collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 302772 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1650 on: December 12, 2020, 10:01:15 PM »
Conor could be in the team next Sunday as Luiz is out.
Thursday.

Thursday is the sort of game you might be thinking about resting Luiz for in any case.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1651 on: December 13, 2020, 12:21:26 AM »
Thursday? Have we qualified for next season's Europa League already? Nice work!

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1652 on: December 13, 2020, 10:00:07 AM »
If Barkley is back I can see us sticking with Ramsey, as thought he did alright. I like Hourihane and he’s been great for us but he’s sliding down the pecking order again after yesterday.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1653 on: December 13, 2020, 12:30:39 PM »
If Barkley is back I can see us sticking with Ramsey, as thought he did alright. I like Hourihane and he’s been great for us but he’s sliding down the pecking order again after yesterday.

If Ross doesn’t make Thursday, it could be a last chance for Conor. Put in a big performance and he might have a chance of staying in for Albion.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1654 on: December 13, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »
Hourihane did well for us in that holding role at times in that run before and including the play off final but don't think he is up to it in the top division. Would need someone sitting next to him like Luiz did at West Ham. Don't think Nakamba is up to it either but I think he will get the nod against Burnley. Luiz being out also robs us of a right footed option in the centre of the park, Hourihane, McGinn and Nakamba are all very much left sided. Ramsey I guess will keep his place as a result next to Nakamba with McGinn further forward.

It's going to be a difficult one for our midfield on Thursday night. Going to need Grealish and Watkins back to their best to get a result.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1655 on: December 13, 2020, 02:23:20 PM »
Hourihane did well for us in that holding role at times in that run before and including the play off final but don't think he is up to it in the top division. Would need someone sitting next to him like Luiz did at West Ham. Don't think Nakamba is up to it either but I think he will get the nod against Burnley. Luiz being out also robs us of a right footed option in the centre of the park, Hourihane, McGinn and Nakamba are all very much left sided. Ramsey I guess will keep his place as a result next to Nakamba with McGinn further forward.

It's going to be a difficult one for our midfield on Thursday night. Going to need Grealish and Watkins back to their best to get a result.

I remain convinced that you are Roy Keane, bronte.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1656 on: December 13, 2020, 03:34:13 PM »
All good football teams and managers continuously improve their sides, and one of the ways of doing that is by upgrading the weaker parts of the team. Hourihane was fine as an upper Championship/lower Premier League midfielder, but now it's evident that he's one of the weaker members of the squad.  That's not meant with any disrespect at all as he has been a good servant, but it's probably best for him to move on, especially as he's still a key member of the Irish national side.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1657 on: December 13, 2020, 07:11:26 PM »
He can still play a part between now and the summer then it may be time to thank him for his service and help get the right move for him.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1658 on: December 13, 2020, 08:06:42 PM »
There are 3 squad fillers taking up space on the wage bill I’d shift well before Hourihane. Lansbury Taylor and Kalinic.

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #1659 on: December 13, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »
There are 3 squad fillers taking up space on the wage bill I’d shift well before Hourihane. Lansbury Taylor and Kalinic.

I think we will sooner forfeit a game before Lansbury and Kalinic play for us again. Don't know why we just don't pay both of them off to leave. Taylors contract is up in the summer, wouldn't be much of a surprise if he left in Jan either.

I think Hourihane could be out of contract this summer too, can anyone confirm? Would surely have a lot of championship clubs interested in him if so with 2.5 year contracts on offer.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1660 on: December 13, 2020, 08:48:07 PM »
Probably time to move him on in next six months to a top half championship club but overall been excellent servant to club. Compare him to Lansbury who came in same window and say no more.

Or likes of Burnley or Newcastle would probably take him as squad player.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1661 on: December 13, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »
Hasnt he played in every division too?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1662 on: December 13, 2020, 09:27:48 PM »
Hasnt he played in every division too?

Yep I first saw him play for Plymouth against Stourbridge in the cup about a decade ago and Plymouth were league 2 at the time. Then moved up to Barnsley and helped them get promoted to the championship and eventually did the same with us.

Of course it's frustrating when we play him v a Leicester or Southampton and he barely touches the ball but overall he's been a fantastic value for money signing and we weren't signing too many of those around the 2016-17 period. Or the 5 years before.

As Risso says above sometimes it comes to a point where we have to move some of the good guys on. If him going for 5-6m helps getting Barkley in full time we obviously have to do it.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #1663 on: December 13, 2020, 09:56:55 PM »
Agree with most that’s been said. But think I’d still rather have Hourihane in the side on Thursday instead of Nakamba.  a midfield three of mcginn, Ramsey and hourihane (or nakamba), leaves me feeling a little nervous against them bunch of bruisers.

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #1664 on: December 14, 2020, 12:07:40 AM »

I remain convinced that you are Roy Keane, bronte.

Ouch.....think Keano signed Hourihane twice but didn't play him once.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal