collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549667 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #435 on: June 24, 2017, 11:21:13 PM »
Boycotting is a little too far for me but each to their own.

It's not like he's going to be with us for years and years, 2 years maximum, more likely just a year to get us up.

Did anyone boycott when Bannan got done for drink driving and still continued to play for us? Stan Collymore?

I already feel disconnected from the club for the monumental cock ups they've made on a yearly basis since 2010 so think I can withstand us signing yet another dodgy character who might actually help get us going and winning on the pitch and help to slowly get us back to where we should be.

I appreciate what you're saying and drink driving is a horrendous thing to do. I guess for me there are two things that make this situation different. One, very personal reason, is that I've recently had a child. I feel it's my responsibility to him to show him that racism is absolutely not okay. To bring him up supporting a team with John Terry in suggests that what I'm actually saying is "racism is bad but if you're good at football it'll all be alright in the end". If the drink driving thing happened now, I would probably see this differently.

Secondly, and much more morally dubious, is that Bannan committed his crime while he was playing for us. We were stuck with him until we could get rid of him. With Terry, we know what he's like and we're still actively trying to get him to play for us. That, to me, makes it much worse.

Other than the Ferdinand incident I don't remember any other racist incidents involving Terry though.

Online boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #436 on: June 24, 2017, 11:25:29 PM »
Boycotting is a little too far for me but each to their own.

It's not like he's going to be with us for years and years, 2 years maximum, more likely just a year to get us up.

Did anyone boycott when Bannan got done for drink driving and still continued to play for us? Stan Collymore?

I already feel disconnected from the club for the monumental cock ups they've made on a yearly basis since 2010 so think I can withstand us signing yet another dodgy character who might actually help get us going and winning on the pitch and help to slowly get us back to where we should be.

I appreciate what you're saying and drink driving is a horrendous thing to do. I guess for me there are two things that make this situation different. One, very personal reason, is that I've recently had a child. I feel it's my responsibility to him to show him that racism is absolutely not okay. To bring him up supporting a team with John Terry in suggests that what I'm actually saying is "racism is bad but if you're good at football it'll all be alright in the end". If the drink driving thing happened now, I would probably see this differently.

Secondly, and much more morally dubious, is that Bannan committed his crime while he was playing for us. We were stuck with him until we could get rid of him. With Terry, we know what he's like and we're still actively trying to get him to play for us. That, to me, makes it much worse.

Other than the Ferdinand incident I don't remember any other racist incidents involving Terry though.

Personally, that's enough. But I think there was also an incident involving Ledley King.

Being a footballer, you are idolised by millions of people and paid millions of pounds, living a life that most of us could only dream of. Is it too much to ask you go your whole career without saying anything racist? Is our expectancy of public figures so low that even that is considered too much to ask?!

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #437 on: June 24, 2017, 11:27:31 PM »
How do you know he hasn't changed? Do you believe someone should be punished for their misdemeanours for ever?

Online boozey182

« Reply #438 on: June 24, 2017, 11:29:39 PM »
How do you know he hasn't changed? Do you believe someone should be punished for their misdemeanours for ever?
No. Just for the record, I don't want him punished. But I don't believe my club should make someone that has been guilty of that one of their highest paid players. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #439 on: June 24, 2017, 11:31:07 PM »

Yes. It is God's will. Otherwise the Small Heath fans wouldn't have gone through everything they have over the years. ;)

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #440 on: June 24, 2017, 11:36:16 PM »
No. Just for the record, I don't want him punished. But I don't believe my club should make someone that has been guilty of that one of their highest paid players. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Well he was found guilty by the FA but not guilty by a court of law which suggests the racist thing isn't as clear cut as people are making out.

Online boozey182

« Reply #441 on: June 24, 2017, 11:45:05 PM »

Well he was found guilty by the FA but not guilty by a court of law which suggests the racist thing isn't as clear cut as people are making out.

That's true, it's not quite clean cut. Someone sent me the link below, the verdict from the trial in full, the other day. It's probably best people read that and draw their own conclusions. Personally, he comes across as someone I don't want at my club, but as I keep saying, that's just my personal opinion that I don't expect everyone to share.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9398132/John-Terry-found-not-guilty-of-racism-the-verdict-in-full.html

Apologies for the long link.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #442 on: June 24, 2017, 11:45:23 PM »
If 2nd division Aston Villa signed one of the best forwards in the world, I think you'd be telling prokies if you weren't excited to see him score goals and also eat an apple through a tennis racket.

I, for one, am shocked that right wing Tory-voting members of this forum have a laissez-faire attitude towards racism.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #443 on: June 24, 2017, 11:45:38 PM »

I took an employment law course once and if you want to discipline or sack somebody you don't need anywhere near the evidence as in a court of law. There was actually a percentage of certainty which was satisfactory for the former and a far bigger percentage for the latter.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #444 on: June 24, 2017, 11:52:07 PM »
If 2nd division Aston Villa signed one of the best forwards in the world, I think you'd be telling prokies if you weren't excited to see him score goals and also eat an apple through a tennis racket.

I, for one, am shocked that right wing Tory-voting members of this forum have a laissez-faire attitude towards racism.

Oh come on he's hardly a rabble rouser like Tommy Robinson uploading racist rants onto YouTube now is he, he's a footballer who said an alledged racist insult in the heat of the moment in a PL football match. A bit of perspective eh?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #445 on: June 24, 2017, 11:55:10 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9398132/John-Terry-found-not-guilty-of-racism-the-verdict-in-full.html

He maintained he said it because he was accused of it.... not the most convincing defence. I don't think he can be defended on it.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #446 on: June 24, 2017, 11:56:44 PM »

Oh come on he's hardly a rabble rouser like Tommy Robinson uploading racist rants onto YouTube now is he, he's a footballer who said an alledged racist insult in the heat of the moment in a PL football match. A bit of perspective eh?

Alleged?? I am not having that. He admitted to saying it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #447 on: June 24, 2017, 11:58:01 PM »
I never associated him with that sort of nonsense and I never would. We disagree on politics but I don't consider him a Nazi, FFS.

Like I don't consider most of the Conservative Party to be Nazis.

It goes without saying, though, that they have a high tolerance for racism.

Good luck though to Pickaninnie Ads and his watermelon smile.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #448 on: June 24, 2017, 11:58:52 PM »

He maintained he said it because he was accused of it.... not the most convincing defence. I don't think he can be defended on it.

Found not guilty though. Even if he did say it it's hardly the worst case of racism we've ever seen. Things are said in the heat of the moment that aren't meant. If he was as bad as many on here are making out then surely his black team mates have kicked up a fuss and refused to play with him, but nothing like that happened at all.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #449 on: June 24, 2017, 11:59:47 PM »

Alleged?? I am not having that. He admitted to saying it.

From what I've read in the past he admitted saying it but not in the context he was accused of by Ferdinand.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal