collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 302629 times)

Online Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #765 on: April 02, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »
A bloke (who by the way keeps saying the annoying phrase 'Nigel you'll know this as well as me/better than me') rang WM tonight to say we miss Westwood and that Hourihane is no better than us and by the way we aren't good enough.

Just checked - Burnley hasn't won any game where Westwood has been involved. Proof that all is his fault... :D

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #766 on: April 02, 2017, 05:13:41 PM »
A bloke (who by the way keeps saying the annoying phrase 'Nigel you'll know this as well as me/better than me') rang WM tonight to say we miss Westwood and that Hourihane is no better than us and by the way we aren't good enough.

I heard that and that's where someone with a bit of nous would have pulled him up and said that they are different types of midfielder and therefore a comparison is a bit pointless.  Not Franksy though.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #767 on: April 02, 2017, 05:15:55 PM »

I heard that and that's where someone with a bit of nous would have pulled him up and said that they are different types of midfielder and therefore a comparison is a bit pointless.  Not Franksy though.

They are completely different players, Hourihane appears to have a 'forward' gear.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #768 on: April 02, 2017, 05:16:56 PM »
I see it differently. Lansbury, Hourihane and the others have come in, none have looked spectacular, none have really stood out, everyone will question the money spent, again, but at the end of it all we are on a run of 6 wins from 7, 1 goal conceded 6 clean sheets and making no bloopers, fighting hard and not really giving the opposition much of a sniff at goal. However they appear individually, as a team they are better than what has come before them and this is what we need to get out of this shit hole. Some of it is Bruce, some of it is them gelling but a good part of it too will be that they are better than the players they've replaced.

I want to see Bruce give Lansbury and Hourihane the chance to get forward a bit more.  Hourihane looked far better against Bristol City in a more advanced role.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #769 on: April 02, 2017, 05:35:18 PM »

Yes heard and the the radio chap let it go on without telling him that no way they are comparable but why stop Villa fans ranting!

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #770 on: April 02, 2017, 11:00:16 PM »
He played down the middle for Barnsley and was their best player.  We signed him and played him on the left and he looked completely out of sorts.  We put him in the middle and he looked great and then on Saturday put him back on the left and the game passed him by.

It's really not that hard Bruce - play the lad in the position he's good at or it's a waste of a shirt!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #771 on: April 02, 2017, 11:13:20 PM »

Yes heard and the the radio chap let it go on without telling him that no way they are comparable but why stop Villa fans ranting!

Yep.  Franks should have pointed that out to the caller, told him that it is in fact Jedinak who is a like for like comparison with Westwood and then asked him who he would prefer out of those two. 

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #772 on: April 10, 2017, 11:17:48 PM »

Yep.  Franks should have pointed that out to the caller, told him that it is in fact Jedinak who is a like for like comparison with Westwood and then asked him who he would prefer out of those two.

It's Franks.  Why let facts get in the way of a chance to let someone have a sly dig?

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #773 on: April 15, 2017, 06:36:32 PM »
At the moment he is masquerading  as a midfielder in our team. Totally ineffective in creating or stopping opposition.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #774 on: April 15, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »
one cross of note today and a shot I think, but other than that totally anonymous

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #775 on: April 15, 2017, 07:41:59 PM »
Possibly did more than Lansbury

Offline Chris87

« Reply #776 on: April 15, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »
Lansbury and Hourihane are a bit like Gerrard and Lampard were for England at the moment. Absolutely brilliant playing in different teams but stick them in the same MF and it all goes to pot!

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #777 on: April 15, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »
Possibly did more than Lansbury

Really great left foot. Needs to start imposing himself more. That short corner to Atrocious Adoma, why?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #778 on: April 16, 2017, 10:12:35 PM »
Seems like I'm on my own but I thought he looked good yesterday, playing in his actual position as an attacking midfielder, right up to the point we switched to 442.  From then on he disappeared but so did every other Villa player.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #779 on: April 26, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
I'm hoping a summer with a, fingers crossed, improved squad will hopefully enable him to fit into the side. He's been underwhelming so far, but I'm hopeful he can produce a lot more next season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal