collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Other Games - 2017/18  (Read 726633 times)

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Re: Other Games - 2017/18
« Reply #5610 on: April 05, 2018, 08:45:48 AM »
Fair play to them, but the whole "Anfield on European nights" coverage is doing my head in. Another sweeping Liverpool F.C. cliche, especially when they're in fact playing an East Lancs Road derby.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #5611 on: April 05, 2018, 09:15:08 AM »
Where are their passionate fans for league games? It's easy to sing in a Champions League Quarter Final against another English team when winning 3-0. Even Fulham would sing a couple of songs.
Where were those passionate, best fans in the world Scousers at the FA Cup Semi Final against us? They didn't make a peep all day.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #5612 on: April 05, 2018, 09:59:18 AM »
My step dad has had a season ticket at Anfield since the late sixties. He said the first half last night was the best 45 mins he had ever seen his team play. I despise the bin dippers but have to say his happy little face cheered me up this morning

I have a feeling it won't be so happy this day week.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #5613 on: April 05, 2018, 10:21:00 AM »
If the first leg had been at the Etihad, the Liverpool team bus had been attacked en route by home supporters and Man City had won 3-0 you would not be able to hear yourself think this morning for the howls of indignation from Merseyside. No doubt including demands that City be thrown out of the competition. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:25:20 AM by Richard E »

Online papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #5614 on: April 05, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »
They are very knowledgeable fans at Anfield, somebody said so on the radio last night, again. ::)

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #5615 on: April 05, 2018, 11:02:34 AM »
What epitomises the Liverpool fans to me is the case of Michael Shields who was part of a group travelling to watch them in Bulgaria. He was convicted of murdering a local man. Then followed a massive appeal and "justice for campaign which eventually resulted in his release and pardon. Another fan "admitted" to being the killer but this was later retracted. The hypocracy of getting a campaign behind a "victim" but not actually trying to bring a genuine killer to justice really irritatates me. What is of course lost in all this victim syndrome is the real victim who sadly lost his life that day at the hands of the hooligans.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5616 on: April 05, 2018, 11:08:42 AM »
What epitomises the Liverpool fans to me is the case of Michael Shields who was part of a group travelling to watch them in Bulgaria. He was convicted of murdering a local man. Then followed a massive appeal and "justice for campaign which eventually resulted in his release and pardon. Another fan "admitted" to being the killer but this was later retracted. The hypocracy of getting a campaign behind a "victim" but not actually trying to bring a genuine killer to justice really irritatates me. What is of course lost in all this victim syndrome is the real victim who sadly lost his life that day at the hands of the hooligans.

At least you've moved on from Hillsborough and Heysel. It's a start.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
« Reply #5617 on: April 05, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
It was attempted murder rather than murder.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5618 on: April 05, 2018, 11:31:15 AM »

Beat me to it.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #5619 on: April 05, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »
They are very knowledgeable fans at Anfield, somebody said so on the radio last night, again. ::)

Well it depends on the subject.  If it's a joint major in stanley knives and being an entitled whining  gobshite then older RedScouse are extremely knowledgeable.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #5620 on: April 05, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »

Beat me to it.

Do we want to go over that ground again? Let's not. I think Liverpool fans have a victim complex you don't. The above was an example where a misplaced victim crusade slightly undermines genuine ones. Happy to respect your different view.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
« Reply #5621 on: April 05, 2018, 01:10:08 PM »
The fact the guy was given a pardon by the Home Secretary would suggest that it was not "misplaced" (although I do accept that there is a controversy around that.) It's hardly unreasonable to campaign for the release of someone who you believe to have been unfairly convicted and it is not the campaigners' job to find the real perpetrator. Locking up the wrong person does not help the victim.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #5622 on: April 05, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »

Beat me to it.

Do we want to go over that ground again? Let's not. I think Liverpool fans have a victim complex you don't. The above was an example where a misplaced victim crusade slightly undermines genuine ones. Happy to respect your different view.

I'll go over any ground where the one poster on this site who invariably brings up Heysel whenever Hillsborough is mentioned, and often vice versa, uses words such as victim, campaign and justice, particularly with respect to a case that you cared so much about that you were unaware whether the real victim lived or died.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #5623 on: April 05, 2018, 02:08:46 PM »
When was the last time I brought up Heysel? You’re the one raising it here.

Not sure that it’s relevant to the point being made here whether a convicted hooligan was successful in his murder attempt or not.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #5624 on: April 05, 2018, 02:30:00 PM »
When was the last time I brought up Heysel? You’re the one raising it here.

Not sure that it’s relevant to the point being made here whether a convicted hooligan was successful in his murder attempt or not.

You have a history of bringing up Heysel in the context of Hillsborough. Now you're clinging to a story you knew so little about that you weren't even aware the victim lived, and using the exact same terminology you used about Hillsborough and using it to berate all Liverpool supporters. That's the relevance.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal