collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549741 times)

Online Chico Hamilton III

Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #345 on: June 23, 2017, 10:19:39 AM »
I've just suffered an nauseating flashback of 'Mr Chelski' being given that ego-tastic guard of honour at the end of last season. I'd imagine that any future contract drawn up for the tosser would feature a compulsory halt during every match - so folk could pay full homage to the self-styled Legend that Terry thinks he is. Endearing images abound...

We'll need to make some sort of banner. Something like, Captain, Leader, Racist....

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #346 on: June 23, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »
Is it acceptable to call a fellow professional a "fucking black c***"?

If not; why do you keep defending him with this tiresome "yeah but I bet you've made fun of a foreigner" routine?
See that's the point of all my posts. I haven't defended Terry at all in any of my posts. I don't know him, never met him and don't know anything about him that I haven't read about in the papers so how can I or anybody else make a damning judgement about him.
What I have been defending is that most people make a stupid comments from time to time but that doesn't make them racists. I have been called racist on this thread from people who have never met me. What is shows to me is that those that are first to a point finger and calls names are usually the most narrow minded.

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #347 on: June 23, 2017, 10:26:28 AM »
For me the link with jt says more about Bruce.
Signing jt who comes with the tag line "no coaching required" suits bruce.
I've never really felt Bruce has had full control/authority over the changing room, since his arrival, especially with gabby, richards and bacuna in the background. Bruce would be hoping that if he had jt, that might help to shift the balance of power in his favour. Personally I would sack off the idea of signing jt and instead use some of the money mentioned (as jt's wages) to pay off any 1 or preferably all 3 of the wastrels mentioned above. The atmosphere at the club would change for the better overnight and we'd still be left with a potentially talented squad for the championship.
Finally for automatic promotion we need to be in the mix after 10-12 games. If we're not its too late to change manager (as we found out last season with rdm). Bruce knows this and probably realises he'll be judged after 6 games, especially after last season's brain freeze in Jan/Feb and missed opportunity to manage the season out after Burton away. The idea of signing jt is a typical Bruce short term quick fix with very little thought given to medium/long term objectives. If it's Bruce's idea to sign a 37 year old, has been, mercenary footballer for  huge wages,  whilst keeping hold of the likes of gabby, richards and bacuna, then I'm fast losing any hope for the coming season.

I agree with releasing the damaging players of Gabby and Richards. Sadly, they should have gone last year, but we wasted a good crisis. This move for Terry shows reveals our strategy for the season somewhat, and it doesn't look like we'll be getting rid of the deadwood or achieving much success on the pitch.

I cannot understand how we can change management teams, administrative teams and even owners/chairmen and nothing changes. I work in a massive corporation and can see each change at directorship level is of a man trying to make his mark and to hell with the practicalities of such change. But, surely Villa is a much leaner environment and change should happen quicker? But, our changes are just of men trying the same things again and not being innovative. Maybe, they're all spoofers? Maybe they don't have any ideas and they are all just referencing "Football Clubs for Dummies".

My fear is that with this move for Terry that our downward spiral will further downward for this term at least.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #348 on: June 23, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »
^^

Agree with most of that.

It's a concern with regard to Round and the scouting set up, which was meant to get an overhaul.

If you look at our (mostly dismal) business last summer, you could make the argument that the structures weren't yet in place to move outside the immediate comfortzone of players the managers knew (Clarke > Tishbola Di Matteo> Gollini et.c) and there was an element of throwing money at the problem.

12 months on, and after and extensive, exhaustive search of world football the two best players to push us on are... a semi retired John Terry and Glen Whelan. 

We just don't learn.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #349 on: June 23, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
I've just suffered an nauseating flashback of 'Mr Chelski' being given that ego-tastic guard of honour at the end of last season. I'd imagine that any future contract drawn up for the tosser would feature a compulsory halt during every match - so folk could pay full homage to the self-styled Legend that Terry thinks he is. Endearing images abound...

We'll need to make some sort of banner. Something like, Captain, Leader, Racist....

When we finally win the FA Cup next season and he is injured or suspended for the final will will let him lift the trophy in his full Villa kit?

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #350 on: June 23, 2017, 10:53:01 AM »
^^

Agree with most of that.

It's a concern with regard to Round and the scouting set up, which was meant to get an overhaul.

If you look at our (mostly dismal) business last summer, you could make the argument that the structures weren't yet in place to move outside the immediate comfortzone of players the managers knew (Clarke > Tishbola Di Matteo> Gollini et.c) and there was an element of throwing money at the problem.

12 months on, and after and extensive, exhaustive search of world football the two best players to push us on are... a semi retired John Terry and Glen Whelan. 

We just don't learn.

Well said KG. The idea we have a scouting network is pretty laughable and worrying at the same time. Not sure what Round is getting paid for as we lack any form of footballing identity.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #351 on: June 23, 2017, 11:01:58 AM »
I wonder if Bruce is looking to play Terry in a three at the back, a system that he will have been heavily involved in last season, even if not playing regularly?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #352 on: June 23, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »
^^

Agree with most of that.

We just don't learn.

Well said KG. The idea we have a scouting network is pretty laughable and worrying at the same time. Not sure what Round is getting paid for as we lack any form of footballing identity.

You seem to both forget that we picked up James Bree and the young centre half Beadeau from Bury so we're not just signing John Terry's and Glen Whelan's are we really?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #353 on: June 23, 2017, 11:26:46 AM »
I had hopes that the new regime of Wyness, Rounds and He who Walks on Water were going to put in place a different way of working than that been evident in the last 7 years. The potential signing of Terry and the baggage that he comes with appears to indicate no fresh thinking, which to me is really disappointing.

This, and the observations that there does not seem to be much focus on coaching a new and innovative playing style; developing an Aston Villa approch to the game.
It's remarkable, actually, just how little progress we've made over the last few years in terms of addressing simple playing-style and squad issues.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #354 on: June 23, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »

I haven't defended Terry at all in any of my posts...

But:   

My point was all the righteous on here are bringing up the race card, how many hands on heart can swear they have never made a stupid comment or even thought it.

I'm not racist, but:

How many on here calling him all the name's under the sun can say with hand on heart they have never make a comment about the colour of somebodies skin colour or race whether in jest or not.

So you have never told an English man, Irish man and Scots man joke or as a kid held the corner of your eyes up and  spoke in an Chinese accent ?

Your commitment to JT's defence is admirable, but if you don't see there is a bit of a difference between most of the casual 1970s-style stereotyping you've offered there and calling someone a fxcking black cxnt on live TV (not in jest, either) then I can't help you.

The daft racist barb was a comedy reference from a little known BBC show called Alan Partridge, and was intended in that spirit. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

You are on a sticky wicket if you assume that every poster here has first hand experience of dishing out racial comments/making slitty eyed gestures/ putting dog muck through a Pakistani's letterbox or variations on a similar theme, though.

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #355 on: June 23, 2017, 11:44:02 AM »

I haven't defended Terry at all in any of my posts...

But:   

My point was all the righteous on here are bringing up the race card, how many hands on heart can swear they have never made a stupid comment or even thought it.

I'm not racist, but:

How many on here calling him all the name's under the sun can say with hand on heart they have never make a comment about the colour of somebodies skin colour or race whether in jest or not.

So you have never told an English man, Irish man and Scots man joke or as a kid held the corner of your eyes up and  spoke in an Chinese accent ?

Your commitment to JT's defence is admirable, but if you don't see there is a bit of a difference between most of the casual 1970s-style stereotyping you've offered there and calling someone a fxcking black cxnt on live TV (not in jest, either) then I can't help you.

The daft racist barb was a comedy reference from a little known BBC show called Alan Partridge, and was intended in that spirit. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

You are on a sticky wicket if you assume that every poster here has first hand experience of dishing out racial comments/making slitty eyed gestures/ putting dog muck through a Pakistani's letterbox or variations on a similar theme, though.

So you have attached some of my previous quotes presumably to show how I have defended Terry when in fact there is no reference to him. He may be a racist, he may not, I do not know him to make that judgement.
The only sticky wicket I am on seems to be from those of you upon your ivory towers casting their judgement on the rest of us. If you've never/thought made a joke or reference to someone's colour race then I take my hat off to you.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:45:58 AM by cannock villa »

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #356 on: June 23, 2017, 11:50:03 AM »
We all know what he is - it was proven and he was punished for it (I am not suggesting to forget and move onl)

Can we focus on what he potential could do for the club football wise - both good and bad as I am tending to skip over what he is and may miss a good comment about the player

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #357 on: June 23, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »
Ok, wage to big for a 37 year old in the Championship, how many games do people think he will play over the season, not good value for money in my humble

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #358 on: June 23, 2017, 12:42:27 PM »
that's my view on it too, I can't see him playing more than 30 games and the costs seem excessive for that given where we are.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal