collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 300047 times)

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1725 on: January 16, 2021, 12:21:55 PM »
Have always had time for Conor even when many on here were critical.  He has more than made a contribution in the Premier League and his free kicks are a powerful weapon off the bench.  A nice guy too and I would keep him for now

Same here and see where we are in the summer. I'd also imagine he's a good, grounded presence to have around the younger members of the squad.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #1726 on: January 16, 2021, 12:26:23 PM »
Holograms time at Villa has been a big success and he did his share of helping Villa back to the premier league. It is time for him to move on now though to prolong his playing career. No good sitting on our bench until he retires. He can still do a job for someone in the championship

Why do people still call him this - it’s not funny and is an insult to a player who made a crucial contribution in stopping us being a laughing stock. We had lots of piss takers in the last ten years who deserve our disdain, but Hourihane is a good player, a good professional and has always given us his all - he deserves respect.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1727 on: January 16, 2021, 12:48:45 PM »
He is a Championship player.

He's done a lot for us and he can, on occasion still do the odd bit in this league. But I think physically the game at this level passes him by. I wish him nothing but well, but think he along with a few others needs moving on.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1728 on: January 16, 2021, 12:53:35 PM »
With the amount of games coming up, players recovering from covid etc, I wouldn’t let him go yet.

I think we’ll need him.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1729 on: January 16, 2021, 12:53:40 PM »
I'll always remember him for whacking that one in against the Albion in the play-off semi-final at Villa Park.  That in itself has him a hero to me.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #1730 on: January 16, 2021, 01:31:08 PM »
He’s been a very decent servant for us but his time is coming to an end - I just hope that’s isn’t until the summer, we’ll need the players given we’re going to have to play so many games in a short period of time. Why take the risk?

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #1731 on: January 16, 2021, 02:06:52 PM »
I'll always remember him for whacking that one in against the Albion in the play-off semi-final at Villa Park.  That in itself has him a hero to me.

Totally agree, he’s scored some crucial goals none more so than that one

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1732 on: January 16, 2021, 02:11:14 PM »
I think he’s been a super player for us and reached the top of his ability with us. And that ability at times has led to some really good performances but certainly a number of truly brilliant goals. He’s been a great professional, dedicated and good to have around the club. And I wouldn’t have an issue with someone like him, a bit like Elmo being at the club. But sometimes things just come to an end, and this may just be the best for the remainder of his career to step down to a club lower in the league or help a club in the Championship compete for a spot in the PL.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1733 on: January 16, 2021, 02:27:57 PM »
I think he’s been a super player for us and reached the top of his ability with us. And that ability at times has led to some really good performances but certainly a number of truly brilliant goals. He’s been a great professional, dedicated and good to have around the club. And I wouldn’t have an issue with someone like him, a bit like Elmo being at the club. But sometimes things just come to an end, and this may just be the best for the remainder of his career to step down to a club lower in the league or help a club in the Championship compete for a spot in the PL.

Totally agree.  He's been great for the club but we are a step up for him now and we need an upgrade.  In fact, if we could get that upgrade in now, it would really help us with all of the games in hand we have as a better player would be guaranteed to make a difference, where we can only hope that Hourihane might.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 02:30:05 PM by Steve67 »

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1734 on: January 16, 2021, 02:34:06 PM »
If he wants regular football then he has earned the right to control his destiny and to ask to leave/loan. However, I certainly wouldn’t be pushing him out the door unless we received an attractive offer.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1735 on: January 16, 2021, 02:35:29 PM »
No idea whether there's anything in this story but I just wonder whether the promotion of Aaron Ramsey, Chukwuemeka and Philogene-Bidace to the first team squad wasn't just for the Liverpool cup game and whether they're going to start being incorporated into the first team squad for the rest of the season. Keeping Hourihane around just as a back-up option isn't being very respectful of him or what he's done for us and it could just be blocking the path for these kids from being more involved. We're in a good spot and it could be a good time to get these guys a bit more involved. We're very serious about youth recruitment and as part of that it helps to show a clear pathway to the first team squad if you're good enough.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #1736 on: January 16, 2021, 02:55:41 PM »
If he does move on he has earned the right to get another club in the Premier League - he would improve 5 or 6 teams in the lower half so I hope we wouldn’t stand in his way.  It took him 10 years to work his way up to playing at the top level, so I think he deserves to have more than one season at it (especially given what’s happened in the last 12 months).

Equally, I would be more than happy to keep him in the squad, with the number of games we have left to play we will need good squad options, and to be fair he was playing really well in the games before we signed Barkley.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1737 on: January 16, 2021, 03:36:51 PM »
Here’s the other thing. We clearly have very young talented players looking to break through. And the club want to invest in that and have that be a big part of our future. So I would love for us to be that club who brings through top talent while buying genuine quality whenever we do spend. Actually I’d like for us to have the Dortmund model where have been able to attract some of the best young players in Europe and not be afraid to use them.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1738 on: January 16, 2021, 03:42:30 PM »

Hourihane, Hutton, El Ghazi, Tammy, Chester, Steer, Elmo, Adomah. All players I'll think highly of forever for their performances in that season for me.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1739 on: January 16, 2021, 03:47:41 PM »

Hourihane, Hutton, El Ghazi, Tammy, Chester, Steer, Elmo, Adomah. All players I'll think highly of forever for their performances in that season for me.

Same here. I’d also add Glenn Whelan to the list for the form he showed in the run in during our promotion season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal