collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549647 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #975 on: July 02, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »
I respect the fact you take the issue seriously. I also respect the fact you dont want people whitewashing over a very important issue. But I think you have let your commitment to that noble cause cloud your judgement. Honestly, take a look again. Some fellow fans have also looked at the same evidence you have and come to a different conclusion. That doesnt mean they are racists, they just think justice has been served by an actual court and are willing to move on. Like Terry's team mates incidentally.

As I wrote, I haven't seen anybody called a racist except John George Terry.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #976 on: July 02, 2017, 09:15:06 PM »
I have always stood up against racism and always will - We all have the option to make our own stand against things we oppose -albeit  political, religious, racial etc.
Call me self righteous etc but I shall not be driving 200 miles (round trip) to watch Terry playing in a Villa shirt at B6 or elsewhere.
I might be cutting off my nose to spite my face but I believe that apathy towards such things does not help society rid us of outmoded ideals such as homophobia, racism and intolerance.
Villa will survive without me and I will survive without Villa - I just thought we had more class than employing the likes of Terry et al.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #977 on: July 02, 2017, 09:25:05 PM »
I'm struggling to keep up, let me get it straight...

"Racist" = unacceptable slur.
"Fucking black c***" = perfectly acceptable, sign him up?

No. Not at all.

"Racist apologist" = unacceptable slur for fellow fans who disagree with you and do not believe he is a racist or happen to believe he has changed and justice was served.

It really is wrong and over the line, I respectfully ask you and SE think about it.

Again I am ON your bloody side :) The reason I am even saying anything is I did the same thing last week in a different context* and I regretted it afterwards.

spoiler politics
Spoiler for Hiden:
In the heat of the moment I called all USA Republicans racists. Many of my Republican friends didn't much like that :) Looking back I would have phrased it differently while keeping the same intent which was to hilight the racist actions of the Republican party.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #978 on: July 02, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »
Well, the Republicans did get elected with the most explicitly racist agenda since George Wallace but, yeah, okay we can leave that.

I wasn't calling all of those who are accepting, or even keen, on the signing of Terry racist apologists.

However, there are a number of racist apologists who have exposed themselves on here. Notably the one (AVSnobs?) who suggested what Terry said was okay because we're all a bit racist and we all tell racist jokes really, or some shite like that.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #979 on: July 02, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
I'm struggling to keep up, let me get it straight...

"Racist" = unacceptable slur.
"Fucking black c***" = perfectly acceptable, sign him up?

No. Not at all.

"Racist apologist" = unacceptable slur for fellow fans who disagree with you and do not believe he is a racist or happen to believe he has changed and justice was served.

It really is wrong and over the line, I respectfully ask you and SE think about it.

Again I am ON your bloody side :) The reason I am even saying anything is I did the same thing last week in a different context* and I regretted it afterwards.

spoiler politics
Spoiler for Hiden:
In the heat of the moment I called all USA Republicans racists. Many of my Republican friends didn't much like that :) Looking back I would have phrased it differently while keeping the same intent which was to hilight the racist actions of the Republican party.

Why would anyone think that he wasn't racist? We have no evidence that he isn't and a big fat racial slur indicating that he is.

It's fine if you want us to sign him, and that obviously doesn't make you a racist or indeed a racist apologist, but to suggest that he isn't a despicable racist is ludicrous.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
« Reply #980 on: July 02, 2017, 09:39:25 PM »
Well, the Republicans did get elected with the most explicitly racist agenda since George Wallace but, yeah, okay we can leave that.

I wasn't calling all of those who are accepting, or even keen, on the signing of Terry racist apologists.

However, there are a number of racist apologists who have exposed themselves on here. Notably the one (AVSnobs?) who suggested what Terry said was okay because we're all a bit racist and we all tell racist jokes really, or some shite like that.

Thanks for the clarification, I am sure others also appreciate it. It came across rather different before. Yes the "well everyone does it" line really is not good when talking about racial abuse.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #981 on: July 02, 2017, 10:07:57 PM »
I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here.  There have been people who've said they're happy to overlook his baggage as they think he'll be a valuable player for us.  That's disagreeing but they weren't the target of the comment as I see it.  I think it was aimed at people doing the "well we've all done it" line of reasoning or likening it to games in the playground or arguing that he's not racist because a court said so.  Those people are being apologists, that doesn't make them racist though and I don't see any accusation of that in the last few pages.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #982 on: July 02, 2017, 10:12:15 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

« Reply #983 on: July 02, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
Thanks gents. I appreciate it. I am happy I read it wrong. Hopefully others will also benefit from the clarification. If it was just me and I wasted a bunch of your time then apologies and thanks for taking the time to help me understand the intent.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #984 on: July 02, 2017, 10:23:45 PM »
Paul Mariner backs John Terry for Aston Villa success.

I feel at ease now.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #985 on: July 02, 2017, 10:40:30 PM »
Paul Mariner backs John Terry for Aston Villa success.

I feel at ease now.

Between him and Brazil I'm not sure which of them would want us to sink into non league most. Probably that bitter hot air ballon fuck Brazil if I was having a flutter.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #986 on: July 02, 2017, 10:44:04 PM »
I confirm that the Terry to complete transfer to Aston Villa within the next 48 hours is on the yellow sky sports ticker tape thing. 

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #987 on: July 02, 2017, 10:54:03 PM »

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #988 on: July 02, 2017, 11:06:32 PM »
If he signs he will be the first player in Villa history that I truly despise before he's even had the opportunity to kick a ball for the club.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #989 on: July 02, 2017, 11:17:32 PM »
I also wish to put in record that I am really pissed off by this signing. There can't have been many players I have hated more than him. I remember having a terrible row on the phone to my dad when he tried to stick up for him - the worst ever.

Having said that, if he turns out to be a genuinely strong asset to the team, and I show any signs at all of weakening and thinking that he is OK after all, please pour my drink over my head when you see me in The Bartons. Actually, no, punch me in the face, I'll deserve it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal