collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 299836 times)

Offline DrGonzo

Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1740 on: January 16, 2021, 04:40:24 PM »
Much time and respect for Hourihane from me, too.  If he is moving on then I wish him all of the best and thank him for some excellent service.  If more of our midfield signings of the last 10 years had had the same level of professionalism as Conor things may hace gone better for us.  Good lad!!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1741 on: January 16, 2021, 08:03:34 PM »
Conor isn't going to play much for us now, not if we're aspiring to be top half - I hope he holds out for a Premier League move, he's got enough in his locker to play for a bottom half team.

Offline VillaSpen

« Reply #1742 on: January 16, 2021, 08:17:31 PM »
Conor's goal against the Blues in front of a packed Holte was just superb too. I think he'll be filed in the Garry Parker. In a couple of years time I'll see a youtube video of his Villa goals and think he was maybe a little bit underrated because time will erase the shortcomings a bit.

As has been stated already he was a big part of that promotion winning side and the one before it. He's not the calibre of player we're now looking at but I hope he'll be remembered fondly when he moves on.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1743 on: January 16, 2021, 08:33:47 PM »
In summary he has done a job for us.  What else could you want from a player.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1744 on: January 16, 2021, 09:07:34 PM »
I think he'll be filed in the Garry Parker. In a couple of years time I'll see a youtube video of his Villa goals and think he was maybe a little bit underrated because time will erase the shortcomings a bit.

Reckon that's absolutely bang on.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1745 on: January 16, 2021, 11:51:10 PM »
Conor isn't going to play much for us now, not if we're aspiring to be top half - I hope he holds out for a Premier League move, he's got enough in his locker to play for a bottom half team.

100%.

I've said it before, but if Ashley Westwood can carve out a career as a Premier League player, Conor's good enough to do so.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1746 on: January 17, 2021, 01:58:02 AM »
I think he'll be filed in the Garry Parker. In a couple of years time I'll see a youtube video of his Villa goals and think he was maybe a little bit underrated because time will erase the shortcomings a bit.

Reckon that's absolutely bang on.

A bit like Tommy Hitz too.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1747 on: January 17, 2021, 11:47:32 AM »
Yes, Parker and Hitz are good comparisons.  It's probably best he leaves as he's perfectly good enough to play regularly elsewhere. I'd wish him well if he does.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1748 on: January 17, 2021, 11:54:21 AM »
I like him and he's turned in some vital performaces and goals. That said I suspected that keeping him on after promotion smelled a bit like  a sentiemental decision. He'll be fantastic asset for a top level Championship team as he was for us.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1749 on: January 17, 2021, 12:52:33 PM »
I like Conor. Seems a nice guy, hard working. To my mind he's a bit too good for the Championship, but not quite good enough to nail down a regular starting place in the PL. Wherever he is, though, I think he needs to be playing regularly over the next 6 months or so. I can't see him staying beyond this summer, and I think we should be doing everything we can to make sure that when that time comes he'll have a few options on the table.

Think he'd be a solid, frugal signing for a newly promoted PL club in the summer. Good enough to make a contribution in the PL, and if they get relegated they'll have a quality player at Championship level.

Offline mike

« Reply #1750 on: January 17, 2021, 02:33:03 PM »
I'm glad that whatever else happened, he had the chance of tweeting back that fan who said years ago he would never play in the PL, let alone score a goal.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1751 on: January 17, 2021, 02:39:30 PM »
I'm glad that whatever else happened, he had the chance of tweeting back that fan who said years ago he would never play in the PL, let alone score a goal.

That's the Cork lot for you!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1752 on: January 17, 2021, 02:41:31 PM »
Memories like elephants, the Corkonians.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1753 on: January 17, 2021, 08:34:19 PM »
There was no sentimentality at all in keeping Conor last season. With so many players leaving, it was important that we kept the core of the squad together.

In the final run-in last season, he assisted five of our last six goals! So, without him, we would surely have gone down.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #1754 on: January 18, 2021, 10:08:36 AM »
I've never quite got why some of our fans have such a low opinion of Hourihane.  I mean Ok there have been games in the past when you don't notice him for ages, but he's the sort of player that is always capable of popping up with something when you need it.  He played a big part in us getting promoted and has certainly shown he's good enough to play in the Premier League, even if its not a regular starter.

I can remember him being taken off against the stripeys a couple of years ago, and the way some fans around me reacted to him made me think it was Lescott being hauled off.

Says a lot about the man-management of set up that Smith has down there that, he hasn't moaned about not being in the team, like we've had from players in the past, when the likes of O'Neill just discarded players at the drop of a hat.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal