collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 302870 times)

Offline mike

Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1680 on: December 29, 2020, 11:14:06 PM »
I can't help but think that Conor's got one more Alan Huttonesque last fling in him to secure his place in folklore.

You may well be right. I hope you are.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1681 on: December 29, 2020, 11:43:38 PM »
I like him but we're aiming for a level that I think is beyond him now.  He's behind Barkley, Trez, Ramsey and Nakamba in the pecking order so unless we have a lot of injuries he wouldn't even get in the side on a cup run.

He's lower-Prem level though so I could easily see him getting a move to one of the bottom third teams in January or the Summer.

Christ, if Ashley Westwood can carve out a career in the Prem, Conor can!!!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1682 on: December 29, 2020, 11:50:15 PM »
See Burnley getting a takeover so we could get a bit of money out of them for him next month as he'll be an obvious target for Dyche given how well Westwood and Lowton have done up there.

Been an excellent servant for us but his time has passed given Ramsey is regularly getting infront of him. Mind you I thought that about AEG 2 months ago!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1683 on: December 30, 2020, 07:21:11 AM »
He has been a good servant and has made the most out of his limited talent. Has never done enough as a midfielder with or without the ball because of his lack of mobility.
A decent left foot but not much else. Very grateful for his contribution and attitude.
Still may have a bit part role to play this season. But his time is coming to a close.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #1684 on: December 30, 2020, 10:56:57 AM »
It seems a shame to let his contract run out in 6 months and get nothing for him, if he were to move on. Surely a lower level PL midfielder would command a decent fee?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1685 on: December 30, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
His attitude is exemplary and his left foot is brilliant. He's done really well for us in the time he's been here.

We should only let him go when we have someone better lined upand even then only if the squad will be too big. I'd like to see him in a coaching capacity at some point because he strikes me as the perfect role model for the younger players.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #1686 on: December 30, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »
It seems a shame to let his contract run out in 6 months and get nothing for him, if he were to move on. Surely a lower level PL midfielder would command a decent fee?

I think his contract runs out in 2022.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1687 on: December 30, 2020, 11:06:24 AM »
I think he'll look to leave. Unlike Lansbury he doesn't strike me as the kind of player to be happy sitting on his arse getting paid.

I also read an interesting interview with Samatta recently who said Smith was completely up front with him in the summer, telling him Watkins would be first choice and with Wes and Davis he'd struggle to get a game. I can imagine a similar conversation will happen with Conor soon if it hasn't already.

Offline Tom Stewart

« Reply #1688 on: December 30, 2020, 11:20:22 AM »

I did a bit of googling about this yesterday and although it's not completely clear, I think it actually runs until June 2021.

He signed improved terms when we got promoted but not an extension as far as I can see.

For the money we paid for him, he's been an absolutely fantastic signing - his vital goal contributions helped get us up and keep us there.

The style of the team has moved on and we simply need more legs and muscle in central midfield to compete in the top half, and I think Smith knows that, hence his unwillingness to give Conor many minutes this season.

When he does leave, he should be held in as high a regard as the likes of James Chester.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #1689 on: December 30, 2020, 11:21:24 AM »
He's clearly not going to with us much longer. I wish him well.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1690 on: December 30, 2020, 12:33:51 PM »

I did a bit of googling about this yesterday and although it's not completely clear, I think it actually runs until June 2021.

He signed improved terms when we got promoted but not an extension as far as I can see.

For the money we paid for him, he's been an absolutely fantastic signing - his vital goal contributions helped get us up and keep us there.

The style of the team has moved on and we simply need more legs and muscle in central midfield to compete in the top half, and I think Smith knows that, hence his unwillingness to give Conor many minutes this season.

When he does leave, he should be held in as high a regard as the likes of James Chester.

I agree.   Whatever perceptions of  Conor's 100% are, he always gave it.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #1691 on: December 30, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »
Perhaps a bit like Bournemouth did with Tommy Elphick, we let his contract run down so even more clubs can pick him up without paying a fee. It does him a big favour in finding a new club.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1692 on: December 30, 2020, 12:42:14 PM »
The promotion squad of 18-19 was the most likeable Villa squad in years and he was integral to that. If he does go, then I’m sure he’ll go with all our best wishes.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1693 on: December 30, 2020, 12:44:42 PM »

Agreed, I like him and think he's done a great job for us. I remember saying around the time of the playoff defeat that I wouldn't be surprised if we got offers from the lower premier teams because I think that's pretty clearly his level. He'd improve the midfield of 5-6 premier league teams in my opinion.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1694 on: December 30, 2020, 12:46:11 PM »
I think he'll look to leave. Unlike Lansbury he doesn't strike me as the kind of player to be happy sitting on his arse getting paid.

I also read an interesting interview with Samatta recently who said Smith was completely up front with him in the summer, telling him Watkins would be first choice and with Wes and Davis he'd struggle to get a game. I can imagine a similar conversation will happen with Conor soon if it hasn't already.

No chance. Conor will still be here in February unless we bring someone in, which seems unlikely. He played 74 minutes as recently as the end of last month, and has been on the bench ever since. It's hardly like he has no chance of ever playing again.

The games will come thick and fast in the second part of the season. We have 24 games still to play (plus FA Cup). If we have a cup run we will be playing weekend then midweek more often than not. We would be lucky to escape any injuries in Conor's position. Wilfully reducing the size of the squad would be an act of negligence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal