collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 303622 times)

Offline Allan C

Re: Conor Hourihane - good luck abroad
« Reply #2010 on: May 30, 2021, 08:47:08 AM »
I think he will end up in the Championship at a side that is aspiring to come up. And in a full season he will have great stats at that level. Some screaming goals and a number of assists. He’s just no longer an effective PL level player.

I think he is. Not at the level we aim to be at, but he'd be fine at the likes of Burnley.
Yeah, I'm of a similar opinion. I think he's actually a pretty decent Premier League player, the main issue is that he doesn't really suit our style under Dean Smith.

I'd be inclined to say that in the right set up, he'd do really well. We play a really high intensity, attacking game, whereas I think Conor would probably suit a more defensive  side. Thinking sides like England whose game plan revolves around set pieces.

He's a bit of a one trick pony - but his trick is scoring goals, and he's extremely good at it.
I’ve always liked Connor but I’d be shocked if he ended up at a PL club. His limitations were there to see in our first season back but he would fit right in at a club looking to stabilise in the championship such as Albion or Sheff Utd. I can’t see him playing any part at Villa nor should he

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2011 on: May 30, 2021, 09:12:37 AM »
Like Elmo I have a lot of respect for him, came in when we were a basket case, got the club and played a big part in were we are now. For me  I will always have a big fondness for him but its time to move on now and at 28/29 he still has an awful lot to offer to the right club.
Very true. However, unfortunately for him, he'll have turned 34 by the time the clocks go back.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 09:17:05 AM by Lastfootstamper »

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #2012 on: May 30, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »
Like Elmo I have a lot of respect for him, came in when we were a basket case, got the club and played a big part in were we are now. For me  I will always have a big fondness for him but its time to move on now and at 28/29 he still has an awful lot to offer to the right club.
Very true. However, unfortunately for him, he'll have turned 34 by the time the clocks go back.
He's 30 according to Wicki.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2013 on: May 30, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »
The opinion of Swansea fans is overwhelmingly negative from any glance at their forums. He's a lot more loved at Villa but he's not going to play and it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

This from a Swansea fan doesn't reflect the Conor we know:

I'llot mince words here -a Ive had a few drinks.Houlihane is the biggest coward ,biggest disgrace to our fine club we have ever had. An appalling professional and one we should have simply accepted was a mistake.
Lacking in energy,committmen t,courage and skill ,he was a stain on our shirt.And he started today folks. He started.

heh. They must have very high standards at Swansea if Hourihane is the worst player they've ever had.  Some post play-off loss hysteria methinks

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #2014 on: May 30, 2021, 10:39:19 AM »
i  would'nt be surprised if Conor follows in the footsteps of the likes of Gardner and Hogan and ends up at the Sty  Hope not as he deserves a lot better

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #2015 on: May 30, 2021, 10:54:18 AM »
Hourihane a 'coward'?

Too many leek ales.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #2016 on: May 30, 2021, 11:03:42 AM »
If bravery was personified by the idiot who went round looking for confrontation and then eventually got himself sent off I'd say Swansea could have done with one or two more cowards on the pitch yesterday.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #2017 on: May 30, 2021, 11:15:21 AM »
He's 30 according to Wicki.

Sorry, my apologies. I was on about Elmo! I had my second vaccine shot yesterday, I'll blame that.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2018 on: May 30, 2021, 11:29:55 AM »
The opinion of Swansea fans is overwhelmingly negative from any glance at their forums. He's a lot more loved at Villa but he's not going to play and it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

This from a Swansea fan doesn't reflect the Conor we know:

I'llot mince words here -a Ive had a few drinks.Houlihane is the biggest coward ,biggest disgrace to our fine club we have ever had. An appalling professional and one we should have simply accepted was a mistake.
Lacking in energy,committmen t,courage and skill ,he was a stain on our shirt.And he started today folks. He started.

heh. They must have very high standards at Swansea if Hourihane is the worst player they've ever had.  Some post play-off loss hysteria methinks
He’s an easy target much as Barkley was for us. He’s not their player and they know it’s coming to an end.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #2019 on: May 30, 2021, 01:59:10 PM »
Overall, despite a reasonable start, he has been pretty underwhelming for Swansea.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2020 on: May 30, 2021, 02:30:58 PM »
I think he will end up in the Championship at a side that is aspiring to come up. And in a full season he will have great stats at that level. Some screaming goals and a number of assists. He’s just no longer an effective PL level player.

I think he is. Not at the level we aim to be at, but he'd be fine at the likes of Burnley.

Oh you can be a PL player and not be particularly effective. So my statement wouldn’t preclude him from playing at PL level. See Westwood, A specific to Burnley.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2021 on: May 30, 2021, 02:33:49 PM »
Hourihane a 'coward'?

Too many leek ales.

And Swansea fans who think he’s a coward are absolute fucking bell ends. If there’s one thing Conor Hourihane isn’t it’s a coward. When playing he’ll mix it with anyone and one of the first to defend his teammates. I’m happy Swansea didn’t make it back.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2022 on: May 30, 2021, 03:15:33 PM »
Overall, despite a reasonable start, he has been pretty underwhelming for Swansea.
He was certainly pretty poor yesterday.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2023 on: May 30, 2021, 10:14:44 PM »
In fairness that comment from the Swansea fan rings true in places. The "Hologram" nickname is cruel but the truth is without the ball he is useless and with it his main strengths are set-pieces and late runs from midfield with a decent left foot shot. Just not enough for us, unless he's happy to be a sub and come on for the last 10 minutes when we're chasing a goal. In which case he'll be our Keinan Davis in midfield.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #2024 on: May 30, 2021, 10:24:32 PM »
In fairness that comment from the Swansea fan rings true in places. The "Hologram" nickname is cruel but the truth is without the ball he is useless and with it his main strengths are set-pieces and late runs from midfield with a decent left foot shot. Just not enough for us, unless he's happy to be a sub and come on for the last 10 minutes when we're chasing a goal. In which case he'll be our Keinan Davis in midfield.

I can think of worse options, i.e.most of our other subs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal