collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 554877 times)

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #1005 on: July 03, 2017, 08:59:04 AM »
I am trying to summon up some vestige of concern . No past that now.

Online Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #1006 on: July 03, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »
My penny worth. I do not like John Terry. What concerns me more is that for the forty or so years of supporting the Villa I had a belief that the traditions and history of the club defined it as an institution. At the core of that was a value system which set the club above its peers. Recent custodians of the club have chipped away at those values and the act of signing a player so far removed from those values does concern me. I will continue to support the Villa but if any success is gained whilst he is with the club it will, in my opinion, tarnish it.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1007 on: July 03, 2017, 09:54:09 AM »
If I recall correctly, hasn't John Gregory recently been 'outed' for re-tweeting Britain First/EDL/UKIP stuff?

I am currently going through a house move and the bloke I am buying off is a vile, 75 year old, bigoted old twat.
I know this because we viewed his property on Election Day, and got chatting when his 'views' became obvious.

Now, there is nothing more I would like than to tell him to shove his house up his racist arse, but unfortunately we want it. I can't cut off my nose to spite my face, so I choose to ignore the unpleasantness in this person and carry on for the greater good.

My point is that there are loads of these vile individuals out there.
We all deal with them on a daily basis, sometimes without knowing.

We just have to be the bigger people and gain some comfort in the fact that 'we KNOW what you are'.
Bout right imo.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1008 on: July 03, 2017, 09:55:17 AM »
I'd laugh my nuts off if, after all this he failed the medical.  Probably done at this stage though.  One can but hope, not wishing any harm on him.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #1009 on: July 03, 2017, 10:01:13 AM »
I know you guys were not talking about me but I am a bit taken aback by the strong inference that fellow Villa fans here are racist because they are willing to give him a chance here. Over the line and very unfair.

There is plenty to not like about him coming here football wise and character wise without slurring fellow fans.

I don't think anyone has said that anyone on here is racist. I'm a bit shocked that so many on here are comfortable with us signing a known racist.

It does make many people uneasy and rightfully so. But other people are also right to question whether their dislike for his attitude can be squared with his ability as a footballer and a leader around the club. Something we need.

At Villa we've had our fair share of racists, bigots, and people who did things we would usually use as a reason to call them all the twats under the sun. But, we pick and choose based on what we want to think and feel. I personally can't stand John Terry but I'd be a hypocrite to pretend that I wouldn't be cheering him loudly if he lifted the Championship trophy or was an integral part of our set-up that got promoted.

Probably our greatest player was allegedly a wife beater and an alcoholic. The sort of person you'd hate to have associated with our club. And yet he's revered by just about everyone. Everyone picks and chooses their moral code so no need to get on a moral crusade when the plank in each of our eyes is jutting out.
This - I sometimes wonder what makes people so absolute in justice of one issue, and so loose on others - a bit like my local christian fundamentalists, that decide that 1 or 2 phrases are deadly sins, yet others we have moved on from.

I know JT said something racist, I have no clue if he is a racist generally (don't know him). I hate his appearance in general, but we need that type of players (just like I would cry if we signed Pepe, but he would make us much better). 

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1010 on: July 03, 2017, 10:04:27 AM »
I live in a very multicultural area of the city and I'm happy that I do. I work and mix with a rich blend of people from many different cultures. My own family is also pretty diverse. When we discuss football it quite lively with villa, blues, albion  and
the obligatory glory hunters. When discussing us signing Terry not one person has mentioned his character other than in a footballing sense. Take from that what you will. It's my last word on this discussion.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #1011 on: July 03, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »
Confirmed.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #1012 on: July 03, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
I know you guys were not talking about me but I am a bit taken aback by the strong inference that fellow Villa fans here are racist because they are willing to give him a chance here. Over the line and very unfair.

There is plenty to not like about him coming here football wise and character wise without slurring fellow fans.

I don't think anyone has said that anyone on here is racist. I'm a bit shocked that so many on here are comfortable with us signing a known racist.

It does make many people uneasy and rightfully so. But other people are also right to question whether their dislike for his attitude can be squared with his ability as a footballer and a leader around the club. Something we need.

At Villa we've had our fair share of racists, bigots, and people who did things we would usually use as a reason to call them all the twats under the sun. But, we pick and choose based on what we want to think and feel. I personally can't stand John Terry but I'd be a hypocrite to pretend that I wouldn't be cheering him loudly if he lifted the Championship trophy or was an integral part of our set-up that got promoted.

Probably our greatest player was allegedly a wife beater and an alcoholic. The sort of person you'd hate to have associated with our club. And yet he's revered by just about everyone. Everyone picks and chooses their moral code so no need to get on a moral crusade when the plank in each of our eyes is jutting out.
Frank Barson.
George Best

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/day-george-best-played-aston-8194316

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1013 on: July 03, 2017, 10:41:53 AM »
Welcome JT.  Lead from the front, inspire your teammates and show the team what is is to win. 

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1014 on: July 03, 2017, 10:46:14 AM »
Hopefully this will work out well. Last season was capable of picking up a PL winners medal, he should be comfortably the best centre back in the Championship and will be partnered with the next best (Chester). I hope this means Bruce will feel more comfortable letting the likes of Hourihane and Lansbury play further up the pitch now.

Offline frank black

« Reply #1015 on: July 03, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
Welcome JT, may I suggest you don't scroll back to check out earlier comments.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #1016 on: July 03, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
Welcome Mr Terry.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1017 on: July 03, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »
This is like learning Bono has joined The Righteous Mind. Gutted.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1018 on: July 03, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »
Not impressed with this

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1019 on: July 03, 2017, 10:59:38 AM »
A stain on our history.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal