Town next season, whilst I always enjoy our days out at Villa Park if we do go next season I'll try to coincide it with Terry being injured or suspended, really don't like the thought of him in a Villa shirt.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1461 on: July 06, 2017, 04:12:55 PM »
Pick our FA Cup, I doubt he'll be playing in that.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #1462 on: July 06, 2017, 04:25:16 PM »
Are we not invited to the 3rd round this season ?

Online tomd2103

« Reply #1463 on: July 06, 2017, 04:29:36 PM »
Does it really matter? Why can't folks just say something like "that choice isn't for me and I disagree with it, but I respect your/their choice" instead of trying to pick holes in it? I really don't get why so many don't seem to want to do that.

I respect his choice, but it is a personal choice that he's put out there in the public domain, so it is only natural that people are going to 'pick holes in it' isn't it?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1464 on: July 06, 2017, 05:04:15 PM »
But why does it matter to you if he did or didn't watch an England game with Terry in it, especially as he isn't here to answer that as far as I know. It has zero impact on you, me or any of us whether he or anyone else that he is boycotting. Maybe his boycott is to do with giving the club money and it going towards Terry, but he'll be happy if we win, or happy to watch a game on TV. There's no set rules on what someone feels is right for them. Just respect they want to do their thing and carry on doing what is right for you regarding Villa.

Online Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #1465 on: July 06, 2017, 05:08:52 PM »
People can withdraw their support for whatever reason they want. In the same way as people can turn up in full John Terry Chelsea kit and mask etc if they want to.

It doesn't mean boycotting the club stops them supporting Villa, it means they don't feel comfortable putting money into the club while Terry is employed by the club, or for any other reason they feel is appropriate for them. Seems weird to me that some folks just can't respect that things like that are right for some people.

Stu? ;)

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1466 on: July 06, 2017, 05:10:26 PM »
None left sale, CD bought them all!

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1467 on: July 06, 2017, 05:19:18 PM »
I fully appreciate everyone has a view, and is entitled to boycott/support it as they wish - it's a free country.  However, I do hope that at some point between now and August we can get on with supporting Terry (for those that want to) but more importantly the team as a whole rather than keep going over old ground. It really is a massive season ahead.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #1468 on: July 06, 2017, 05:22:30 PM »
I fully appreciate everyone has a view, and is entitled to boycott/support it as they wish - it's a free country.  However, I do hope that at some point between now and August we can get on with supporting Terry (for those that want to) but more importantly the team as a whole rather than keep going over old ground. It really is a massive season ahead.

Well said Des

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1469 on: July 06, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »
I'd hope that anyone doing any kind of boycott still wants us to piss the league.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal