collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269623 times)

Offline passitsideways

Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #930 on: November 03, 2017, 04:38:55 AM »
Okay, I really hope I'm wrong (have been before) but he ain't gonna make it. He has had numerous opportunities, a run of games (agree not that many) different partners but to no avail. I really really hope I'm wrong and he becomes the confident goal scorer he was with Brentford.......

Have to disagree with that a bit.  He has come on up front on his own the majority of times he has featured this season and just isn't suited to that role.  I can't recall him being partnered up front with Davis or with O'Hare (apart from pre season).  He might fe more suited to a 4-4-2 alongside Davis and with crosses coming in or with someone like O'Hare or Grealish playing just behind him. It would need us to change our formation and style of play though, and I still really can't see why he was bought for so much when it is clear he just isn't what we need up there. 

Which obviously would be a dodgy old idea now that we've seem to have settled on a setup capable of yielding good results (provided that the approach is positive enough, of course). He may be an unknown quantity for the post-Bruce era, but that's thinking way too far ahead at this moment.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #931 on: November 03, 2017, 08:59:53 AM »
Okay, I really hope I'm wrong (have been before) but he ain't gonna make it. He has had numerous opportunities, a run of games (agree not that many) different partners but to no avail. I really really hope I'm wrong and he becomes the confident goal scorer he was with Brentford.......

Have to disagree with that a bit.  He has come on up front on his own the majority of times he has featured this season and just isn't suited to that role.  I can't recall him being partnered up front with Davis or with O'Hare (apart from pre season).  He might fe more suited to a 4-4-2 alongside Davis and with crosses coming in or with someone like O'Hare or Grealish playing just behind him. It would need us to change our formation and style of play though, and I still really can't see why he was bought for so much when it is clear he just isn't what we need up there. 

Which obviously would be a dodgy old idea now that we've seem to have settled on a setup capable of yielding good results (provided that the approach is positive enough, of course). He may be an unknown quantity for the post-Bruce era, but that's thinking way too far ahead at this moment.

Exactly and I just don't see him fitting into that current set up.  Said it another thread, but we desperately need to bring some like-for-like cover for Davis in January which would probably mean Hogan being surplus to requirements at that point. 

Offline muelyvilla82

« Reply #932 on: November 03, 2017, 09:25:47 AM »
I've said it before but Hogan is one of these players that you really want to do well, in my opinion his movement is up there with some of the best strikers but a mixture of bad luck and los of confidence has held him back. Really hope he finds his feet.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #933 on: November 03, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »
I think there's a decent footballer in Hogan. It hasn't quite happened here for him yet and it might not but I think he's a useful player to bring off the bench, albeit an expensive one.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #934 on: November 03, 2017, 10:37:18 AM »
I think there's a decent footballer in Hogan. It hasn't quite happened here for him yet and it might not but I think he's a useful player to bring off the bench, albeit an expensive one.

See Clampy, I don't think he is at the moment.  The minute he comes on, our performances usually take a nosedive as we can't hold the ball up front.  Like pretty much everyone else, I really want him to do well, but I just can't see it in the current set up.   

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #935 on: November 03, 2017, 10:42:43 AM »

How on earth is that remotely true?  He hasn't done a single useful thing when coming on as a sub.  All he did on Wednesday was give the ball away twice.  The two appearance before that he touched the ball something like 4 times in each game.  How is that useful whatsoever?  I'd much rather see somebody like O'Hare, who came on and was industrious and attacking at the same time.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #936 on: November 03, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »

See Clampy, I don't think he is at the moment.  The minute he comes on, our performances usually take a nosedive as we can't hold the ball up front.  Like pretty much everyone else, I really want him to do well, but I just can't see it in the current set up.   

I know what you're saying but I think 'nosedive' is a tad harsh. Yes, he's a different player to Davis but his energy and willingness to run is the last thing opposition defenders want after 80 minutes.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #937 on: November 03, 2017, 10:44:14 AM »

How on earth is that remotely true?  He hasn't done a single useful thing when coming on as a sub.  All he did on Wednesday was give the ball away twice.  The two appearance before that he touched the ball something like 4 times in each game.  How is that useful whatsoever?  I'd much rather see somebody like O'Hare, who came on and was industrious and attacking at the same time.

I didn't say it was true, it's just my opinion. You disagree, that's fine.

Online spangley1812

« Reply #938 on: November 03, 2017, 10:58:28 AM »

I didn't say it was true, it's just my opinion. You disagree, that's fine.

I agree with you Clampy from what I saw @ Brentford and his previous record he is good player, its not his fault we don't create the chances he needs or give him a decent run of games.......no one can be judged when they are coming on for 10/15 minutes @ the end of games   

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #939 on: November 03, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »
Do you think he might just be Kodjia insurance against JK getting injured early on in a match?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #940 on: November 03, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »

I know what you're saying but I think 'nosedive' is a tad harsh. Yes, he's a different player to Davis but his energy and willingness to run is the last thing opposition defenders want after 80 minutes.

On reflection it probably is a bit, but I think there is definitely a noticeable dip when he comes on.  In terms of opposition defenders, they seem to deal with him with relative ease. 

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #941 on: November 03, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »
Darren Bent went through games touching the ball 8-9 times and being a non factor outside the box but very often he scored the crucial goal and all was fine until we signed Benteke.

Hogan needs to be scoring if he's contributing so little in the build up and he just looks a million miles away from that with the lack of confidence on display.

I think we should cut our losses and sign another targetman striker in January to tick things over. I imagine SB is thinking similar. In a funny way Gestede wouldn't be a bad option in the present squad.

Offline Dave P

« Reply #942 on: November 03, 2017, 01:13:52 PM »
When can we put the "there's a good footballer in there somewhere" or "needs a run of games" soundbites to bed and all admit he's just not that good?  I feel we need to rent a space in a church basement and all try and admit this one by one.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #943 on: November 03, 2017, 01:22:52 PM »

I tend to agree, at least when O'Hare comes on he puts himself about. Hogan is obviously a decent player we just haven't seen it. Okay we don't seem to be playing to his strengths, but surely he has to adapt his game to suit.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #944 on: November 04, 2017, 01:13:50 AM »
I think you said the same Bout Tonev.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal