collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Des Little
[Today at 11:19:07 PM]

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 11:18:27 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Clampy
[Today at 11:17:56 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:15:22 PM]

Diego Carlos by Risso
[Today at 11:15:08 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:10:50 PM]

Ollie Watkins by VillaTim
[Today at 11:09:30 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:00:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555625 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1380 on: July 05, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »
Whilst eavesdropping on a conversation at my chippy in Manchester, I overheard two chaps talking about John Terry. One said that he had heard that Terry had signed for some club that play in claret and blue. The other said Burnley! Hopefully the signing of Terry will help raise our profile.

Our profile is fine. We can't be held responsible if the Mancs in your local chippy are a bit thick!

Paul Hawksby and Andy Jacobs will shortly be talking to the Villa fan who got the John Terry tattoo on Talksport.

Online shaw thing

« Reply #1381 on: July 05, 2017, 02:39:11 PM »
I think that's fair. Unfortunately, the writers overestimated the intelligence of a large proportion of their audience.

For all those that nodded knowingly at the racist terminology, having understood that it was an attempt at the mockery of such prejudice, there were probably at least as many people who laughed at Garnett's bigoted outbursts because they agreed with them.

Yep - a bit similar to the veneration of Michael Douglas' character in Wall Street
Some days I have empathy with Douglas in Falling Down

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #1383 on: July 05, 2017, 03:10:09 PM »
Is Steve Bloomfield on H&V ?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/05/aston-villa-fan-boycott-john-terry-racist-past

Sorry but that is utter drivel! Where was Steve when our young Jack was behaving like a twat, commiting offences that would have got him sacked in any real job. And what about the fact Villa, like most clubs back in the 60s and 70s, were institutionally rascist - was it ok then, just not now? Signing JT does not make Villa, Bruce, Wyness, Xia, or our fans rascist - but perhaps if he is on H&V, he can explain his boundaries for what is acceptable and what is not acceptable from any Villa employee to cause one to boycott the entire club?

Silly nonsense. 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1384 on: July 05, 2017, 03:13:10 PM »
I think that's fair. Unfortunately, the writers overestimated the intelligence of a large proportion of their audience.

For all those that nodded knowingly at the racist terminology, having understood that it was an attempt at the mockery of such prejudice, there were probably at least as many people who laughed at Garnett's bigoted outbursts because they agreed with them.

Yep - a bit similar to the veneration of Michael Douglas' character in Wall Street
Some days I have empathy with Douglas in Falling Down

Most days I have empathy with Douglas in Falling Down.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1385 on: July 05, 2017, 03:15:51 PM »
I'm chuffed we've signed Jennifer Tilly, we finally have a couple of big ones up front.

Only because we've moved on a page and nobody has mentioned how heavy we are up-front.

I like the caption that says 'Tilly All In'. Although it also says 34%. God knows whatg it looks like when she goes 100% all in.

Just like John I hope she keeps her mouth shut.

*won't make sense if you've never heard her voice. Which is niche.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1386 on: July 05, 2017, 03:20:17 PM »
Fair play to him. I wish I had the strength of my convictions, but I'll be going next season, as ever.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1387 on: July 05, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »
It is his decision to make.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #1388 on: July 05, 2017, 03:44:27 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/05/aston-villa-fan-boycott-john-terry-racist-past

Sorry but that is utter drivel! Where was Steve when our young Jack was behaving like a twat, commiting offences that would have got him sacked in any real job. And what about the fact Villa, like most clubs back in the 60s and 70s, were institutionally rascist - was it ok then, just not now? Signing JT does not make Villa, Bruce, Wyness, Xia, or our fans rascist - but perhaps if he is on H&V, he can explain his boundaries for what is acceptable and what is not acceptable from any Villa employee to cause one to boycott the entire club?

Silly nonsense. 

What offences would have got Jack sacked in any real job?  as far as I can tell nothing he's done would have caused me to be sacked from my job.  Whereas what John Terry did would have definitely got me the sack (a former colleague got the sack a few months back for it)  and the chances of me of getting another job would be extremely slim as the majority of companies wouldn't employ you with that on your record,  so people saying how long should he be paying for what he did my response to that is the same as what any of us would be. 

I don't like Terry in fact I despise him but my main reservation to this signing is that it's pointless we had a solid defence last season we didn't concede many goals but we didn't score many goals.  So even if this works we'll be going from a defence that didn't concede many goals to a defence that doesn't concede many goals but it'll be the same problem as last season where we don't score enough.  We need creativity in midfield so we can properly use the forwards we spent so much on.  But all we've done is not solve the problem we had last season but have spent a large amount of our budget.

Offline tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #1389 on: July 05, 2017, 04:03:31 PM »
Thought long and hard about this and I'm coming down on the more positive side. Let's look at the facts:
1. Massive bellend - who isn't in football these days? I don't actually know the guy personally so prepared to be wrong on that one and if not then fine, the Championship is not a "oooh love me" contest.
2. Was a very good player in his pomp.
3. His pomp has now passed so the only pertinent question here is does he make us a better team and will his presence in the squad help us get out of this bloody hell-hole of a division (versus anywhere else the cash could have been spent of course). Only time will tell but i'm prepared to be hopeful he's more of a Ronny Johnson that a Joleon Lescott.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #1390 on: July 05, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »

image ru

Although unclear on this photo- on the OS site you can clearly see that the water bottle is Jordan Lydens - add petty larceny to the list of misdemeanors by this ne'er do well.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #1391 on: July 05, 2017, 07:58:24 PM »

Silly nonsense. 

Totally agree with you. Reading through some of the comments on the article they say similar things. If the author felt so strongly about racism he would never have started going to matches in the 80s, like he says. Most footballers are overpaid arseholes but they're not going to stop me supporting Villa.

Online TonyD

« Reply #1392 on: July 05, 2017, 09:37:45 PM »
Welcome to AVFC  Mr Terry. 

Stay fit,  play as many games as possible,  and above all,  make the team/ fans believe again that we are going to win matches.    Every match!!!!! 

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #1393 on: July 05, 2017, 09:39:14 PM »
Whilst eavesdropping on a conversation at my chippy in Manchester, I overheard two chaps talking about John Terry. One said that he had heard that Terry had signed for some club that play in claret and blue. The other said Burnley! Hopefully the signing of Terry will help raise our profile.

Our profile is fine. We can't be held responsible if the Mancs in your local chippy are a bit thick!

Agreed.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1394 on: July 05, 2017, 10:02:01 PM »
He's not that bad a singer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal