collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:31:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by danno
[Today at 02:29:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 02:29:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:28:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by papa lazarou
[Today at 02:25:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:23:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555047 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1410 on: July 06, 2017, 12:49:19 AM »
So you have an issue because he publicly stated he wasn't going, not because he isn't going?

I thought I was clear the first time, but happy to try again. He can do whatever he wants, as we all can. But I reacted because he put it in the public domain - so he fully deserves the roasting many are giving him.

Perhaps we should all start writing to the newspapers expressing every opinion we think matters about our Club.

Why does he deserve a roasting? He's not comfortable with this issue, and his reservations are legitimate and shared by many; why can't people respect that?

It's what I don't get, I made my views clear and yet haven't felt the need to criticise anyone whose views are different. Whether they say it on here or wherever.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #1411 on: July 06, 2017, 01:06:12 AM »
Is Steve Bloomfield on H&V ?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/05/aston-villa-fan-boycott-john-terry-racist-past

I don't get the chance to say this often enough but I was the match mascot for the Liverpool game he mentions. 10th September 1988. For a fee, Colinmac will pm you the back of the programme!

As you were.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #1412 on: July 06, 2017, 04:26:32 AM »
Fitting song choice ;)

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1413 on: July 06, 2017, 05:00:43 AM »
Didn't Cleverley sing that as well?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1414 on: July 06, 2017, 05:41:31 AM »
Is Steve Bloomfield on H&V ?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/05/aston-villa-fan-boycott-john-terry-racist-past

I don't get the chance to say this often enough but I was the match mascot for the Liverpool game he mentions. 10th September 1988. For a fee, Colinmac will pm you the back of the programme!

As you were.

Wasn't that the game when some previously unknown player called Andy Comyn suddenly appeared in a Villa shirt?

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #1415 on: July 06, 2017, 07:10:45 AM »
AVFC are no longer a serious football club having signed this arsehole. After over fifty years of supporting the Villa I now feel like giving up.
We've not been a serious football club for a while.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #1416 on: July 06, 2017, 07:12:32 AM »
Fitting song choice ;)

Fair play JT, great choice of song, seemed to really enjoy it.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #1417 on: July 06, 2017, 07:20:12 AM »
Sounds like all the boys are singing it with him, good sign already.

Hope he stays fit, leads by example and gets us back up this season.

Welcome JT

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1418 on: July 06, 2017, 08:03:24 AM »
I mentioned earlier that I thought he was passed it.  On reflection if I looked like that when I was 36 I wouldn't have felt too shabby about it.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1419 on: July 06, 2017, 08:24:01 AM »
AVFC are no longer a serious football club having signed this arsehole. After over fifty years of supporting the Villa I now feel like giving up.
We've not been a serious football club for a while.

Quite. It's as if completely giving up halfway through the season before last was perfectly normal behaviour for a football club, whereas signing a very high-profile and talented player that might help us get out of the shit league we find ourselves in because of that behaviour is somehow perverse.

As for the "I'm not supporting Villa any more" lot, they remind me of the "I'm leaving Twitter/H&V" dolts. Really, you can just go. You don't need to announce it and flounce off to the sound of trumpets in a puff of smoke. The truth is nobody will miss you, whatever your reasons are for bailing.

Paulie was right above. If you're comitted to upholding high moral standards across the board, football isn't your game.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #1420 on: July 06, 2017, 08:38:25 AM »

Perhaps we should all start writing to the newspapers expressing every opinion we think matters about our Club.

We used to. It was called the letters page in the Argus and it was like a slow motion version of this site but where arguments and exchanges were played out over weeks instead of minutes. I miss it.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1421 on: July 06, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
We all need role models and I have the utmost respect for those who believe there is more to supporting a club than the weekly scoreline.  And yes I have bought my ST and I will be at games all next season.  If Terry plays well and makes a difference I shall applaud him.  Sing his name?  You will have a long wait.

Offline FarEastVilla

• http://www.exquisiteborneo.com
« Reply #1422 on: July 06, 2017, 09:22:05 AM »
The entire business of football is wrapped up in hypocrisy.

Some people will opt not to support a team with John Terry in it, some people will put up with it, some people will give lip service to protesting it.

The vast majority of us will just carry on as normal, because that's how football works.

I hate paying for shirking fuckwits picking up 50k a week whilst nurses earn much less than that a year.

I can't stand the forelock tugging to credit card billionaires or wealthy products of a restrictive undemocratic state like China, and I don't like having anything to do with the bombastic bullshit machine which is the premier league.

I loathe the reduction of football from being about winning things to being about finishing top four because that's where the television money is.

I hate all that shit, but I put up with, and the reason i do is because the whole sport is awash with fucking hypocrisy, and I am just as bad as the next man.

Verry well said - we are are all one way or another part of the problem,  and the reason being because of our loyalty to our clubs - damned if you do damned if you dont. I like to think my club is not all about trophy hunting and silverware but also has a certain philosophy and class that makes me proud to support it and not just for the silverware.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1423 on: July 06, 2017, 09:34:34 AM »
Most athletes live their own bubble. Footballers very much so. While they hear things ultimately they get to a point of it being white noise around them. It has to be that way. They have to be thick skinned. Terry's job, and I can only assume he will be captain is now to galvanize the squad and lead us to promotion. Nothing else really matters and certainly not what fans may think of him as a person. If we play well, most supporters will ignore his past as a Chelsea player and simply show up and get behind the team. And those who stay away on principle will be replaced by those who essentially don't care.

Offline kieron

« Reply #1424 on: July 06, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »
I like to think my club is not all about trophy hunting and silverware

Probably just as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal