collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269672 times)

Offline Mellin

Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #915 on: November 01, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »
I also felt sorry for him. Confidence clearly at rock bottom. We've clearly not seen him anywhere near his best (and probably won't get to).

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #916 on: November 02, 2017, 11:02:18 AM »
Can't help but wonder if Hogan will be another resident at the Aston Villa Home for Formerly Prolific Championship Strikers. By chance alone, we are due one that continues to be prolific with us.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #917 on: November 02, 2017, 11:09:27 AM »
I wish people would not get so anxious about Hogan. I believe he will be very useful to us in the promotion push from February onwards when injuries and games toil up on the team. 

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #918 on: November 02, 2017, 11:15:32 AM »
Is he at least getting some playing time in the reserves?

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #919 on: November 02, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
I must have been watching a different game as when he came on last night I thought he looked quite bright - kept making good runs and helped lay on the chance for Adomah. 

Would still at some point like to see him have a start up top with Davis

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #920 on: November 02, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »
Said it before and I'll say it again, he's a quality player at this level that just isn't fitting in with the way we're playing. It happens.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #921 on: November 02, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »
I've seen absolutely nothing in Hogan to suggest he has any footballing quality at all.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #922 on: November 02, 2017, 04:19:13 PM »
An incident just after he came on for Davis, sums it up for me.  They had to drop a midfielder in at centre back in the second half and Davis gave him a torrid time, outmuscling him in pretty much every challenge.  Hogan came on and his first challenge with him ended up with Hogan being eased off the ball and onto the floor by the same defender.   

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #923 on: November 02, 2017, 05:04:02 PM »
He got passed the ball from a throw in, and under no pressure whatsoever, kicked the ball straight out of play. Then towards the end, he was in their 18 yard box, won the ball, and tamely passed it back to one of their defenders.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #924 on: November 02, 2017, 05:26:21 PM »
I must have been watching a different game as when he came on last night I thought he looked quite bright - kept making good runs and helped lay on the chance for Adomah. 

Would still at some point like to see him have a start up top with Davis

He started well but got steadily worse, if he’d played for any longer he’d have been scoring own goals and offering out his team mates. He clearly has ability but it rarely shows itself. Some people appear determined to blame it on the manager as it suits their standpoint but to me it seems that he is struggling with the level of expectation that comes with playing for the biggest club in the division.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #925 on: November 02, 2017, 05:31:48 PM »
He got passed the ball from a throw in, and under no pressure whatsoever, kicked the ball straight out of play. Then towards the end, he was in their 18 yard box, won the ball, and tamely passed it back to one of their defenders.
Apparently one of his better games..
As Tom says above, ( and I have noticed every time he plays) his ability to be eased off the ball is extremely concerning, you can not play at this level if every time you get the ball it gets taken off you or you give it away.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #926 on: November 02, 2017, 08:08:47 PM »
He doesn't really seem to have the technique you'd need to get away with being so lightweight

But he's clearly way below what he was at Brentford, even accounting for different playing styles etc

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #927 on: November 02, 2017, 08:43:40 PM »
Work colleague has one of the Brentford backroom staff as a flatmate. He reckons that Hogan is not at all happy at Villa – still living in London and commuting up, and very critical of the coaching work done each week. At Brentford, they'd have three distinct sessions that were set up to how the opposition were expected to play against them; at Villa, it's a bit more bibs and cones.

None of that shocks me given the little snippets we see from the training sessions on youtube and what we actually produce on the pitch most weeks.

I've been critical of Hogan a fair bit but for the good of his career he needs to move, maybe not in January but next summer. Deep down he knows this wasn't his best career move.

Thorough training sessions won't help you shine if you can't trap a football from a throw in.  His confidence is completely shot and its obvious  that he needs selling ASAP.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #928 on: November 02, 2017, 10:26:45 PM »
Okay, I really hope I'm wrong (have been before) but he ain't gonna make it. He has had numerous opportunities, a run of games (agree not that many) different partners but to no avail. I really really hope I'm wrong and he becomes the confident goal scorer he was with Brentford.......

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #929 on: November 03, 2017, 01:12:50 AM »
Okay, I really hope I'm wrong (have been before) but he ain't gonna make it. He has had numerous opportunities, a run of games (agree not that many) different partners but to no avail. I really really hope I'm wrong and he becomes the confident goal scorer he was with Brentford.......

Have to disagree with that a bit.  He has come on up front on his own the majority of times he has featured this season and just isn't suited to that role.  I can't recall him being partnered up front with Davis or with O'Hare (apart from pre season).  He might fe more suited to a 4-4-2 alongside Davis and with crosses coming in or with someone like O'Hare or Grealish playing just behind him. It would need us to change our formation and style of play though, and I still really can't see why he was bought for so much when it is clear he just isn't what we need up there. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal