collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269732 times)

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #900 on: October 31, 2017, 10:55:01 PM »
I’ve always been convinced that before his injury the plan was to sell Kodjia in the summer and buy another forward to play alongside Hogan - at the time Davis hadn’t had his Norwich game so was not really in the picture...at least I hope that was his plan else signing Hogan just comes across as spectacularly misjudged, coupled with the way he de-valued McCormack publicly outing his attitude it’s fair to say he hasn’t done great with our forwards :-) and their resale potential.

Personally hope Hogan gets 2 or 3 games up with Davis if Kodjia is out, seems foolhardy to judge him on 15 mins here, 15 mins there rather than from the start when we aren’t just trying to close down games.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #901 on: November 01, 2017, 12:37:44 AM »
Don’t think I have seen a player that it is so easy to take the ball off.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #902 on: November 01, 2017, 07:08:47 AM »
Don’t think I have seen a player that it is so easy to take the ball off.

He's a finisher that doesn't seem to want much time on the ball; not a ball-player. I agree that now is the perfect time to play him, alongside Davis. If he does not step up, we should look to get rid in the January window.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #903 on: November 01, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »
Work colleague has one of the Brentford backroom staff as a flatmate. He reckons that Hogan is not at all happy at Villa – still living in London and commuting up, and very critical of the coaching work done each week. At Brentford, they'd have three distinct sessions that were set up to how the opposition were expected to play against them; at Villa, it's a bit more bibs and cones.
Sounds brill...where are Brentford in the table again?
Brentford have lost some of their best players this season including Hogan . Came to Villa Park a few weeks ago and and were easily the better side.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #904 on: November 01, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
Should be no where near the starting X1.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #905 on: November 01, 2017, 11:42:20 AM »
I think he would benefit from a 4231 with Grealish in close proximity and a couple of wide players. Its not how we will be setting tonight though.

I would mind seeing him in a 442, but I wonder if Jedinak/Whelan is going to limit Hourihane and on balance, I'd prefer Hourihane and Onomah supporting Davis with Snodders and Adomah to 442.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #906 on: November 01, 2017, 12:32:53 PM »
Work colleague has one of the Brentford backroom staff as a flatmate. He reckons that Hogan is not at all happy at Villa – still living in London and commuting up, and very critical of the coaching work done each week. At Brentford, they'd have three distinct sessions that were set up to how the opposition were expected to play against them; at Villa, it's a bit more bibs and cones.

None of that shocks me given the little snippets we see from the training sessions on youtube and what we actually produce on the pitch most weeks.

I've been critical of Hogan a fair bit but for the good of his career he needs to move, maybe not in January but next summer. Deep down he knows this wasn't his best career move.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #907 on: November 01, 2017, 12:34:55 PM »
Sounds brill...where are Brentford in the table again?

Bit of an odd comment that. Considering their resources, 3-4 years of championship football is pretty good going from them. Anyone who sees them play will realise they're well coached and play decent football for what is a development/feeder club.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #908 on: November 01, 2017, 12:38:46 PM »
I think he would benefit from a 4231 with Grealish in close proximity and a couple of wide players. Its not how we will be setting tonight though.

I would mind seeing him in a 442, but I wonder if Jedinak/Whelan is going to limit Hourihane and on balance, I'd prefer Hourihane and Onomah supporting Davis with Snodders and Adomah to 442.

Couple of times I've seen him play he's been next to useless at holding the ball up and also wants to avoid physical contact with defenders after his bad injuries so don't think he'd be effective in lone striker role at all.

I do think him and Davis could work with a run of games but would require us switching to 3-5-2 again and we always seem to have awful results playing that formation.

Kodjia hasn't been great so far this season but you know at some point he'll explode and have a great run of form of 9 goals in 10 games or something.

Hogan just dosen't give the indication he's even going to score another goal for us with his cameos.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #909 on: November 01, 2017, 05:35:13 PM »
I think Hogan could operate as a lone striker but only in a 4231 as Ads suggests or I think better in a 4141.  The key is getting the midfield close to him and playing through the midfield rather than launching long balls which are simply not going to work.

Working alongside a big striker could also work but he still relies on balls slotted through, which I'm not sure Davis is capable of.  Hogan's not quick enough to do much with flick ons so even if we play him with Davis I'm still not sure we'll see him thrive.

There's just so much that would need to change about our style of play to get the most out of Hogan it's just not worth it.  We should cut our losses ASAP.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #910 on: November 01, 2017, 05:42:34 PM »

Might be worth having a look at him with Grealish or O'Hare in the U23's.  The snippets I have seen them play together, him and O'Hare do seem to have a bit of an understanding.  Would involve us changing the way we play though, so pretty doubtful.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #911 on: November 01, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »
I don't know if it's lack of ability, lack of confidence or a combination of both but he looked gash again tonight when he came on.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #912 on: November 01, 2017, 09:53:47 PM »
His confidence looked completely shot to me

It doesn't feel like it's going to be a success does it. He's only ever going to get chances here and there. He never loos like taking them. Today we were just breaking at will in the last twenty and he still never looked dangerous

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #913 on: November 01, 2017, 09:55:53 PM »
Must admit, i'd never really heard of him till we signed, so not sure if he was any good, but he looks completely shot of confidence. Struggles to do the basic things,  feel sorry for him.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #914 on: November 01, 2017, 09:57:01 PM »
Another bad game (although he played us out of the back very well once).

Sadly he is not playing well at all. I wish I could say otherwise :(

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal