collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269671 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #675 on: September 21, 2017, 12:47:05 PM »
I am struggling to think of a player I have seen play for us who has had less impact on a game than Hogan.  I understand that the service wasn't great again last night, but he had absolutely no affect on the game whatsoever.  I fully understand it must be difficult when the service is so limited, but he doesn't make it difficult for defenders at all and they seem to have such an easy time against him.

Remember Guy Whittingham? Didn't we sign him on the back of a 40+ goal season? Then when he played for us he simply didn't fit. Left us with single figure goals.

Certainly do.  Gary Penrice was another one.

To be fair to Whttingham and Penrice they both came from a lower division. Whittingham was only given 25 games and Penrice just twenty (I actually though Penrice played even less than that). You can also guarantee that in both cases those totals included coming on as sub a fair few times.

Fair point.  I think it is probably worth noting that Hogan was playing non-league football four years ago. 

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #676 on: September 21, 2017, 12:49:37 PM »
Had Bruce looked at his goals? And how to get the best out of him?

To be fair to Bodger Bruce, he only saw the one goal from that video, the one where they hoof the ball into the box and Scott scores with a header.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #677 on: September 21, 2017, 12:52:27 PM »
I am struggling to think of a player I have seen play for us who has had less impact on a game than Hogan.  I understand that the service wasn't great again last night, but he had absolutely no affect on the game whatsoever.  I fully understand it must be difficult when the service is so limited, but he doesn't make it difficult for defenders at all and they seem to have such an easy time against him.

Remember Guy Whittingham? Didn't we sign him on the back of a 40+ goal season? Then when he played for us he simply didn't fit. Left us with single figure goals.

Certainly do.  Gary Penrice was another one.

To be fair to Whttingham and Penrice they both came from a lower division. Whittingham was only given 25 games and Penrice just twenty (I actually though Penrice played even less than that). You can also guarantee that in both cases those totals included coming on as sub a fair few times.

Fair point.  I think it is probably worth noting that Hogan was playing non-league football four years ago.

The way things are going for him, the team, it's style of play and the manager at the moment just sit back and enjoy all the punchlines to your post roll in.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #678 on: September 21, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
Was the away game at Bristol City straight after the Wigan cup match? I could just check, but I'm lazy.

For me, in the Wigan game where he scored a brace, he looked sharp and his second was a beautiful finish. He should have been the first name on the team sheet for the Bristol City game. If we had a proper manager who plays to win, Hogan would've been.

Instead he was reduced to the status of a late sub. For what reason? Was he injured in the Wigan game? If so, why was he even in the squad for the Friday night match?

Bruce has contributed hugely to Hogan's lack of form.

A crap manager. Get rid.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:09:05 PM by Axl Rose »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #679 on: September 21, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »
I spoke to a Brentford fan about him a few weeks ago

He said: good player, couldn't believe how much we paid for him, has only really had one good half season at this level, and was very injury prone

Offline Axl Rose

« Reply #680 on: September 21, 2017, 01:11:38 PM »
I spoke to a Brentford fan about him a few weeks ago

He said: good player, couldn't believe how much we paid for him, has only really had one good half season at this level, and was very injury prone

But look at that video a few pages back. He looks great, and his record stacks up, too. Imagine a manager with a brain and real tactical nous, a manager who could pair him and Kodjia/Davis(or all three) and wreck havoc in this division.

Once Bruce departs, hopefully someone will come in and rejuvenate Hogan. I think he's a decent player.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #681 on: September 21, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »
I like what I've seen of Hogan too.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #682 on: September 21, 2017, 01:23:39 PM »
It could be interesting to see him partnered with Davis, although he is behind Kodjia at the moment in those stakes.  Davis could do the kind of work he doesn't do well, leaving him to concentrate on his strengths. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:08:15 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #683 on: September 21, 2017, 01:33:12 PM »
Was the away game at Bristol City straight after the Wigan cup match? I could just check, but I'm lazy.

For me, in the Wigan game where he scored a brace, he looked sharp and his second was a beautiful finish. He should have been the first name on the team sheet for the Bristol City game. If we had a proper manager who plays to win, Hogan would've been.

Instead he was reduced to the status of a late sub. For what reason? Was he injured in the Wigan game? If so, why was he even in the squad for the Friday night match?

A crap manager. Get rid.

We were playing Wigan reserves.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #684 on: September 21, 2017, 01:36:28 PM »

A crap manager. Get rid.

Which didn't stop people using it, at the time, as a sign that Bruce had worked out how we should play.  That's why I don't count any of the cup games in when talking about his record, because the teams that play those games don't really represent the team you see in the league, certainly not in the first few rounds of this cup.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #685 on: September 21, 2017, 01:41:17 PM »
We have so many options, a real embarrassment of riches but there's nothing to stop us at least at home playing 4-3-3 with a front line of Hogan, Davis and Kodja supported my a midfield of Jedi or Whelan protecting the back line with two runners in front, Houriane and Onomah.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #686 on: September 21, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »
&feature=share

Through balls from midfield... all a bit alien for us.
That is NOT the same Scott Hogan we have signed. There must've been a mix up at the hospital.

Offline Axl Rose

« Reply #687 on: September 21, 2017, 01:56:13 PM »

A crap manager. Get rid.

You can only beat what's in front of you, though. As much of a cliche as that sounds, it does hold an element of truth.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #688 on: September 21, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
&feature=share

Through balls from midfield... all a bit alien for us.
That is NOT the same Scott Hogan we have signed. There must've been a mix up at the hospital.

same player just this is a team that creates

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #689 on: September 21, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »
Youtube compilations are no guarantee of quality.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal