collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269843 times)

Offline Diablo

Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #720 on: October 02, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
Hogan offers something different to what we have. I'm hoping that they (Calderwood /Bruce) are urgently working on the training ground to play to Hogan's strengths or that when Grealish returns he'll help. Imagine if we had some tactical flexibility/variation?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #721 on: October 02, 2017, 11:25:03 AM »
Hogan offers something different to what we have. I'm hoping that they (Calderwood /Bruce) are urgently working on the training ground to play to Hogan's strengths or that when Grealish returns he'll help. Imagine if we had some tactical flexibility/variation?

It's a nice idea, but we don't currently have that.  The problem is that Hogan coming on in tight games like Saturday means that we will find ourselves under increasing pressure as the ball won't stick up front.  As I said before, I feel for him but he is currently not what we need.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #722 on: October 02, 2017, 11:58:55 AM »

It's a nice idea, but we don't currently have that.  The problem is that Hogan coming on in tight games like Saturday means that we will find ourselves under increasing pressure as the ball won't stick up front.  As I said before, I feel for him but he is currently not what we need.
I think he is being brought on mainly to add energy and press

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #723 on: October 02, 2017, 12:03:15 PM »
Hogan is better suited to the counter attacking style. Good movement, pacey. None of our forwards are particularly good at the long ball stuff. Keinan might be if he has players around him but that's not really the game plan for the long ball I guess. I'd like to see Hogan and Keinan rotated in terms of starts. Both very useful players.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #724 on: October 02, 2017, 01:12:35 PM »
Whenever he brings Hogan on he takes both Davis and then Kodjia in quick succession leaving poor Hogan on his todd again

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #725 on: October 02, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »

I think he is being brought on mainly to add energy and press

Unfortunately he does neither.  It just looks so easy for defenders against him at the moment.  As pointed out above, it doesn't help that he is usually up front on his own when he comes on.  I'd like to see how he fares alongside Davis at some point.     

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #726 on: October 03, 2017, 02:27:07 AM »
Still looks a very poor signing.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #727 on: October 03, 2017, 01:42:57 PM »
Poor signing in the sense that he's been bought for a huge fee and no plan how to use him but he's a very good player and the one I really feel sorry for because we appear to have found a winning formula without him in the team. I really think this one was a ridiculous panic buy. I've absolutely no doubt he'll do well for us if we can accommodate him and if not he'll do very well for someone else at this level certainly, maybe higher.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #728 on: October 03, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »
Poor signing in the sense that he's been bought for a huge fee and no plan how to use him but he's a very good player and the one I really feel sorry for because we appear to have found a winning formula without him in the team. I really think this one was a ridiculous panic buy. I've absolutely no doubt he'll do well for us if we can accommodate him and if not he'll do very well for someone else at this level certainly, maybe higher.

Fully agree with this. There are 'poor' signings where the player is just crap, and whoever scouted him (if at all) was misguided, and there are signings where the player is obviously a good footballer (as Hogan clearly is) but individual and system just don't fit well together. I'd love to see him do well for us, but I simply have reservations as to whether or not Bruce is capable of playing in the style Hogan needs to get service as a striker.

Seems like a decent bloke and works hard - part of me wouldn't begrudge him moving on if he can get back to the form he's shown elsewhere.
Ideally though we'd be able to adapt the way we play so we can utilise him a bit better when needed. Ideally.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #729 on: October 03, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »
Whenever he brings Hogan on he takes both Davis and then Kodjia in quick succession leaving poor Hogan on his todd again

My thoughts exactly.  He is all on his own feeding on ball that is largely in the air, I don’t understand the thought process in signing a big money forward and never playing to his strengths

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #730 on: October 03, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
The problem I see is that even when the ball is played to his feet he loses possession.
 I Am assuming that he can only operate with the ball played in front of him which is pretty limiting.
This might be ok against lower level opposition but you cannot build a team on it.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #731 on: October 03, 2017, 05:13:40 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  He is all on his own feeding on ball that is largely in the air, I don’t understand the thought process in signing a big money forward and never playing to his strengths

From the highlights there's one 'chance' he has which highlights how poor a job we're doing with him:

https://youtu.be/A0GH3CoRric?t=7m28s

That's not a shooting opportunity but could've been a really good chance if we'd had someone busting a gut to get into the box.  I get that they were all in our half but that's exactly the problem, we always slip into that 451 when he comes on and it means he regularly gets the ball in places like that.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #732 on: October 03, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »

It was a panic buy absolutely. I’m also not sure that he’s a very good player, as to me he looks like a one trick lower league pony who has won the lottery after a good half season with Brentford.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #733 on: October 03, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »
I'm not so sure about him being a panic buy. There's not much evidence of that really to be honest. I think he's a very good player as well. It's just not happened for him here yet unfortunately.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #734 on: October 03, 2017, 07:27:30 PM »
 I like him and still have a hope that he will come good for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal