collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 299950 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Conor Hourihane - good luck abroad
« Reply #2025 on: May 31, 2021, 07:13:20 AM »
Their reactions are similar to the ones on here and any other football forum. Disappointment and frustration causes OTT rants and misdirected anger.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2026 on: May 31, 2021, 07:35:44 AM »
...his main strengths are set-pieces and late runs from midfield with a decent left foot shot. Just not enough for us, unless he's happy to be a sub and come on for the last 10 minutes when we're chasing a goal...

I can think of worse options, i.e.most of our other subs.

Nothing wrong with a goalscoring midfielder from the bench. After all without his goal in the play-off semi final 1st leg vs the bitters (as a sub) where would Villa be now as a club?

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #2027 on: May 31, 2021, 09:27:02 AM »
Their reactions are similar to the ones on here and any other football forum. Disappointment and frustration causes OTT rants and misdirected anger.

Granted, there's a bit of that here but the criticism has been going on for a while by the look of it and they don't tend to pick on the better performing players. Shame really, I think we all assumed Conor would be perfect for them but after a brilliant start, he tailed off quickly. The 'coward' comments are hyperbolic nonsense but as Eamonn said, it's probably the equivalent of the wazzocks who call him 'Hologram' on here.

https://the72.co.uk/237438/were-always-a-man-down-with-hordes-of-swansea-city-fans-rip-into-one-player-after-brentford-defeat/
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/272648/the-reason-why-hourihane-won%E2%80%99t-be-coming-back/#28

It doesn't look like he'll be joining Swansea permanently so it'll be interesting to see where he ends up. He's still only 30 so a few years away from a sentimental return to Barnsley or something on lower wages. There's probably only a handful of clubs in the Championship that can afford him. He might end up sticking around by default.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2028 on: May 31, 2021, 09:56:28 AM »
Strange one, he scored four goals in his first 5 games. His form seems to have dropped off significantly thereafter. Surprised that he had little impact yesterday, thought he was one of our better players against Derby in Wembley. Wasn't he there before with Barnsley aswell?

Don't think Hourihane will have much of an issue picking up a decent championship side this summer. Needs a specific role though as he can be a passenger at times without the ball.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2029 on: May 31, 2021, 09:57:39 AM »
I saw the play-off final and their best chance fell to Ayew who fluffed his lines from a few yards out following a Conor cross.
Brentford were the better team. If I was a swans fan I'd be slating the manager who appeared inept to me. His tactics were all wrong and keeping the player who was red carded on the pitch for as long as he did was plain daft. Everybody could see he was looking to be sent off. Grimes getting booked early on (no doubt following the manager's instructions) nullified them also. The blame for their poor performance lies closer to home, but I wouldn't expect their delusional support to see that.

Online Allan C

« Reply #2030 on: May 31, 2021, 11:48:13 AM »
I saw the play-off final and their best chance fell to Ayew who fluffed his lines from a few yards out following a Conor cross.
Brentford were the better team. If I was a swans fan I'd be slating the manager who appeared inept to me. His tactics were all wrong and keeping the player who was red carded on the pitch for as long as he did was plain daft. Everybody could see he was looking to be sent off. Grimes getting booked early on (no doubt following the manager's instructions) nullified them also. The blame for their poor performance lies closer to home, but I wouldn't expect their delusional support to see that.
I agree with this. I’m working in Senegal at the moment and I’m currently watching the game for the third time. Conor, while not playing well, isn’t the worst on the field. Swansea were poor from the start although the sending off was a weird one. I have to say I don’t like Brentford either though.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2031 on: May 31, 2021, 11:58:06 AM »
I agree with this. I’m working in Senegal at the moment and I’m currently watching the game for the third time. Conor, while not playing well, isn’t the worst on the field. Swansea were poor from the start although the sending off was a weird one. I have to say I don’t like Brentford either though.

Every team must have a scapegoat. It's the law.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2032 on: May 31, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »
Watching a Swansea game for the third time in Senegal will take some beating.

I did smile at this tweet from one of their fans though:
You’ve heard of August 2019 Borja Baston, now we have January 2021 Conor Hourihane

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2033 on: May 31, 2021, 04:41:10 PM »
Would Norwich take him as a PX for Buendia?  Obviously we’d still be stumping up about £30m but losing wages, if more payers are coming in, will be necessary.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 07:48:03 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Online Allan C

« Reply #2034 on: May 31, 2021, 04:47:45 PM »
Watching a Swansea game for the third time in Senegal will take some beating.

I did smile at this tweet from one of their fans though:
You’ve heard of August 2019 Borja Baston, now we have January 2021 Conor Hourihane
I spend a lot of time here and as you can imagine they are football crazy. The champions league final was live (as was our FA Youth Cup Final) and it’s currently on about 3 times a day. I watched the Championship playoff match live and didn’t think Conor was the worst by any means. He’s not their player and an easy target

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2035 on: June 01, 2021, 06:24:02 AM »
Barnsley got to the playoffs and he’s loved there. Can see that reunion happening?

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2036 on: June 01, 2021, 07:28:58 AM »
If we were allowed to bring on Connor to take free kicks only and then immediately take him off, that would be ideal

Hopefully he will find a team in the championship that wants him for next season

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2037 on: June 10, 2021, 07:15:24 AM »
Don't think it helps that Hourihane is great at whipping balls into the box and the Swansea strikers average height is 2'6".

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2038 on: June 10, 2021, 10:53:14 AM »
that's what loads of sheep do to you.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2039 on: June 10, 2021, 12:33:24 PM »
Started for Ireland the other night but you lose the will to live watching them so I didn't bother. Got subbed on the hour mark which mirrored his latter record at Swansea. Suggests that he's starting because of his name/reputation but not imposing himself on games and being taken-off at more or less the earliest opportunity....kind of like a lower-rent Barkley.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:42:35 PM by eamonn »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal