collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269644 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #1290 on: January 02, 2019, 02:32:09 PM »
He should get a chance in the fa Cup regardless

But I'm really not convinced. He lacks even the basics of hold up play. It's a bit of a luxury to have a striker who can only run onto through balls

Online itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #1291 on: January 02, 2019, 08:34:54 PM »
Scotty mate, if Tammy goes we're counting on you........

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1292 on: January 03, 2019, 06:49:22 AM »
I wouldn't count on Hogan to do anything other than look like a pub player who won the lottery

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1293 on: January 03, 2019, 11:45:47 PM »
A year ago he said this

I'm confident fans will see what they spent the money on," he told BBC WM.

"I've come here to score goals and I haven't. It beat me up that I couldn't score. There's reasons for that. I've come from a certain place in a certain way to a bigger place with a different way. But I'm still confident I'm the best striker at the club."

He was a prolific striker  and I found this on his record

Rochdale (2013-14): 17 goals in 29 (4) games

Brentford (2016-17): 21 goals in 27 (6) games

Suffered injuries before and also had some bad luck with them at Villa.

Then Bruce under pressure went with Grabban as a main striker.

I do hope he gets some chance now .

He came out after Bruce left saying he was never getting chance despite training hard hope and seemed disillusioned.

Hopefully he given fair go but it's only Fa cup matches like this or a move to different system that would see him in team as Abrahams seemingly here to stay

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1294 on: January 03, 2019, 11:55:29 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]
I'll put up his direct quotes

Headline :
My head wasn't completely in it:' Scott Hogan accuses Steve Bruce of false promises at Aston Villa

'The most difficult thing in football is not playing when you're fit. The second most difficult is playing in a system where there is just no way on this earth it's suited to you, you are hung out to dry a little bit.

'It (a 4-1-4-1 formation) led to less chances, less touches in the box. But I did what the manager asked me to do, he only ever asked me to work hard.

'I knocked on his door a couple of days before the window shut just to find out what was going on. Sheff United were very interested.

I wasn't allowed to leave. He was adamant that he didn't want me to go, he said I had a future playing as a striker and I was assured we were going to change the way we were playing.

'So it was disappointing for me two days later when he signed a striker and nothing changed at all.

'I then had an injury, which didn't help, but for the past five weeks I've been fit. So it's frustrating, but it's more frustrating when there is no answer. If you have a reason why you're not playing, you can go and work on it.

'People say you've got to be professional, train your best and all that, but it's difficult because you know you're not getting anything out of it. My head wasn't completely in it if I'm honest, because you knew no matter what you did that week, you weren't going to play, so there was nothing you could do except go home.'

But whoever it is, it doesn't matter, you've got a clean slate. Lads who have been playing will be fearing for places and lads who haven't will be thinking, "This is my chance to establish myself in the team now, get the club to where it belongs and become a hero". Hopefully I can be one of those people.'

Just revisting that reminds me now how well we are of not having Bruce shady here any more .

Also with Abraham and Kodjia 2 best strikers in league ahead of him for a central starting role he proper unlucky !

I think he be more included under Smith just because he knows him or at least makes him feel included but it's really tough in him as don't know how he break in.

It's only one side but Hogan seems mislead and also Bruce had pressure to get results never seemed to trust Hogan

I think now under Dean we will scout players to be effective and fit system and not just the best players in their position without realizing character- example McCormack and System - Hogan

I think and hope this window will be far better than previous regime and totally trust Smith and transfer committee to deliver in right areas

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1295 on: January 04, 2019, 09:14:25 AM »
Hogan is a mildly talented pub player and shouldn't feel bitter about anything.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1296 on: January 04, 2019, 10:07:04 AM »
He's 26, and he'd had one good season at Rochdale, and one good half season at Brentford.  Spending £12m on him based on that was unbelievably stupid.  He hasn't got anything even remotely like the all round game to command that sort of fee.  He shouldn't even be in the match day squad, I'd much rather see any of the U23 team get a chance ahead of him.  Sell him for whatever we can get this January.  It hasn't worked, and it isn't going to work.  Hopefully somebody will think they can get a tune out of him, and pay us £4m or as close as possible.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1297 on: January 04, 2019, 10:14:28 AM »
I disagree, guy gets signed for a massive fee by a manager who clearly has no idea how to use him, spends the best part of a year struggling to feed off scraps and then eventually gets a player behind him who starts dictating play in a way that works. Scores a 4 goals in 3 games and then sees a new striker come in, I can totally understand him finding it frustrating.

The most telling bit though is:

But I did what the manager asked me to do, he only ever asked me to work hard.

This is a guy who scored 2 in about 40 games before that little spell, the coaches and manager should've been talking to him all the time trying to work out how to get him into the game and getting chances, not just telling him to keep working hard.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1298 on: January 04, 2019, 10:15:34 AM »
I still think there's a player in Hogan and if anyone's going to get a tune out of him it's Dean Smith so I'm willing to give him a chance.

But when you think of the money we've pissed away spent on strikers since we got relegated it's just frightening!

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #1299 on: January 04, 2019, 10:31:15 AM »
Baffled as to why Hogan gets grief, when you consider A. There are so many bellends far more deserving of our ire, and B. His record as a striker pre villa vs ours as a club which ruins good players.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1300 on: January 04, 2019, 10:33:41 AM »
Big chance for him tomorrow

Offline Pvb1968

« Reply #1301 on: January 04, 2019, 10:50:59 AM »
Will we ever play a system that would suit him?
Hope we can and he starts scoring.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1302 on: January 04, 2019, 10:55:40 AM »
I disagree, guy gets signed for a massive fee by a manager who clearly has no idea how to use him, spends the best part of a year struggling to feed off scraps and then eventually gets a player behind him who starts dictating play in a way that works. Scores a 4 goals in 3 games and then sees a new striker come in, I can totally understand him finding it frustrating.

Other than the chance when the keeper kicked the ball straight to him, the goals he scored all came from crosses.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1303 on: January 04, 2019, 12:01:02 PM »

Other than the chance when the keeper kicked the ball straight to him, the goals he scored all came from crosses.

I know, but Grealish still played a massive part in our turnaround in form this time last year where Hogan actually looked a good striker for a few weeks. As we're seeing right now Grealish changes the way we play even if it isn't reflected in massive numbers of assists.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1304 on: January 04, 2019, 12:18:46 PM »
Will we ever play a system that would suit him?
Hope we can and he starts scoring.

Exactly !

Also how is he to get in ahead of Abraham ?
Abrahams is the Grabban of last season - and is main striker

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal